Triangulation Peak & Boca Cave via Cheat Creek Trail 9/13/14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
derwoodynck

Triangulation Peak & Boca Cave via Cheat Creek Trail 9/13/14

Post by derwoodynck » September 14th, 2014, 5:16 am

This was our first hike to Boca Cave. We decided to take the Cheat Creek Trail to make it a longer hike (I don't like my driving time to be as long or longer than my on trail time). The Cheat Creek trail was in decent shape for not getting much traffic, there were a few trees down but nothing difficult to go over/under and some brush encroaching on the trail in some places.

It is also a little steep at times but we'd been up Mt. St. Helens last weekend so it didn't seem so bad. A couple miles in is Wild Cheat Meadows which a nice change up. There were a few flowers holding out and some fall color starting to show on the edge of the meadows.

Meadows on the way back in the afternoon.

We turned left on the Triangulation Trail at the end of the Cheat Creek Trail. This section of the Triangulation Trail had some fairly overgrown and narrow spots as it curved along the ridge toward Triangulation Peak. As you come around the views improve and we got our first good look at Mt. Jefferson and Three Fingered Jack. We could also see Mt. Washington's spire and the top of the Middle & South Sisters. It was a bit hazy to the south, most likely from the Deception Complex fires near Oakridge.

There was also one spot where we got a nice view of our goal - Boca Cave.

The trail then switched from the south side of the ridge to the north side and some views of Mt. Hood

We didn't see any other hikers until we reached the Triangulation Peak Trail when we met a couple of guys coming down who'd spent the night. One was barefoot which made me think of Splintercat's recent trip report http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... =8&t=19994.

Despite the little bit of smoke we were pleased with the views up on top.

The trail down to the Cave was easy to spot. It was marked by a rock cairn and led past a couple of good tent spots before heading down fairly steeply toward the cave.
Our Son decided it was one of his favorite things we've visited on a hike.
The wife and kid entering Boca Cave

After thoroughly checking out the cave we headed back. On the way back down to the Triangulation Trail we passed two more groups of hikers heading up, but they had come up from the other end of the trail and once we were back on the Triangulation Trail we didn't see anyone else.

kelkev

Re: Triangulation Peak & Boca Cave via Cheat Creek Trail 9/1

Post by kelkev » September 14th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Triangulation Peak is one of my favorite short day hikes. And Boca Cave is really cool, literally - - on a hot day, the temps inside make it hard to come back out and head back up into the sun! I've never been up via Cheat Creek, but have been up to the Cheat Creek/Triangulation Trail junction - - I decided to turn around and explore the meadow instead. That's quite a steep pitch headed up to the Triangulation Trail, I remember my knee talking to me on the way back down.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

Zia

Re: Triangulation Peak & Boca Cave via Cheat Creek Trail 9/1

Post by Zia » September 14th, 2014, 2:21 pm

I just made a trip up there last weekend. Fun short day hike. Too hazy to get a good shot of Jefferson but had a blast.Great TR!