Mt. Hood: Eliot crossing, 2014 update (glacier AND ropes)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
adamschneider

Mt. Hood: Eliot crossing, 2014 update (glacier AND ropes)

Post by adamschneider » September 6th, 2014, 11:17 pm

2017 NOTE: There's now an official trail below Cloud Cap. An update has been posted.

A couple years ago, I went up to Eliot Glacier on Mt. Hood to scout out a possible "high route" across the valley, because I'd been hearing about a lot of people having serious problems with the washed-out Eliot Creek crossing down below. To recap: It was August, and there'd been a lot of snow that year, so I was able to cross way up on the snowy part of the glacier. This of course generated a lot of debate about the wisdom of EVER traveling on a glacier, and some alternate routes were proposed, and I put some of them on a map.

Fast-forward to 9/5/14... Cloud Cap Road is finally open again, and it was a clear sunny day, so I went back up there. I wanted to try the alternate glacier routes for myself and to take a look at the rope-assisted washout crossing. I hadn't been planning to actually DO the creek crossing, but of course I ended up doing it anyway, because, you know, it was there. And so I've updated my map:

Here's a touched-up photo taken from the moraine on the Cooper Spur side showing the glacier routes that are on the map, in the same colors:

Note that the red route would be pretty insane to do at this time of year! I went northwest on the green line, and returned southeast on the orange one. (I also explored a possibility that I'd marked before in Google Earth, in between the orange and the red lines, but it got pretty sketchy and cliffy and icy; it is possible, which I know because I saw three guys do it while I was there on Friday, but you gotta be really comfortable with glaciers.) No matter which path you take, the key to this crossing is to get way up high (about 7300') on the west side, so that you can connect with the top of the moraine and avoid its loose, sketchy slopes.

The green route starts out by basically going straight across the rock-covered glacier toward the far side. Your eventual target is that vaguely horizontal snowfield that looks like a pelvis — SF1 on my photo. (The orange route also ends up on SF1, but does more of a bee-line and crosses some funkier glacial terrain.) The easiest place to cross SF1 is the narrowest bit in the middle; crossing there will put you right into a little gully — rock in late summer or autumn, snow otherwise — that leads up to the second snowfield.

(This photo was taken from the upper-right edge of SF1, which doesn't work well as a route because there's a significant randkluft at the top of it, and then some small cliffs.)

The second snowfield (SF2) blends with the crevasses of Eliot Glacier on the left (south) side, but the right edge is really just a run-of-the-mill snowfield, and it'll take you where you need to go:

Just stay to the right, and exit onto the big rocks when you see a traverse route that you're comfortable with. It'll look something like this... yeah, it's a jumbled mess, but most of them don't move when you walk on them:

Voilà, you're on the west moraine!

From here, you can follow the ridge all the way back down to the Timberline Trail. Or you can turn left, traverse above Langille Crags, and go cross-country down toward Compass Creek. Or you can do what I did, which is go back more or less the way I came! On both the outbound and the return trip, I saw lots of cool glacial stuff — which maybe I'll post in a more complete TR later — but for now I want to talk about the lower "washout" crossing...

Back up on the east moraine (Cooper Spur side), I walked down the crest to the place where the Timberline Trail now ends (although the "TRAIL IS GONE" sign is unceremoniously lying on the ground a few feet away from the trail). I could see the long rope on the far side, and I saw the little trail leading up to it:

...and so I was looking around and wondering exactly how this crossing was being done these days. Of course, curiosity got the best of me and I headed down the moraine. About 200 yards down, I found the east rope, which is only about 20 feet long, sits on a not-very-steep slope, and doesn't really accomplish much. At the bottom of that rope, you're standing right next to Eliot Creek. But you don't want to cross there... not only is the water too wide and too violent, but there's a steep eroded bank on the far side, which you probably shouldn't try to climb up or down.

(This photo was taken from the top of the east rope.)

The obvious solution is to travel upstream far enough to be able to get on top of that shelf above the steep bank. So I followed the obvious footprints (and cairns) upstream:

And after about 300 yards of easy rock-rambling up the outwash plain, I finally found a place where I felt like I could cross without too much trouble. Most of the creek was pouring powerfully through a gap between two rocks, but the gap was small (3 feet?), and I hopped it with no trouble at all. There may be other doable crossings further upstream, but footprints and cairns told me this was the most popular. (Of course, glacial streams change every day, so don't count on using this exact spot in the future.)

From there, I crossed a couple of tiny rivulets and then headed back downstream toward the rope, now safely above the scary eroded bank. The path on the west side wasn't as well defined and there weren't as many cairns, but it wasn't difficult to navigate.

The little path leading up to the west rope started out fine, but it got pretty sketchy when it turned uphill. Then the "trail" along the rope itself is pretty bad, as expected, but frankly not THAT much worse than the bit above or below the rope! At any rate, it's a good thing the rope is there.

As I mentioned, the path above the rope was pretty loose and slippery, and I was regretting having left my trekking poles at the bottom. But 50 yards later, I was at the top, back on terra firma, on the northwest moraine.

