Starvation Ridge to Warren Lake

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
lenac

Starvation Ridge to Warren Lake

Post by lenac » September 28th, 2014, 4:02 pm

FYI - the total mileage for the hike from the Starvation Creek Trailhead to Warren Lake and back is 8.6 miles, not 6.4.

This was a great hike on a beautiful day! I was eager to do something steep and challenging but that wouldn't take all day - so this was perfect.

The description is pretty accurate. From the Starvation Creek Trailhead, I started on a path adjacent to I-84 for 0.2 miles, then I climbed an intense 0.4 miles on the Starvation Ridge Cutoff, which took me to a junction between the Starvation Ridge Trail and Mt Defiance Trail. From there, I followed the Starvation Ridge Trail for another 3.7 miles until I got to Warren Lake. Parts of the trail were easier than others - some areas were very rocky and the path was narrow. It was a very challenging ascent. Extremely steep! But nice to arrive at Warren Lake at the end which was so peaceful. I would love to camp there some day. I did see two campsites with fire pits. Nobody was around.

After eating lunch by the lake, I headed back down. The descent was almost more challenging than the ascent because it was so steep -- I fell down a couple times.

The best part about this hike is that during the first 2 miles, you see plenty of gorgeous views of the Gorge. Then as you get higher up, you start to see stunning mountain views too.
Attachments
SR2.jpg
Mountain view from about 3 miles in, just before arriving at Warren Lake.
WL1.jpg
Warren Lake
SR1.jpg
View of the Gorge, about 1 mile into the hike.

forestkeeper

Re: Starvation Ridge to Warren Lake

Post by forestkeeper » September 30th, 2014, 6:50 am

Nice TR and great pics! I'm sorry you fell down a few times, hopefully you didn't get hurt. I use trekking poles on steep trails or the legs from my tripod. Thanks for sharing.

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » September 30th, 2014, 8:33 am

forestkeeper wrote:Nice TR and great pics! I'm sorry you fell down a few times, hopefully you didn't get hurt. I use trekking poles on steep trails or the legs from my tripod. Thanks for sharing.
Love that opening shot. Pretty sweet view. Trekking poles are the way to go!
Thanks,
Mike J

hiker4fun

Post by hiker4fun » October 2nd, 2014, 6:06 am

Nice report. I did the hike on Mt Defiance (not to Warren lake) few weeks back and fell down a couple of times while coming down too. :(

1st time I fell on one of the poles and broke it. I tried to manage with just one pole and fell down again. :oops:

I had to use another wooden makeshift pole the rest of the way. It is a steep one.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » October 3rd, 2014, 8:53 pm

mjuliana wrote:
forestkeeper wrote:Nice TR and great pics! I'm sorry you fell down a few times, hopefully you didn't get hurt. I use trekking poles on steep trails or the legs from my tripod. Thanks for sharing.
Love that opening shot. Pretty sweet view. Trekking poles are the way to go!
+1 on that opening shot. Reminds me of what fall is all about!