Remembering a Legend: Three Sisters Loop in a Day- 9/22/14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Remembering a Legend: Three Sisters Loop in a Day- 9/22/14

Post by Sean Thomas » September 26th, 2014, 9:29 am

Sometimes life throws unexpected hurdles at us where our only option is to just keep fighting and staying close to those we love the most. This theme was ever present as Jojo and I hiked and ran around all Three Sisters last Monday. It wasnt so much the hike itself as the terrain was beautiful, the eg never too demanding and the trails in incredible shape. Just a couple of days before on Friday night my grandma passed away in her sleep at the youthful age of 92. I have been living with her for a couple of years now, helping my dad take care of her as her condition has continued to deteriorate. She has been a huge part of my life growing up and was just an amazing person. Born poor and disabled in Scappoose, Oregon in the early 20's, she climbed her way out of poverty and became one of the most respected ER nurses in the PNW. She taught me not to complain about things and to be grateful for everything I've ever had, especially my loved ones. She also loved Mckenzie Pass and used to hike and camp in the sisters area many decades ago, so it seemed fitting to head down there in remembrance. Actually she hiked part of the Eagle Creek Trail in the gorge a few times in the late 20's and early 30's as a kid but a bone disorder kept her from being able to go very far. I believe her love of nature and all things living greatly impacted my father, who shares the same caring attitude for animals and nature that many of us on this site also share. That love was passed onto me through him and even though it took over two decades for me to figure out how lucky we are to live in such an incredible place, im sure glad I finally did ;)

To make matters even more confusing my coworker committed suicide just a couple of days later. I work for a small landscaping company where my boss employs only myself and the aforementioned coworker so I got to know him really well over the last 5 years. He didn't have many friends or much family left and was working as a landscaper in his early 60's(not an easy task). Often times you just wish you could have said or done something that would have helped this person in their time of need. But these losses of loved ones or those close to us(as difficult as they may be) will affect all of us at some point in our lives. Maybe the most important thing we can do in this life is to remember how fortunate we are just to be alive, and to make the most of it while we have the chance? Somewhat in shock and carrying heavy hearts Jojo and I set out from the Lava Camp Lake TH off hwy 242 to finish a loop we have dreamed about for years. Big thanks to Retired Jerry for his field guide write-up and detailed info on water sources throughout the route, it was really helpful! We started quite a bit later than planned but we were still able to knock most of the hike out in the daytime. Here's me grabbing some H20 at Alder Creek:

Making our way through the burn was surreal as the sun began to penetrate the early morning cloud cover. I'm not religious nor do I have a taste for the super natural, but this scene was incredibly powerful:

Hiking through the Pole Creek burn early on offered an interesting look into a forest attempting to recover after the devastating fire. Here are a few as we made our way south:

Looking back at the rugged North Sister over a glacial stream:

Pretty soon we were approaching the highpoint of the day at Green Lakes Pass(7,000ft) where South Sister and Broken Top became the main attractions:

After an emotional morning things were really looking up once we hit the pass:

Heading down from the pass was amazing with South Sister right in your face:

Niether Jo or I had ever set foot in the area but I can totally see why Green Lakes is so popular, it was amazing!

Definitely an area with beauty that is hard to match:

Next up was the leg over to Moraine Lake:

Hopefully I can visit this place many more times over the next few decades, it was awesome :)

Making our way past Wickiup Plain and onto the PCT heading north around the west side of the Sisters was amazing, probably my favorite part of the day :) We could see Middle Sister peeking out!

Bachelor?

These flat pumice plains were a trip to hike through:

Here's a pano:

And my fav pic of the day, Jojo surging North across the plains:

We took a nice break at a beautiful meadow just before this junction:

Here's me studying the water source list RJ posted in the field guide, yes I printed it out and carried it all the way around lol :D

Raw emotion, a lack of sleep and the overall exertion required to get to our current point had taken its toll and we started slowing down pretty good. Jo had some relatively new sneakers on and she had built up a couple of nasty blisters under her right foot. I double bagged it most of the rest of the way while she toughed it out like a true champ:

Middle Sister offered some hope before the darkness settled in ;)

Things soon turned to pitch black before we hit the Obsidian Limited Use Area. We were both unsure of what to expect but had faith(ok i'll stop) :lol: that we would make it back around North Sister and finish this puppy off. Ofcourse, the night air brought out many creatures(mainly deer) as we made our way north with their eyeshine peeking through the woods every so often. Both of us would really like to get up to Opie Dilldock Pass before the snow comes back as it looks amazing up there! Here is some Obsidian and my foot :lol:

A few more ups and downs and a couple of stream crossings sat before us on our way back to Lava Camp Lake:

This was one of the most memorable hikes I've ever been on and it felt really good to knock it out before the days getting any shorter. The Three Sisters Wilderness is a gem that warrants its popularity in every sense of the word and will continue to amaze those who recreate inside its boundaries. On this day, it served as the perfect trip in our time of need and although I say this everytime :D this truly is an advenure I will never forget ;) On a closing note, I would like to say thanks to all who follow along and who have helped shape the person I am today. Im finally just starting to realize how lucky I am to be surrounded by such a caring and inspiring support system in terms of my family and friends. I guess I would just like to say, take every chance to let someone close to you know how important they really are in your life and how much you really love them, as you never know when you might not get the chance to do it again.

