Olallie Lake-- fall colors, no people 10/6/14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Olallie Lake-- fall colors, no people 10/6/14

Post by pdxgene » October 6th, 2014, 7:04 pm

Wow, 80 degrees with just a hint of a breeze at 5,000' in October.. Yay! :D
I took the southern option to get there. It's 30 miles longer from here in Tigard via Detroit , 46 back to 4690 and 4220 into the lake from the north. The 4690 junction is 7 miles further than the 4220 nightmare into the lake from Detroit (24 total). Don't take the shortcut, take the xtra 7 miles and go in the normal way. And you make up time in that 30 miles as traffic zips along faster on I-5/22 than 224 when its in great condition. That Timothy Lake option sounded like a nightmare for me from here. It takes me almost 2 hours just to get to Timothy. That'd be a 4-5 hour one-way trip..
Fall color there is actually past peak a bit but with the sun in the right place it's still pretty darn nice. The resort closed yesterday and they are packing things up. The campgrounds are in off-season status. You can use them but bring what you need and take it out with you.
Starting upon arrival just after 10a..

Past the campgrounds and onto the Olallie Lake Trail..

With the lake and Mt Jefferson always just off to your right on this first stretch to the end of the lake..

With a left at the south end of the lake onto the Mon-Olallie Trail and past pretty little Nep-Te-Pa Lake..

Continuing onto the Monon Lake Trail and deep blue Monon Lake. Going clockwise (take a left) is best for viewing the fall colors..

When you get to the other side of the lake that will have you going in the best direction so stuff (mainly the sun) is in front of you..

You'll pass a number of views of Olallie Butte and its reflection in Monon Lake. Some from great walk-in campsites right on the lake.

There's a short stretch of FS4220 as you switch side of the lake. A look down the road before heading back onto the trail..

This side of the lake has the best color. You really really need the sun to be almost right in front of you to get the best colors..

A couple right on the edge of Monon Lake..

Back to the colors along the trail..

And one of the many boardwalk sections. It's dry now but this trail is a bog right after the snow melts.

The bright midday October sun over the Monon Lake Trail..

Old beargrass and the fall color right by the lakeshore..

And just the tip of Mt Jefferson. Mt Jeff is the highlight of the trail around Olallie, Monon has the better colors.

Fireweed at the end of its cycle..

Looking down into the clear water of Monon Lake..

Both lake trails are just under 3 miles each and the connector trail is about a 1/2 mile..

Pearly everlasting is still the dominant flower along both trails..

I like coming back on the Olallie Lake Trail the same way I went out instead of doing the other side...

Part of that side is on the road and the best Mt Jefferson views are from this side..

Afternoon reflection in the waters of Olallie Lake..

With my kayak enjoying the view before we pack up and hit the road home about 3pm.. What a day..

I'd been waiting for this day and destination these last three beautiful days when I was stuck at work. Finally, my turn.. :P
Album here http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgene/OlallieLake20

jeffstatt

Re: Olallie Lake-- fall colors, no people 10/6/14

Post by jeffstatt » October 7th, 2014, 7:31 am

Thanks for all those great photos Gene. "no people" ah... Last time I was out there was late July 2012. The parking lots and campgrounds were completely full and the air was a fog of mosquitoes. It's comforting to hear that there's a time of year where you can get some solitude out there. It's easily my favorite part of Oregon (at least until I finally get into the Three Sisters Wilderness)

Hey Gene, are you color-blind by chance? I ask because I'm colorblind. Your photos are the only ones I can really see the oranges, pinks and reds!

pdxgene

Re: Olallie Lake-- fall colors, no people 10/6/14

Post by pdxgene » October 7th, 2014, 8:20 am

jeffstatt wrote:Thanks for all those great photos Gene. "no people" ah... Last time I was out there was late July 2012. The parking lots and campgrounds were completely full and the air was a fog of mosquitoes. It's comforting to hear that there's a time of year where you can get some solitude out there. It's easily my favorite part of Oregon (at least until I finally get into the Three Sisters Wilderness)

Hey Gene, are you color-blind by chance? I ask because I'm colorblind. Your photos are the only ones I can really see the oranges, pinks and reds!
Hey, thanx Jeff.. After Labor Day things really calm down there, especially on weekdays. The past two years the mosquitoes have seemed to die out just before the 15th or so of July. I've stayed on that night the last two years and had no problems. They've been lighter snow years so they seem to hatch early and be gone sooner. The two years before that I got in at the end of June before the hatch on the heavier snow years.

I have really crummy vision but not color blindness. That's one of the reasons I rarely edit photos. I figure the camera lens sees better than I do and I should just leave it the way it comes out. I do try and make sure I'm on the right side of the colors to take full advantage of the light which usually means shooting into the sun which a lot of people seem to not like to do.. Many times they'll look amazing from one side and just dead from the other.