Stagman Ridge

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Stagman Ridge

Post by drm » October 5th, 2014, 9:22 am

I did the 10 mile or so lollipop loop on Stagman Ridge yesterday. This hike is in the Field Guide as Lookinglass Lake via Stagman Ridge. The unofficial section of trail between Stagman Ridge and the lake has been much affected by the Cascade Creek Fire 2 years ago. A number of trees are down on this trail and in a few places it gets a bit hard to follow. Not too hard, but it used to be as good as a maintained trail. And the logs that were across Cascade Creek for so many years have been washed away. Of course in October, the creek is easy to rock hop. Might not be in July. Temps were verging on hot today. Didn't see another person all day, though there was one other car at the trailhead when I arrived.

Nice vine maple along FR 23 and here near the trailhead.

Some huckleberry color

The big meadow

The junction with the unofficial "Graveyard Camp" trail. No verbiage now, just a post. The loop goes right here by those rocks and returns on the left. Doing the loop the other way might present a bit more difficulty finding the other end of this trail at Cascade Creek if you're not familiar with it.

Cascade Creek is easy to cross in October

The "new" (post fire) Lookinglass Lake

The falls on Cascade Creek. To get to this viewpoint, from about the midpoint of the lake, cross over the small ridge NW of the lake. It's not more than 100 yards from water's edge and there are social trails

Horseshoe Meadow is dry

bobcat

Re: Stagman Ridge

Post by bobcat » October 7th, 2014, 5:51 am

Thanks for the report. I'll update the Field Guide re: the condition of the cutoff. I looked at it from the Cascade Creek side about a month ago and could tell it had not been used much since the fire.

jeffstatt

Re: Stagman Ridge

Post by jeffstatt » October 7th, 2014, 7:13 am

Nice! Man I might want to get up there this weekend. That's the first photo I've seen of Lookinglass Lake post fire. :( Actually it's quite beautiful.