Tuck & Robin Lakes and Mt. Daniel - Sept. 5-7, 2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jalepeno

Re: Tuck & Robin Lakes and Mt. Daniel - Sept. 5-7, 2014

Post by jalepeno » September 13th, 2014, 8:59 pm

Thanks for the excellent report and pix.
I love that area and was intrigued with Daniel when I hiked past on the PCT last summer.
Mt. Daniel.jpg

Boozeman

Post by Boozeman » September 13th, 2014, 10:25 pm

WOW. great TR and amazing pics. I absolutely LOVED the King of the Mountain "Perspective" shot. Really cool. :)

You really should have stopped and given that little starstruck goat an autograph, guys. He's probably telling all of his friends about how you guys used to be so cool , but your TR fame has made you forget about your fans. :D

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » September 15th, 2014, 1:16 pm

Beautiful pics, that's a wonderful area. The pair of lakes looking out to the south are Venus (higher) and Spade (lower). I camped at Circle Lake last Sept. and worked my way over to Venus but was too tired to drop down to Spade. Been up to the Robins several times. Camped at Jade Lake and got that great view from Dip Top Gap earlier this year, although Pea Soup Lake was mostly frozen still and Daniel was partially cloud obscured.

Funny someone mentioned the Tank Lakes, I was just there this weekend.

Is it my imagination or are there more TRs from places in Washington than normal this year? Oregon has some beautiful places of course, but there is just so much more mountainous terrain in Washington and a whole bunch of truly magical areas to visit.

R11

Post by R11 » September 15th, 2014, 1:23 pm

When I made my first post I had just seen your TR when I was getting ready to head out the door and was in kind of a hurry. I also wanted to say that it looks like you had great, clear weather for your whole trip and I'm quite jealous of the views you had on Daniel 8-) . I had planned on spending a couple nights at Peggy's on my way out from Jade, with a whole day to play on Daniel, but ended up only staying one. After the hot (by alpine elevation standards anyway) days I had earlier in the week the weather took a down turn and I woke up to strong gusty winds and clouds moving in. I made a quick run up the ridge in the morning but once I could see to the west it was a solid bank of dark grey clouds blowing in and I knew there wasn't going to be any clear views for pics that day :|. I decided to head back down and pack up my stuff and tromp on out while everything was still dry. Oh well, can't win them all. Glad you got some clear vistas at least, as it really is a prime vantage point.

ron

R11

Post by R11 » September 15th, 2014, 1:30 pm

olderthanIusedtobe wrote:Is it my imagination or are there more TRs from places in Washington than normal this year? Oregon has some beautiful places of course, but there is just so much more mountainous terrain in Washington and a whole bunch of truly magical areas to visit.
From reading the trip reports over the last couple seasons it's been kind of fun to see people get out and explore some of the territory to the north. It really is a treasure trove of alpine goodness...

ron

anne37

Post by anne37 » September 15th, 2014, 9:05 pm

Drove out to Daniel at 3am today and discovered that driving 5 hours and dayhiking a large difficult mountain and returning to the trailhead before dark is... ambitious. We made it to just below the first summit where you can see Spade Lake, but it was our turnaround time and we stuck to it. I think if we had camped at the trailhead we would've reached the glimpse of Pea Soup I've been trying to see for two years. :) Pictures soon, amazing Circle Lake was worth the arduous hike!

Water

Post by Water » September 16th, 2014, 10:17 am

nice TR, enjoyed that upper mt. daniel summits area, neat.

and let me say, what a fine, fine tent that was in the shot of your camp. :lol:
Feel Free to Feel Free

anne37

Post by anne37 » September 16th, 2014, 12:42 pm

Some pics, if I can hop on to the fellas' trip report. And to quote Bosterson, "For the love of god, Anne, drive to the TH the day before, camp at Peggy's Pond, climb at dawn!" Word to the wise. :lol: :lol: :lol:

mtnhiker56

Post by mtnhiker56 » September 16th, 2014, 6:51 pm

It was great 30 years ago...still looks great! Nice job!

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » September 20th, 2014, 10:07 am

Hope it's not a faux pas, but I'm going to link several trip reports for that and nearby areas in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness.

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=