How far do you want to travel for fall colors?

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Steve20050

How far do you want to travel for fall colors?

Post by Steve20050 » September 11th, 2014, 10:58 pm

Every year we all try to get out and get those brilliant fleeting colors of fall. We don't have the fantastic deciduous trees of the northeastern states. While a trip there certainly is a worthy effort, we do have some nice areas of color here in the northwest as well. It seems that every year some folks want to know about the Western Larch around here, as the trip up north to see the Alpine Larch is time consuming and can be problematic getting away. Rain and even snow can also be more common going farther north.

I did the trip in 2007 and was amazed at some of the scenery along the PCT east of the North Cascades National Park. This is old stuff and not certain where it should be posted, but each fall I think about that trip and encourage anyone going north to visit this area. It is part of the Okanogan National Forest and so far has been left out of wilderness protection and the national park. I expect it's security lies mainly in being part of the PCT. Adam recently did a trip report on the Maple Loop which is part of this area and he had some great photos of the area. The area I visited was north of Rainy Pass to Hart's Pass.

So for what it's worth; First stuff is Hart's Pass and day hike south. Unfortunately there was a forest fire at the pass back in 2003. The campground was a bit peculiar, but I had the place to myself. Early Oct and free.
Attachments
001 Hart's Pass Camping in burn.jpg
002 Hart's Pass around camp.jpg
003 Hart's Pass around camp.jpg
004 Hart's Pass_ PCT_ Slate Peak.jpg
005 Hart's Pass View south _ Silver Star and The Needles.jpg
006 Hart's Pass View south _ Silver Star, The Needles and Tower Mountain.jpg
007 Hart's Pass View south _ Tower Mountain and The Golden Horn.jpg
008 PCT South of Hart's Pass Mount Ballard.jpg
009 Tatie Peak_ South of Hart's Pass.jpg
Last edited by Steve20050 on September 11th, 2014, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve20050

Re: How far do you want to travel for fall colors?

Post by Steve20050 » September 11th, 2014, 11:06 pm

Second set is North from Hart's Pass to Windy Pass. More open roaming with distant views.
Attachments
010 .jpg
011 Slate Peak.jpg
012 SLATE Peak.jpg
013 View Northeast towards Pasayten Wilderness.jpg
014 East towards Pasaytan Wilderness.jpg
015 Buffalo Pass Area.jpg
016 Buffalo Pass Area.jpg
017 Below Windy Pass.jpg
018 Windy Pass.jpg

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » September 11th, 2014, 11:21 pm

This third set was my attempt to drive south around to Rainy Pass the last couple days and hike north up to the Golden Horn area. Much of the area is Feldspar and adds a gold tone to the mountains. A different look for our Cascades. Unfortunately I got snowed on and had to make the most of the photos I could get, as anyone knows you work with what you have.
Attachments
023 Cutthroat Pass _ Cutthroat Lake.jpg
025 PCT  Morning _ View above Granite Pass.jpg
026 View East_ Silver Star lurking in background.jpg
027 Art.jpg
028 Above granite Pass_ PCT headed around  Tower Mountain.jpg
029 Golden Horn Clouds.jpg
030 The Needles with needles.jpg
031.jpg
032 Snowline View East Winters Creek.jpg
033 Snowline View East.jpg
034 New Species Alpine Larch-Fir.jpg
035 View above Granite Pass.jpg
036 View above Granite Pass.jpg
037 ART .jpg
038 View East.jpg

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » September 11th, 2014, 11:36 pm

A bit long winded for an old report. I haven't done one of these before. So how far have I gone for a fall photo? Probably one worth remembering would be Parque Nacional Volcan Lanin in Argentina. Here's an old capture. Where am I hopefully going? I am hopefully doing a repeat visit of Mount St. Helens backcountry, without the snow. Here is a sample from last year. I do have to say it was so clear that I think I saw Romann summiting. I marked it with a green arrow :lol:
Attachments
099 Volcan Lanín Araucaria and Lenga.jpg
Mount St Helens Backcountry.jpg