Mt. Margaret Backcountry Super-loop: 10/4/14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Born2BBrad

Re: Mt. Margaret Backcountry Super-loop: 10/4/14

Post by Born2BBrad » November 26th, 2014, 8:00 am

kepPNW wrote:I've thought about doing this, but always in the opposite direction. In hindsight, if you were to do it again, would you save Whittier for the end, or get it in right up front?
I spent a great deal of time going over the options of a mega loop in that area, and what direction to go. I went counter clockwise because I wanted to gain elevation sooner and gain it more gradually. The Whittier Ridge part definitely was the hardest part. All those ups and downs and slow going. Maybe next time I'll add Coldwater Peak if there is more daylight.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 26th, 2014, 9:16 am

Born2BBrad wrote:
kepPNW wrote:I've thought about doing this, but always in the opposite direction. In hindsight, if you were to do it again, would you save Whittier for the end, or get it in right up front?
I spent a great deal of time going over the options of a mega loop in that area, and what direction to go. I went counter clockwise because I wanted to gain elevation sooner and gain it more gradually. The Whittier Ridge part definitely was the hardest part. All those ups and downs and slow going. Maybe next time I'll add Coldwater Peak if there is more daylight.
Just realizing now I've never come down South Coldwater Ridge. I'm inclined to try this loop, but do it clockwise, which would make the go-nogo on Coldwater Peak easier since it'd be last. :) No shortcuts at the end, on the CCW, and I remember clearly how my knees felt after just 15 miles (lots of bushwhacking) when I finally got on Whittier!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » November 26th, 2014, 9:22 am

Karl, have you done Whittier yet? The ridge is better if you start it on the south end and head north towards Mt. Margaret; otherwise, the "peak" is right at the beginning, and then you spend a long time getting back off the ridge.

I do this loop as a lollipop starting and ending at South Coldwater - going clockwise requires you to lose EG from the ridge down to the bottom of Coldwater Canyon. Going up Coldwater Canyon is also better than going down it - not only does this put you in the better orientation for Whittier, but the canyon views get better and better the farther you go.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

miah66

Post by miah66 » November 26th, 2014, 10:56 am

Born2BBrad wrote: The Dome in the upper right:

Looking back at Mt. Margaret (center) from the top of Mt. Teragram:
What awesome photos! Those would make nice wallpapers for my office computer.

It was a lot scarier last October when there was snow on the Whittier Ridge Trail:
One of the best hikes of last year! Even with the snow, it was amazing. It was fun following the goat/coyote tracks along the ridge. Amazing that they walk the same path as we do! Remember how much snow was piled up at the base of Mts Teragram/Margaret? I'm sorry I missed this one this year, but I was traipsing around Italy checking out mostly man-made wonders:

"Tomb of Lorenzo" - sculpted by Michaelangelo

And a few natural wonders:

Gran Paradiso Nat'l Park

:)

Let's get out on the trail again, soon.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 26th, 2014, 12:56 pm

Bosterson wrote:Karl, have you done Whittier yet? The ridge is better if you start it on the south end and head north towards Mt. Margaret; otherwise, the "peak" is right at the beginning, and then you spend a long time getting back off the ridge.
Yeah, Peder and I did Whittier a couple months ago, in that direction (track).

Ummm, well, we went north-to-south (NW2SE?) towards Margaret, actually. ;)
Bosterson wrote:I do this loop as a lollipop starting and ending at South Coldwater - going clockwise requires you to lose EG from the ridge down to the bottom of Coldwater Canyon. Going up Coldwater Canyon is also better than going down it - not only does this put you in the better orientation for Whittier, but the canyon views get better and better the farther you go.
Why go up South Coldwater, only to go back down (to the Lakes Trail) before going back up again? (Other than padding the stats. :) )
Karl
Back on the trail, again...