Twin Lakes To Palmateer Point 9-13-2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
forestkeeper

Twin Lakes To Palmateer Point 9-13-2014

Post by forestkeeper » September 15th, 2014, 11:29 pm

This weekend I wanted to continue with hiking on Mt. Hood so in checking with the Field Guide and the customer service guys at the Zig Zag Ranger Station, I decided on the Twin Lakes hike from the Frog Lake Sno Park. I arrived at Frog Lake at 8:45 am and quickly threw my Tamrac pack on and hung my Sony a580 over my shoulders and hit the PCT. The PCT is wide and smooth from multiple foot and hoof traffic.
Pacific Crest Trail-1.jpg
After hiking a mile and a half, I arrived at the junction of the PCT and Twin Lakes Trail #495.
Twin Lakes Trail sign-1.jpg
The Twin Lakes trail looks just as nice as the PCT.
Twin Lakes Trail-1.jpg
Just prior of arriving at the Lower Twin Lake, I saw a rocky area off on a side slope with these beautiful vine maples. Look how the beautiful reds and oranges look against the grey rock piles.
Vine Maples-1-1.jpg
Vine Maples-1-3.jpg
Here's Lower Twin Lake. I little deeper than the Upper Twin Lake, the water appears more bluish and reflected the sky above nicely.
Lower Twin Lake 2-1-1.jpg
About 1/2 mile past Lower Twin Lake, you ascend a slight climb to Bird Butte Summit.
Bird Mt. Summit-1.jpg
And about another 1/2 mile past Bird Butte, you come to Upper Twin Lake.
Upper Twin Lake-1-4.jpg
Here's a Forestkeeper selfie.
Forestkeeper Selfie-1.jpg
After a few dozen pics of the lake, I headed to an area recommended by one of the Zig Zag rangers; Palmateer Point. So after about a mile I came across the sign to the Palmateer View Trail.
Palmateer View Trail-1.jpg
Palmateer View Trail 2-1.jpg
The trail was pretty narrow, underbrush cutting my calf and shins, but after about 1/2 a mile, a saw an older couple sitting on this rock outcropping that had about a 200 foot drop on three of its sides, eating lunch together. Out of privacy I didn't get a pic of the outcropping, but did get some nice pics of Hood.
Palmateer Point-1.jpg
I was planning on hooking up with the PCT just short of Barlow Pass for a nice loop, but opted to return the same way I hiked in for more views of the lakes on the way back. Plus, I learned from a few hikers that there is a loop trail around both lakes, which in addition to some nice shots, I would gain a few more miles underneath my Asolos boots. Here's a cool shot of the forest foliage near to the Upper Twin Lake beach. I really love the early Fall colors.
Upper Twin Lake-1-6.jpg
Upper Twin Lake driftwood.
Upper Twin Lake-1-2.jpg
Near to where I shot the beach driftwood, I ate lunch on a log nearby. After regaining some energy, I headed back down to the Lower Twin Lake and hiked around that as well. Here's a shot of some more driftwood.
Lower Twin Lake Driftwood-1-1.jpg
After taking a few more photos, I made it back to the Frog Lake Sno Park TH at about 2:30 pm. Hiked 9.29 miles with about 1700' EG. A very fun trail and now one of my favorites. Hope you like it.

Will
Last edited by forestkeeper on September 16th, 2014, 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

UTurn

Re: Twin Lakes To Palmateer Point 9-13-2014

Post by UTurn » September 16th, 2014, 4:54 am

Thanks for this report. This hike is a great one to put on my list as we head into Fall. Very nice in length and elevation!

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » September 16th, 2014, 7:09 am

We had this one on our backpack list earlier this summer and then had to bail on it. We will be sure to do it this fall now. Thanks for the TR!
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » September 28th, 2014, 7:49 am

I really love that hike. Thanks for posting it.
Woodswalker

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » September 28th, 2014, 6:35 pm

Great TR. This is a very nice hike to introduce youngsters to backpacking as well. :D
Now you need to go back in the winter and snowshoe in. Love going when the trees are still in a coat of winter snow.
Thanks,
Mike J

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » September 28th, 2014, 6:59 pm

Nice selfie at the lake FK! :) Jojo and I did something similar up there a couple years ago and it made for a nice day.

tednottodd

Post by tednottodd » September 28th, 2014, 8:44 pm

Upper twin lakes was the first overnight backpack trip my wife and I did many years ago. This is a great "go to" destination for both beginning backpackers during the summer and a nice snowshoe trip in the winter.

Nice TR of a little gem on Hood.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » September 29th, 2014, 11:03 am

Nice report, Will! I haven't been in there in years during the summer (snowshoe there fairly regularly), but have fond memories from when my scout troop used to go there -- we camped at Lower Twin, usually approached from the Frog Lake trailhead (which was a bit of a grind for a bunch of goofy kids with crappy packs).

Palmateer was almost completely open as recently as the late 1980s, so pretty amazing to see how the forest has grow up there!

Thanks for posting!

Tom :)

Peder

Post by Peder » September 30th, 2014, 6:38 am

I have been planning to go there for eons... Maybe one day? Thank you for showing me what it looks like.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » September 30th, 2014, 9:31 am

Twin Lakes is also where our Scout Troop went for winter camping (with sometimes crappy packs and butane that wouldn't work in the cold). Kevin and I had our packs ready after reading this report to see it without snow and continue on up to Timberline, but a work accident prevented it. Maybe after Kevin gets his knee rehabed, we can do the trip before the snow gets too deep. Thanks for the report.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir