Multorpor Mountain - 9/20/14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

Multorpor Mountain - 9/20/14

Post by justpeachy » September 28th, 2014, 2:10 pm

After our little jaunt up Flag Mountain last Saturday, Greg and I headed over to tackle Multorpor Mountain. There IS a trail to the summit, even though it doesn't show up on any map I've ever looked at.

We parked at the Still Creek Campground and hiked up the Barlow Road, which is a ski trail in winter. Then we picked up a little connector trail that took us to a dirt road, then turned left another dirt road, then finally picked up the unsigned trail to the summit. It goes STRAIGHT up the mountain, with almost no switchbacks. Good grief. I was glad to see the summit come into view, where a lovely autumn spray of vine maple greeted us.

There's a mighty fine view of Mt. Hood up there:

There's a pretty nice view to the south, too:

Eureka Peak is the flat-topped mountain in the left foreground:

We were eye level with the tops of many trees, some of which had those huge crazy cones that remind me of old-fashioned Christmas candles.

We sat up there for awhile and enjoyed the view. We could hear Highway 26, but it wasn't nearly as loud as it had been at Flag Mountain earlier. It was a pleasant and uncrowded spot to sit and admire Mt. Hood.

On our descent I spotted a heart-shaped rock. :D

Then it was on Mt. Hood Brewing for a post-hike libation. Great day!

greenjello85

Re: Multorpor Mountain - 9/20/14

Post by greenjello85 » September 29th, 2014, 11:33 pm

Great pic of hood! The color of the vine maples is great right now.

bobcat

Re: Multorpor Mountain - 9/20/14

Post by bobcat » September 30th, 2014, 5:58 am

You can do this as a loop as a path leads around the south side of Multorpor Mt. via the Optimator Trail and into the Skibowl area. That is one of the best huckleberry gathering sites close to Government Camp.