Timberline Trail 8/18 - 8/20

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
artic

Timberline Trail 8/18 - 8/20

Post by artic » August 21st, 2014, 10:02 am

1st trip report so learning as I go along- especially adding a pic.

Arrived at Timberline Lodge at 0800 on Monday 8/18 to begin a clockwise trip around Mt Hood.
Got to the Sandy crossing around noon with knee deep water and not too bad of current. The trail heading on after crossing the Sandy was concealed in the brush but there were some cairns leading in the general direction.

Got across the Muddy branches with not much issue, some brush obscures the trail.

Camped the 1st night at a campsite below McNeil point.

2nd day many stream crossing. I was concerned about the Elliot crossing but turned out the climb down was steep but not too bad if you take your time and there was a rope for part of the descent. The climb out and up also had a rope but was a fairly easy climb back up to the rim. Biggest issue was having to wade across the stream in ICE cold water up to my knees- not a pleasant experience. Finished the day by continuing past the Cooper Spur side trail and camping out just below the high point of the trail around 7300 feet. Was very windy until sunset and after that it was totally calm. Just prior to sunrise the glacier let go twice about 15 minutes apart, very loud- wish I could have seen it.

3rd day headed out at 0700 8/20 and arrived back at Timberline around 2 PM- tired and hungry. I was able to cross the White river without getting my feet wet, so that was a nice way to end my last water crossing.

IMGP6370.JPG

woodswalker

Re: Timberline Trail 8/18 - 8/20

Post by woodswalker » August 23rd, 2014, 6:47 am

Congratulations on an epic adventure!
Woodswalker

Splintercat

Re: Timberline Trail 8/18 - 8/20

Post by Splintercat » August 23rd, 2014, 6:19 pm

Nice first report, artic! Welcome to the forum! :)

Glad the Eliot went okay for you! I was up there last weekend and took some photos of the crossing, so hope you don't mind me posting them here. I was mostly motivated by a group with several young girls that missed the turnoff for the lower crossing (with the ropes) and ended up crossing the glacier via the climbers trail. IMO, they were better off doing that option with a group of 8-10 people, simply because of the risk of loose rocks hitting someone on the lower route.

But officially, the route is still closed -- so posting this as fair warning for anyone reading your report. Made this very large, hopefully it will load properly once posted so that folks can get a pretty good visual for what the lower crossing entails -- and I might add that the Eliot is a roaring torrent in the PM on warm days, so probably unsafe for anyone to ford:

...and we're ALL looking forward to the day when a new crossing is built and this won't be such an obstacle for hikers...! :shock:

Thanks for the report!

Tom :)