Waffle Stomper

Re: Remembering a Legend: Three Sisters Loop in a Day- 9/22/

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 26th, 2014, 9:44 am

Your grandmother clearly must have been a wonderful woman to have had such an impact on you. She was truly a gift to you which you carry along with and pass to all that you meet, even in through the world of the internet where people often don't meet. And, clearly your co-worker also had a great impact. Nature is a wonderful place to reflect, honor those have passed, and to lift up your soul.

Thank you for sharing this with us. A good reminder for all.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

kelkev

Post by kelkev » September 26th, 2014, 10:48 am

Inspiring trip report, Sean. I often reflect on what a beautiful state we live in, and how lucky I have been to have been able to share hundreds of trail miles with my father. Even though I am battling some debilitating foot issues and my father is getting older and facing his own health challenges, I am thankful for the family and friends in my life and the times shared togethed even if my hiking prowess has suffered as of late.

Thanks for sharing the report and the well-written words.

Kevin
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 26th, 2014, 11:11 am

I went through that with my mom a few years ago. Sad, yet nice that I could help her out. Her early years in the great depression and so forth were difficult. Her later years were much better.

One day to do the entire loop???? What a waste of a good several days of backpacking (says someone who couldn't possibly do that - you guys are amazing) :lol:

Good the field guide was helpful. Water still in Alder Creek? I'm surprised. I've seen it dried up late in the season.

I think the Three Sisters is my favorite. Varied terrain. Without the obnoxious canyons of Mt Hood.

Limey

Post by Limey » September 26th, 2014, 2:25 pm

What a wonderful way to honor your grandmother. I hope it was the beginning of a healing process for you. It is so difficult losing loved ones and friends. Over the past year I have lost a part time co-worker in a car wreck, a friends son to suicide and my boss of 22 years to cancer. Being out in nature is for me the best way to soothe the soul. Best wishes and condolences.

jdemott

Post by jdemott » September 26th, 2014, 3:18 pm

I'm sure your grandmother would be pleased to be so well remembered. Thanks for sharing a little bit of her life's story along with your trip report--it is a fine way to keep her memory alive.

That photo you describe as your favorite is really a great one--it captures an important feeling about hiking, as well as showing some beautiful country. As always, I am in awe of your ability to cover a lot of ground in a day. But...you miss a lot by hiking in the dark--you've got to get back there and see the Obsidian/Sunshine/Opie Dilldock area in daylight! It's fantastic.

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » September 26th, 2014, 4:10 pm

Sean Thomas wrote:Maybe the most important thing we can do in this life is to remember how fortunate we are just to be alive, and to make the most of it while we have the chance?
Very well said. A beautiful report, and what a wonderful way to honor your grandmother and friend. So sorry for your loss.

Also, you've inspired me to finally add the Sisters to my trip list! Thank you.
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » September 26th, 2014, 4:55 pm

Really nice tribute to your grandma and your friend, Sean. Sorry to hear about your loss. I can relate on both fronts, and also found being in the mountains to be a pretty good way to cope.

Grandparents can be really special, as you don't carry the baggage that can often making relationships with a parent challenging. My wife was pretty much raised by her grandparents, especially on her mom's side, and I grew very close in the years after we were married -- making 1984 through July 2003 some of the best years of my life! I had very little contact with my own grandparents as a kid (grew up 2,000 miles away), so basically adopted my wife's as my own -- and they adopted me, which was really wonderful! Her maternal grandparent's remains are now scattered at the base of twin noble firs at a particular overlook that is close to my heart on the north side of Mount Hood -- per their request to spend eternity on the mountain. It was a great honor to carry out their wishes, and now I get to chat with them every time I'm up there -- and I do! :-)
One day to do the entire loop???? What a waste of a good several days of backpacking (says someone who couldn't possibly do that - you guys are amazing)
:lol: :lol: :lol: Indeed, think of all the tasty dehydrated food you missed! And a pile of clothes that smell slightly worse than a well-cured roadkill! And repacking that grimy tent and ground cloth after it poured the first night on the trail! And realizing on Day 2 that you forgot to pack at extra socks! And the quality time digging cat holes behind discreet trees... only to find you weren't the first to discover that spot! Ah, the infinite joys of backpacking..! :lol:

Thanks for posting, Sean!

-Tom :)

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » September 26th, 2014, 7:04 pm

Just like everyone else has said, thank you for sharing your beautiful hike and tribute to your grandmother and friend. There is hardly a hike I go on without being thankful for both Kevin's dad and mine who shared their love of the outdoors with us.

Our prayer is that time heals your sorrow.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 26th, 2014, 11:30 pm

Sean,

Very well written account and tribute. Thank you for sharing this with us.

I can relate having lost both a younger sister and my mother in the last few months. I have thought of them often as I have hiked this summer.

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller