9/1-9/11 Tanzania, Safari, Mt Kilimanjaro

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
TheOtherBob

9/1-9/11 Tanzania, Safari, Mt Kilimanjaro

Post by TheOtherBob » September 17th, 2014, 7:17 pm

01.jpg
Spoiler: this story has a happy ending
This is going be my longest post to date.

Well, the cat's out of the bag. Now you know why I was grabbing all that elevation.

One of my siblings wanted to celebrate a milestone in her life by climbing Mt Kilimanjaro, so after MUCH (read: zero) persuasion, my father and I agreed to go with her. The full plan consisted of two days of safari followed by six days for the Machame route up/down the mountain.

First things first. Tanzanians don't say tan-zainy-uh. They also don't say tan-zuh-nee-uh. They say tænzəˈniːə/... a lot like taen-zUN-yuh.

Anyways, immunizations were acquired, gear was packed and repacked, food anxiety was soothed with several gallon bags of snacks. After sitting on planes for 20 h to fly around the planet, we arrived at Kilimanjaro airport with plump ankles and were greeted by people who were, they assured us, QUITE anxious to make sure our baggage was treated properly--which is always inconveniently related to tipping everyone in sight. Thus began our road to enlightenment: "Hapana, asante." No, thank you. Will you thank me later? Ndio. Yes.

On the first day of safari, we went to Lake Manyara.
02.jpg
Lake Manyara from a distance
On the second day, we went to Ngorongoro Crater, an enormous crater, over 10 mi in diameter. The majority of the safari activity is centered in the SW corner, around Lake Magadi
03.jpg
Ngorongoro crater
We traveled through the Arusha province to reach these two destinations and saw large portions of Tanzania outside of the major populated areas. One common element in the lesser populated areas are the Maasai.
04.jpg
It turns out that the government allows them in many of the various parks because they provide all of their own food, unlike the bushmen, who would eat all the animals.

There is no direct sunlight or previews of the mountain in any of these shots, because we were under clouds until our fourth day.
05.jpg
Stars aligned, we arrived
06.jpg
Getting in the mood for some African scenery
07.jpg
his
08.jpg
hers
09.jpg
theirs
10.jpg
????
11.jpg
Mischief crouching
12.jpg
Mischief loping
13.jpg
fire-haired warthog, kneeling down to eat
14.jpg
Did you see that warthog? That's crazy.

TheOtherBob

Re: 9/1-9/11 Tanzania, Safari, Mt Kilimanjaro

Post by TheOtherBob » September 17th, 2014, 7:22 pm

15.jpg
Water buffalo before gobblefest
16.jpg
Water buffalo after gobblefest
17.jpg
The smoldering look of the strong silent type
18.jpg
A cursory inspection
19.jpg
followed by a return to her cub
20.jpg
Don't worry, it's not just your housecat that can't be bothered
21.jpg
Lions can't be bothered either
22.jpg
Nor can hippos, apparently
23.jpg
photobombing a photogenic zebra
24.jpg
The pondering...
25.jpg
The intensity...
26.jpg
heh, heh, heh
27.jpg
The amazement...
28.jpg
Need to avoid thorns? Grow a spine!

TheOtherBob

Post by TheOtherBob » September 17th, 2014, 7:28 pm

29.jpg
A prompt for an interesting story
30.jpg
The one that surprised us in the mist
31.jpg
The road to discovery

On day three, we departed up the mountain from Machame Gate.
32.jpg
The path and elevation profile are shown below. The entire trip was around 35 mi, 17,000' EG.
33.jpg
Day 1: Machame Gate to Machame Camp at 10,000'
We were seen off by scavengers in formal attire.
34.jpg
They are worth mentioning because they were present everywhere on the mountain, and they are very distinct/humorous. Imagine silence punctuated by a sharp sound a lot like what it would sound like if you snuck up on someone's short, slightly overweight, breathy, great aunt and scared her... "hAhh!" ... followed by silence... from random directions, all the time. It went from raw humor, to a running joke, to a comedic institution that came home with us. hAhh!

The trail starts off in the forest, which was heavy on atmospherics for us.
35.jpg
Each porter can handle 16 kg plus their own pack.
36.jpg
Day 2: Machame Camp to Shira Camp at 12,000'
The weather was cloudy/misty again. This was our shortest trekking day, and we arrived early, before the daily construction frenzy was in full swing.
38.jpg
Before
39.jpg
Later
The clouds finally cleared during the wee hours of the morning. Here's a hasty 40 s exposure from a rock, at 0130, under a full moon.
40.jpg
Day 3: Shira Camp to Barranco Camp at 13,000', via Lava Tower(15,000')
We woke to our friends,
41.jpg
cold,
42.jpg
and an auspicious sky.
43.jpg
44.jpg

TheOtherBob

Post by TheOtherBob » September 17th, 2014, 7:33 pm

45.jpg
Conditions wavered as we climbed,
46.jpg
but eventually, we punched back through the clouds as we neared Lava Tower to get our acclimatization for the day.
47.jpg
48.jpg
We then continued on around the back side of the Tower,
49.jpg
back down into the clouds,
50.jpg
to Barranco Camp, where conditions cleared up during the final portion of the day.
51.jpg
Day 4: Barranco Camp to Barafu Camp at 15,000', via Barranco Wall and Karanga Camp

