Eagle Creek- Herman Creek Loop: A self guided tour

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Re: Eagle Creek- Herman Creek Loop: A self guided tour

Post by Sean Thomas » October 9th, 2014, 6:20 pm

drm wrote:You can tell the experienced (jaded?) EC hiker: no pics of Tunnel Falls (or any of the falls for that matter). :lol:

I was last up Herman Creek in early summer and it seemed so low at the trail crossing just below Noble Camp that I wondered if it would even be flowing at all up there late in the summer. Was there any water there?

Ha good point :D You're only cool if you dont post pics of the falls at EC 8-) Ok not really, its probably less cool as most of us love to get a look at flow and volume of water in the stream/falls as well as current conditions, like when that next big log is going to come crashing down in front of punchbowl :D

There was water in the East Fork Herman Crossing but it was looking pretty dry.

mjuliana wrote:
Sean Thomas wrote:
I just need to keep telling myself that Sean is not normal and that a 12-mile day hike is just fine... :D :?: :lol: . Do you do ultra-marathons by chance?

BTW - I want one! How do I get my PH button?

:lol: :lol: 12 mile hikes are just fine lol! The best hikes are usually in the 10-18 mile range but they can take just as long or longer than some of the 30-40 milers :D Ofcourse, if you're climbing/scrambling or hiking offtrail in a rough area, or even a rough trail, then just a few miles in those conditions can put 20 miles on a good trail to shame in terms of difficulty. Mainly I just like to get a full day out of it if possible, whether its 2 miles or 20 :) But sometimes the 20+ers says things like, "you know you want too!" and, "you wont be sore the next day :D

No ultra marathons, or any marathons for that matter, just a little bit of hiking each week :D Actually I should probably practice sagging more often outside of the big trips but I've never really liked running :lol: I started running on the trails where as a lot of trail runners were already established athletes in some form of running or other physical activity that involved a lot of running. So they have essential skills/knowledge and experience in running but may lack experience in things many hikers are very familiar with like stream crossings, rough tread and/or scrambling situations etc. Just like running, all of those things involve learning and practice to do correctly but if you've already worked hard to be the best runner you can be, then translating that same work ethic to learning more about trails and technical aspects of trail running will probably be a big help.

Also it seems once people start running in places like Forest Park and the gorge/Mt Hood etc they often begin to take interest in a lot of the things we as hikers were already interested in and/or motivated by in terms of getting out there in the first place. I guess I sort of did it backwards :? :oops: :D I kinda stumbled into hiking to learn more about plants and to see/hear/touch all the incredible things the natural world has to offer, then started to enjoy running in that setting. A lot of runners seek these areas out with the primary focus on running in the first place. If that interest holds then hopefully all the things that motivate us as hikers to get out as often as we do in turn motivates the runner aswell. Well, that was probably way more than you wanted lol but to sum it up im basically just a "fast walker" :)

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » October 9th, 2014, 11:04 pm

RobinB wrote:Yea! Very nicely done Sean. As usual, your day beats my week :)

Hey thanks RB :) on mileage maybe but your adventures from this past summer have been more than inspiring!

Eric Peterson wrote:Wow, about 6 and half hours to do 27 miles... that's anything but saggy man!

Must be faster to stay off the PCT and run Frontage RD into town, more of a direct route...

Thanks EP!! Using the frontage road is kind of nice after the loop and definitely seems more direct. We have to get back up to Tomlike sometime soon, were both probably going through withdrawal :D

forestkeeper wrote::D Every one of your posts are inspirational & informational! You are thee Ultimate Portland Hiker! :lol: When did you get a GPS? I was thinking you only used map & compass. Nice pics.

Thanks FK! I'm definitely just a regular old Ultimate Portland Hiker though :) Jo bought me a gps last Christmas and its been a lot of fun, and a great aid on certain trips. I leave it at home a lot but always bring a map with me.

drm wrote:Is it just me, or do other regulars on ph.org but who nonetheless live well outside the Metro area think it would be a bit weird to wear a button that says they are a Portland Hiker?
retired jerry wrote:maybe the website should be changed to oregonandnorthwestwashington.org or areawithin100or200milesofportlandoranywhereelseforthatmatter.org? :)

How about hashtagtwittergrambookinstafaceultimateportlandhikersplusthosewholivewelloutsidethemetroarea? Sorry, its after midnight :D Seriously though, these name changes will come along sooner or later when we switchover to Space Age PH.

Splintercat wrote:Working on that, Dean… :)

Sean, amazing report as always, but I'm wondering about your trail-running slang -- is it from running? Or just from your amazing mind..? For example, "tarped out" and "flubber-sagged"… I can pretty much guess what those mean (they almost qualify as onomatopoeia), but am curious if there's a running dialect that is sort of a nylon/lycra parallel to surfer speak..?

Curious (and apparently "flubber-sagged") regular hikers want to know!

Tom :D

Haha :lol: I've heard runners say things like bonk out and use terms like death march etc but I believe "sagg" and "tarp out" were brought to fame by some of our very own :D I used to hear EP and mayhem say "tarp out" and "sagg" a lot and I thought it was hilarious. Flubber-sagged is just the next evolutionary stage in the process :D

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 10th, 2014, 5:04 pm

Okay, so in THAT case, might I suggest you use the format sagged™, tarped™ and flubber-sagged™ to protect your patent, Sean!

Tom :D

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 20th, 2014, 12:05 pm

♫♪♬ Anticipay-ay-tion... ♫♪♬ (Playing ketchup!)

Awesome loop, Sean! This is one I think I'd like to do, but need a bit more than 6.5 hours of daylight to even consider it. :)
mjuliana wrote:BTW - I want one! How do I get my PH button?
Brad has brought them to the Meet-n-Deets in the past. Not sure if he's planning to this year?
Splintercat wrote:Working on that, Dean… :)
I'd predict Dean won't be too thrilled with that plan, either.
retired jerry wrote:maybe the website should be changed to oregonandnorthwestwashington.org or areawithin100or200milesofportlandoranywhereelseforthatmatter.org? :)
So I'm thinking, "I'm an OPB Listening Area Hiker!" :lol:
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » November 20th, 2014, 6:37 pm

Well... I guess it was an ok report for not having any waterfall pictures. :lol: Really though Sean, nice report. The distance you cover never ceases to amaze me! Thanks for sharing your adventures. :)
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group