South Sister with Figgie Sept 12, 2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
BurnsideBob

South Sister with Figgie Sept 12, 2014

Post by BurnsideBob » September 13th, 2014, 9:45 pm

My oldest son Joseph recently summited South Sister, leaving my youngest son, Chris, and I the only family members not having climbed Oregon's third highest peak. So 3:01 AM Friday, Chris, Figgie, and I were on the road.

ImageIMG_9655 by Burnside Bob, on Flickr
Getting Ready at the Trailhead, 7:00 AM.

A lot of other people had the same idea and we found 25 cars in the Devil's Lake TH. We expected a busy trail, but actually encountered very few people on the way up. They must all be sleeping on the summit!!? As it turned out, nope.

When we reached the Moraine Lake trail intersection, we began to appreciate how smoky it was. We arrived at the Lewis Glacier, 9000 ft, about 9:15, which was about the top of the smoke layer.

ImageIMG_9657 by Burnside Bob, on Flickr
Lewis Glacier.

ImageIMG_9662 by Burnside Bob, on Flickr
Bachelor Butte and Broken Top

ImageIMG_9673 by Burnside Bob, on Flickr
Hanging on to my Hat on East Crater Rim

Well, my hiking secret is out. Take Figgie and she'll tow you! We climbed down to the little ledge east of the summit rocks for a snack break out of the wind.

ImageIMG_9675 by Burnside Bob, on Flickr
North Sister, Chambers Lakes, Carver Lake

ImageIMG_9676 by Burnside Bob, on Flickr
You Promised Snickers Bars and Starbucks Via Mocha Latte And You Give Me Kibble and Water??

ImageIMG_9682 by Burnside Bob, on Flickr
Oregon's Top Dog--For the Moment.

ImageIMG_9689 by Burnside Bob, on Flickr
Windy??

We did the round-the-crater loop and stopped at the largest bivy tent ring to see if it was effective at blocking the wind--it was. Teardrop Pool was still all snow.

ImageIMG_9694 by Burnside Bob, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9695 by Burnside Bob, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9699 by Burnside Bob, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9706 by Burnside Bob, on Flickr
Parting Shot: View From Lewis Glacier

We met 50 plus people coming up during our descent. Figgie had celebrity status with most everyone. After we relented and gave her Snickers and Via Mocha Latte she pulled on the lead all the way back down.

Back at the TH we found the lot completely full and another 15-20 cars parked on the road shoulder where the trail crosses Century Drive.
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.