Once again, we woke to clear skies and our friends.
52.jpg
Right out of the gate, we had to climb up Barranco Wall. This is jokingly called "Breakfast Wall" by the guides because some people "leave their breakfast" at the base. If you can handle Eagle Creek and some moderate scrambling, this is not a concern for you.
53.jpg
See the tiny people on the wall?
From the top of the wall, we could see Mt Meru poking through the clouds to the SW.
54.jpg
We did a lot of traversing around the mountain on this day.
55.jpg
56.jpg
The terrain was very "moonscapy" by the time we reached the final push up to Barafu...
57.jpg
... which had toilets with good views.
58.jpg

TheOtherBob

Post by TheOtherBob » September 17th, 2014, 7:39 pm

After ascending to the ridge on which Barafu is situated, we received our first good look at Mawenzi, the eastern volcanic cone of Kilimanjaro.
59.jpg
Mawenzi I
60.jpg
Mawenzi II
Back to the west, Kibo, the largest cone that people usually associate with Kilimanjaro, loomed over the sunset.
61.jpg
We had dinner and then headed to bed for a few hours before summit morning.

Day 5: Summit day
We rose at 11 p.m., had tea and cookies, and left for the summit at midnight under an outrageously bright full moon. No flying friends were waiting for us this time.
In the quiet dark, and in the absence of many other stimuli, the cold was especially poignant. During the moments when the wind was biting at my gloved hands and balaclava'd face, I thought only of how pleasant the next lull would be, and in the moments when the wind wasn't blowing, I felt myself dreading the next gust. Somewhere around 17,500' it started getting to me and I could see the negative emotions beginning to circle and cloud my mind's eye. I cast my attention up to Uhuru Peak. Uhuru in Swahili means "Freedom." ... Freedom? Freedom from what?
Chains. Big, cold links of chain.
Sometimes, prime introspection strikes when least expected.
I entered the cathedral of my mind and began lighting torches. Chains everywhere--mostly quiet, but some clinking as they heaved to and fro off into the shadows, attached to all manner of unworthy things. I saw an approaching opportunity and forgot the cold while spending the next 2,000' exploring just what lay in all those shadows.
When we reached Stella point, our guides sat our cold selves down and gave us a cup of ginger tea--I'll never have a better cup of tea. The full moon sat beautifully just above the peak as we rounded the final portion of the crater rim.
We reached Uhuru Peak well before sunrise. I savored the moment by consciously thrusting an entire constellation of the unwanted into the cold rock at the base of the sign--a fitting tomb. Then, I knowingly stood on it during our celebratory pictures (see image 01). It was a memorable sunrise.
62.jpg
The sky was clear, the air was cold, and a few fingers went numb during the ensuing photobombing, but the sun came up to fix that as we descended back to Stella point (the peak is in the center left of the image).
63.jpg
It is advisable to get to Uhuru Peak early to avoid the crowds.
64.jpg
Here is Mawenzi (see images 59/60) from above, just before we started our descent.
65.jpg
After descending back to 15,000' and resting for an hour, we made for 10,000', back in the clouds.
66.jpg
When people have severe troubles and don't get a helicopter, this is how they are brought off the mountain.
67.jpg
Parting shot from the forest...
68.jpg
In which we encountered one of few species endemic to Kilimanjaro.
69.jpg
Day 6: Descend another 4,000' and shuttle out.
We descended the remaining 4,000' through the forest
70.jpg
and then congratulated ourselves on having made it back to civilization.
71.jpg
On the way back into town, we came across this comical spectacle. Even our guide agreed that this was strange enough to warrant a laugh.
72.jpg
The hotel beds were the same, but they felt infinitely more comfortable after sleeping in tents for so long.

We didn't fly out until the evening on our final day, so we walked around Moshi with a guide for several hours.
73.jpg

TheOtherBob

Post by TheOtherBob » September 17th, 2014, 7:41 pm

74.jpg
mmm
In my various readings, I've come across several reports by various UN groups, think tanks, and business entities that discuss the economic dynamics in developing countries and highlight the fact that the women are often noticeably more involved in local economic activities than the men. This is not the place for a lengthy discussion of that issue or of my related observations from this trip, but the occupants of the street market cells were almost universally women, and all around the countryside, there were many men just standing around, or sitting on motorcycles on the sides of the road.
75.jpg
This young boy was overflowing with smiles and a deep urgency to have his picture taken.
76.jpg
Final sunset on the way to the airport.
77.jpg
The flight back was long, but without incident... until we hit US Customs (complete disaster).

If you have a chance... go, see, experience, meet people from all over the planet. You'll have a great time.

Happy Hiking!
Bob

hiker4fun

Post by hiker4fun » September 17th, 2014, 9:33 pm

Nice report and pictures. Thanks for sharing. How long were you able to stay in the summit area? I heard from a friend whose friend did this summit, but wasn't allowed to stay for more than 5 minutes. Not sure if it was due to weather or health, but wondered if there is any sort of restriction.

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » September 18th, 2014, 3:15 am

What an amazing report! Love the frosty sunrise pictures from the mountain.

Trip of a lifetime!

mcds

Post by mcds » September 18th, 2014, 8:41 am

enjoyed the write up

Peder

Post by Peder » September 18th, 2014, 9:02 am

It is advisable to get to Uhuru Peak early to avoid the crowds.
Amazing crowd! :shock:

What a cool TR and what lovely pictures. I am a little surprised that you can acclimatize to 5,900 meters in so few days. Were the days above 3,000 m (10,000') on Kilimanjaro an issue? "Conditioning" hikes around Portland barely help your acclimatization, as everything here is at low altitudes.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…