Mount Rainier Weekend Getaway

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pinchot

Mount Rainier Weekend Getaway

Post by pinchot » September 22nd, 2014, 1:16 pm

A week ago I finally got to experience my amazing birthday gift that I had received in August from my girlfriend Nicole: a weekend in a forested cabin right outside Mount Rainier National Park. We planned to do some relaxing in the cabin as well as some day hiking in the park. On Saturday morning we headed up to the Paradise Lodge to begin our hike on the Skyline Trail. We knew it'd be crowded with tourists and strollers, but it was a short drive from our cabin and packed in a lot of beautiful scenery in an easy day hike. It was nice to be only 30 minutes from our "home" so we could take our time on the trail.

View to start the hike

All these photos were taken by Nicole. The paved section at the beginning was pretty bleh, but once you got through it the trail was more of a natural surface.

Heading down from a viewpoint

Adams & St. Helens in the distance

Eventually you make it up to some views of glacier, we like hearing the ice crack and watching the water come off the ice.

The ice is alive

The little photographer

Going up

Met many a marmot on the trail

National Parks get the best trail signs

Close up on Adams

No toothbrush in the wild

View at the end of the loop

We went back to the park after dinner to catch some of the sunset from Reflection Lakes and a roadside viewpoint above Narada Falls.

Reflection Lakes

Nicole kept going back and forth between photographing Mount Rainier and photographing the sunset down the valley.

Going

Going

Gone

The rest of the weekend was all relaxation in our amazing cabin at Stormking Spa and Cabins. We highly recommend the place, it's less than 5 minutes from the entrance to the park. Best birthday gift I've ever experienced!

The smell is amazing!

Skylight looking up to the trees

Our own private forest for the backyard

Deer visited each morning

payslee

Re: Mount Rainier Weekend Getaway

Post by payslee » September 22nd, 2014, 6:46 pm

Thanks for the lovely pictures and trip report. I think my blood pressure went down by about 10 points just reading it!

-payslee

also, now I really want a bedroom with a skylight :)

anne37

Post by anne37 » September 22nd, 2014, 7:45 pm

Hey, those cabins are great! I've bookmarked them for a future three-day weekend. Thanks for the tip!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 23rd, 2014, 5:18 am

anne37 wrote:Hey, those cabins are great! I've bookmarked them for a future three-day weekend. Thanks for the tip!
"Me too." Where's that..., oh..., here we go...
Like I told Dean, I'm inspired by all these Rainier reports to get up there myself - thanks!

:)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...