Summers' end.. Ramona Falls 9/22

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Summers' end.. Ramona Falls 9/22

Post by pdxgene » September 22nd, 2014, 3:38 pm

I figured I'd sneak in one last summer hike today on a deserted Ramona Falls Trail. I started about 9a and finally saw another group a bit after noon. Darn crowds.. :lol: The bridge being out is pretty much no longer relevant as it would probably be removed by now anyway. The fall colors are at least two to three weeks behind last year. The maples not out in the rocks haven't even started yet, last year they were almost done by the end of Sept.
Some time during the last six weeks when I was last there someone has vandalized the old Sandy Guard Station Cabin and broken out one of the windows. There were a lot of mouse droppings on the ledge (enough to turn me around fast and not shoot in thru the window) so maybe karma will have that person getting the hantavirus warned about on the door. :twisted:
I stopped and made sure they knew at the Zigzag RS on my way home. It sounds like they will fix this and are working on some type of solution for the roof. But it cannot be converted into a shelter or something for public use but ony as a historical building. Wilderness rules and all. That's still better than letting it collapse. Right now, before this weeks coming rains, you can really get right under the falls, much closer than normal, without getting wet at all.
Anyway, here's what it looked like...
The first bit of fall colors are just getting started..

But there are mushrooms busting out of the forest floor everywhere..

Pretty little Ramona Creek as it runs alongside the trail..

The self-timer 12 second dash. How far can I get and not fall while trying (this was the second attempt)..

Ramona Falls from just under the footbridge..

Busted out window and shutter at the Sandy Guard Station Cabin..

Yet she's still standing proud though somewhat tattered.. :(

You can get right under Ramona Falls right now without getting wet..

These fish are in a pool with a little waterfall on each end..

Maybe a 20' stretch where I'd guess they spend their lives. They're not jumping salmon so I guess they're stuck there..

A bigger crop on this one to see the pattern a bit better..

More of an endless string of mushrooms spouting almost everywhere..

Just wandering down the quiet trail..

Mt Hood in the clouds from down below the loop trail junction spot..

This guy didn't want to give up his spot on the trail no matter how close I got as long as I moved very slow..

Nice color pattern on him..

Just a really really nice peaceful day to end the summer of 2014..
Album here http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgene/RamonaFalls56

retired jerry

Re: Summers' end.. Ramona Falls 9/22

Post by retired jerry » September 22nd, 2014, 4:37 pm

Window wasn't busted out a couple months ago.

I think the shelter should just be left to decay. Too far gone. Who cares if it's just a locked up historic building? If it could be used it would be another story.

I think the Hantavirus warning is just a plot to try to get people not to vandalize it :D

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » September 22nd, 2014, 4:57 pm

I don't think letting it rot would work. The weakest point is the roof. They built things better back then. The stonework and lumber near the base are rock solid. There'd be people getting in and even more vandalism. I don't even think people busting out the door and windows would speed any of the collapse of the main building. They either have to fix it or probably tear it down.
I kinda agree with you on the hantavirus warninbg but some things are more worth guessing on and others probably aren't. This would fall into the aren't category for me. I'll let someone else find that one out.. :lol:

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » September 24th, 2014, 5:27 pm

That's terrible about all the windows. Nice mushroom pictures! It's amazing how many different varieties there are

Limey

Post by Limey » September 24th, 2014, 8:31 pm

Great time of year for Ramona. Those fall colors are incredible. Thank you for sharing.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » September 25th, 2014, 5:13 am

Limey wrote:Great time of year for Ramona. Those fall colors are incredible. Thank you for sharing.
They'll be even better in a couple more weeks. Over 90% of them had not even begun to change yet.