And then I did the whole thing in reverse. For the return trip, I followed a slightly different route along both banks, but it didn't matter much because I ended up at the same crossing point. Thanks to the afternoon light, it was far more picturesque looking downhill than up: :)

Here's an overview of the west side path, as seen from high up on the east moraine (the crossing is out of view to the left). The west rope is in red:

And here's an overview of the paths I followed on either side of the water crossing, as seen from the top of the west moraine. My crossing point is in red, and the small east rope is out of view to the left:

So, what did I learn on Friday?

1) The glacier crossing is still very doable, and quite safe if you traverse the lower rock-covered parts of the glacier, ascend the snowfields, then connect with the west moraine at its rocky top end.

2) The washout crossing isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I think it's gotten easier now that there's a semi-established route, although the west slope is still on the sketchy side. The stream crossing itself might make some people nervous, but it's no worse than Newton Creek or Coe Creek.

3) Either option will work if you need to get across Eliot. The glacier route is a little longer but doesn't involve any loose scree slopes; it does, however, involve a lot of climbing around on big chunky rocks. Do you prefer scree or talus?

4) No matter what, bring trekking poles!

P.S. — If you want GPS data from these explorations, you can download tracks & waypoints from the page containing the map.
Last edited by adamschneider on July 28th, 2019, 6:43 pm, edited 8 times in total.

retired jerry

Re: Eliot crossing, 2014 update (glacier AND ropes)

Post by retired jerry » September 7th, 2014, 5:50 am

I linked the field guide to this, thanks.

I might be doing this in the near future, this will be helpful, thanks..

When I did this two years ago I did middle of SF1. That's probably what I'll do.

I did the highest route (red) and that seemed unwise. Just asking to fall into crevass

joerunner

Post by joerunner » September 7th, 2014, 5:51 am

Great information. I've done that crossing a half a dozen times and depending on the day I have found the water crossing to be as challenging if not more challenging then the scramble. I guess I'm not very skilled with using my trekking poles because when I get to that hand assisted hill climbs I like to have my hands free so that I can get a grasp on handholds such as the rope or rocks.

Guy

Post by Guy » September 7th, 2014, 5:56 am

Great Map Adam,

I've done variations of all of your upper routes but the times when I've just been wanting to get across quickly to go somewhere else I've taken your green route but just kept going straight instead of turning left & going straight up the side of the moraine. It's easier than it looks.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 7th, 2014, 6:04 am

It seems like it would be just as easy to make a trail on the West side, as that trail on the East side.

As it is, it's 3 steps sliding down for each 4 steps up.

The Forest Service lady told me they were considering making a lower route. Must be listening to Tom.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 7th, 2014, 7:53 am

Excellent documentation! Thank you for taking the time and effort to do this.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 7th, 2014, 8:15 am

Guy wrote:when I've just been wanting to get across quickly to go somewhere else I've taken your green route but just kept going straight instead of turning left & going straight up the side of the moraine. It's easier than it looks.
I hope so, because it sure as hell doesn't look easy. :shock:

As I was coming down the east moraine, I chatted with a backpacker heading the same direction as me who was planning to go straight up the side; I guess he made it, because I didn't see any huge dust clouds followed by medevac helicopters. :) It's rocky unconsolidated scree and sand sitting at about 30° (50%-60% slope). Don't do it with anyone below you, and be prepared for anything you step on to potentially move!

The magenta dots on the following map show where I saw that guy (not Guy) go up; I know exactly where he went because he headed toward a shrub, about 1/3 the way up the scree slope, that's visible in the aerial photos.

Don Nelsen wrote:Excellent documentation! Thank you for taking the time and effort to do this.
PortlandHikers.org: We risk our butts so you don't have to. :D
Last edited by adamschneider on September 7th, 2014, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peder

Post by Peder » September 7th, 2014, 8:38 am

Adam - That is a great and very comprehensive map, especially when you go to the interactive version! I have one comment about the "red" upper route: I would only go there once all the snow is melted off, so that there is only rubble and glacier ice. Under these conditions you can see the crevasses and avoid them; when the area is snow covered you risk stepping through a snow bridge and ending up in a crevasse. :(

In Europe it is a big no-no to travel on a snow covered glacier without being roped up; a little less so around here, probably because many of the local "glaciers" have few or no crevasses. For example, a rope is not needed on the south side of Mt Hood, as the Zigzag Glacier has no crevasses, and the same applies to the Langille Glacier on the north side just behind the Langille Crags. I would not follow the "red" route when the glacier is snow covered without being roped up.

PS: I have gone straight up the side moraine a few time too, it is quite simple: just be sure to choose an "easy" spot and be sure not to move above other team members, as you may set some rocks rolling. We are now in the "grey" area between hiking and mountaineering! Well, actually, glacier travel is most definitely mountaineering but the Eliot crossing in general is in the grey area.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

kepPNW

Re: Mt. Hood: Eliot crossing, 2014 update (glacier AND ropes

Post by kepPNW » September 7th, 2014, 9:46 am

This is most excellent documentation! Thank you so much for laying it all out so clearly. "Bookmarked!" :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Zia

Re: Mt. Hood: Eliot crossing, 2014 update (glacier AND ropes

Post by Zia » September 7th, 2014, 1:48 pm

I have yet to hike this side of Mt Hood, but this is going to be an awesome resource for when I do. Thank you! :)