Red Mountain via Indian Racetrack via PCT - 8/24/2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
zoogelsnof

Red Mountain via Indian Racetrack via PCT - 8/24/2014

Post by zoogelsnof » August 24th, 2014, 1:12 pm

Forgive any errors, my first time posting one of these.

I've been hiking in the Portland area since about June, trying different hikes from this site most weekends. This one was by far my favorite hike I've taken since moving here, so I wanted to crow about it a little bit.

For a total weekend warrior, this hike had everything I wanted. The tread is insanely well maintained, on the entire trip there was only one log fallen across the path. It is worth noting, despite there being literally a single obstacle on the entire thing, I definitely managed to trip over it and face plant in the dirt. This is why I hike alone.

Anyways! It's a slow, steady, constant uphill on the way in. Nice forests, long, but in an endurance sort of way instead of a lung killing way. Close to Portland. And the view from the top of Red Mountain is simply incredible. I don't know the names of them, but I could see 3 giant mountains (volcanoes?) from the ranger station.

I've attached my GPX for anybody who wants to follow my path (which only involves me getting lost once!)
Attachments
214026.jpg
indian racetrack tracks.gpx
(419.58 KiB) Downloaded 260 times

Waffle Stomper

Re: Red Mountain via Indian Racetrack via PCT - 8/24/2014

Post by Waffle Stomper » August 24th, 2014, 3:01 pm

Welcome. I'm looking forward to reading more trip reports from you.
Here is another trip report from the WTA that identified four mountains you can see from there; Hood, Adams, St. Helens and Mt. Rainier. You got my curiosity peaked may have to try that trail one day.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

UTurn

Post by UTurn » August 24th, 2014, 6:52 pm

zoogelsnof wrote:
The tread is insanely well maintained, on the entire trip there was only one log fallen across the path. It is worth noting, despite there being literally a single obstacle on the entire thing, I definitely managed to trip over it and face plant in the dirt. This is why I hike alone.
This made my day! I thought I was the only one who trips over the one obstacle on a trail! We should hike together. :lol:

Thanks for sharing!

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » August 25th, 2014, 10:15 am

zoogelsnof wrote:It is worth noting, despite there being literally a single obstacle on the entire thing, I definitely managed to trip over it and face plant in the dirt. This is why I hike alone.
:D :D I hike with my son so he can laugh at me. Let's see...on Saturday I started our hike by going 1/4 mile down the wrong trail (hey there were 2 trail heads at the parking lot), almost face planted on a little log in the middle of the trail (didn't live that one down for the rest of the day), and sprayed water all over me when the tubing on the water filter came undone (not once but twice).

Welcome to the forum! How were the mosquitoes there?
Thanks,
Mike J

zoogelsnof

Post by zoogelsnof » August 28th, 2014, 4:48 pm

Thanks for your kind welcome Waffle Stomper (hehe, I just said that out loud and enjoyed it.) I appreciate you naming off the mountains for me! So far I've lived here long enough to know which one is Mount Hood, and I'm assuming Mount Helen is the squat one with no top, but I'll stil lneed to figure out how to tell Adam and Rainier apart.

zoogelsnof

Post by zoogelsnof » August 28th, 2014, 4:50 pm

mjuliana and UTurn - Nice to meet you two as well! I actually feel better knowing I'm not the only terminally clumsy person ;)

Mosquito situation was totally chill. I didn't even use any repellent, and only woke up the next day with maybe 5 - 10 total bites. I didn't even notice any of them when they were happening.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 28th, 2014, 5:28 pm

zoogelsnof wrote:I'll stil lneed to figure out how to tell Adam and Rainier apart.
They're tough, especially in photos. Best clue is always position with them. After being here awhile, you can visualize where each of the major volcanoes ought to be in relation to the others.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...