Opal Creek past Franklin Grove and then up Stony Creek 9/18

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Re: Opal Creek past Franklin Grove and then up Stony Creek 9

Post by pdxgene » September 21st, 2014, 8:51 am

IslandCougGirl wrote:Every time I see those beautiful pools, the first thing that goes through my mind is how much I would love to swim in them. They're probably frigid but just so gorgeous!
They are swimmable. I'm not sure how cold it is. I've seen people jump into Opal Pool. This Grant's Getaways clip for Travel Oregon shows that at the beginning..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-D83ouw27o

RobinB

Post by RobinB » September 21st, 2014, 12:32 pm

Wow, the color of the water in your photos is just phenomenal. This is definitely going on my (exponentially expanding) shortlist.
IslandCougGirl wrote:Every time I see those beautiful pools, the first thing that goes through my mind is how much I would love to swim in them.
Same here.

mandrake

Post by mandrake » September 25th, 2014, 9:55 am

Nice work! I tried to get out to Franklin Grove earlier this spring. After crossing Beachie Creek I found a faint trail marked with tape leading most of the way there. Taping was of the minimalist variety and it was easy to lose the trail. At one point I just struck off crosscountry and picked it up later on. Trail led to what I assume was Franklin Grove and ended atop a monster old growth tree spanning Opal Creek which seemed to be the end of the route. Tree is big enough to walk right across the top of it; good lunch spot. Some very nice old growth out there, but I agree the trees at Cedar Flats are more visually impressive. I'll have to go look up where Stony Creek is at.