Owyhigh Lakes (Mount Rainier)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
weathercrazy

Owyhigh Lakes (Mount Rainier)

Post by weathercrazy » September 1st, 2014, 1:25 pm

August 26th, 2014

All pics from my trip:

http://weathercrazy.smugmug.com/Landsca ... er-Part-II

Opening pic:

This trail does NOT offer views of Rainier, but it's a great way to get away from the crowds around Sunrise and Paradise.

I was very disappointed to find most of the wildflowers gone. However, the hike up through the forest on a very wide open trail was relaxing.

Not too much to talk about, the trail is in great shape. It becomes thinner near the lakes.

These are among the nicest secluded mountain lakes that I know about, yet so close to the road.

At the turn around point for me, the saddle near Kotsuck Creek, there looks to be marsh land that used to be old lake beds...a fate of most lakes eventually as they fill with dirt.

It wasn't the best lightning as it was nearing midday and the sun was beaming down. Still, it was a great hike through theImage forest.

I met a friend:

Short and sweet, a few hours on the trail, then onto Crystal Mountain, then back to Sunrise.

I took this shot looking back toward the lake basin, it shows Governors Ridge as well

Here's the other side of Governor's Ridge, looking west here from Tipsoo Lake

Tipsoo Lake the next morning:

Can you see the deer here at Reflection Lakes?

Closer:

Saw this, what appeared to be a cub, near Paradise picnic! My 7th bear siting in the park.

A few flowers left, but fading fast. I can't wait to be back up there next week!

adamschneider

Re: Owyhigh Lakes (Mount Rainier)

Post by adamschneider » September 1st, 2014, 3:12 pm

Is that a porcupine?! I didn't know we had those in these parts...

zombie

Post by zombie » September 1st, 2014, 4:19 pm

That morning shot of Tipsoo...just WOW. Thanks for sharing!

-Aaron

drm

Post by drm » September 2nd, 2014, 6:52 am

So it sounds like you went in from the top - from the Sunrise Road? You can also go in from the bottom. There is a backcountry camp a ways above those lakes, and it is a good area to get away from the Wonderland looping frenzy.

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » September 2nd, 2014, 4:37 pm

Yes, I jaunted in from the road to Sunrise.

I stopped by Tamanos camp, beautiful area and great forest views.
drm wrote:So it sounds like you went in from the top - from the Sunrise Road? You can also go in from the bottom. There is a backcountry camp a ways above those lakes, and it is a good area to get away from the Wonderland looping frenzy.

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » September 2nd, 2014, 4:38 pm

Yeah, caught me by surprise too! I had to yell at it from a distance to get it to move off of the trail!
adamschneider wrote:Is that a porcupine?! I didn't know we had those in these parts...

Boozeman

Post by Boozeman » September 2nd, 2014, 7:08 pm

Awesome pics!!! I'm a little bit surprised by the porcupine sighting too. That's one of the great things about hiking around the Pacific NW, you never know what you might see. ;)

Also loved the Tipsoo Lake pic. Really beautiful place. That's another stop I'm going to have to plan on when I eventually get out that way. :D