Peder's favorite Mt Whittier 8/20

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
hikerbot

Re: Peder's favorite Mt Whittier 8/20

Post by hikerbot » August 21st, 2014, 4:14 pm

mjuliana wrote:Is the recommended way to do Whittier from the south as you did or from the north? I think it would be easier to be going up during the sketchier parts...
I just hiked Whittier from north to south this weekend. The hike up to the ridge from the Lakes Trail junction is pretty steep and narrow in sections. Easier to go up than down. Most of the traverse would be equally difficult going either way, but I can think of one area, where you go down a steep slope and then make a very sharp left turn onto a ledge. That short section would be easier south to north.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 21st, 2014, 5:19 pm

K.Wagner wrote:When I did Whittier a month ago, my GPS showed the south summit to be, as I recall, 3 feet higher, if it is to be believed.
3 feet of elevation on a GPS is most definitely NOT to be believed. :) (And I think my GPS points show 1m difference in the other direction.) Someone bring a sextant up there!

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » August 21st, 2014, 5:29 pm

Roy - thanks for the pics. I think we've made this loop Plan A for Saturday.
Thanks,
Mike J

Peder

Post by Peder » August 21st, 2014, 9:24 pm

Tomroy - Yes, I look forward to doing the loop with you. We may have to wait a year; I will only be in Oregon for two weeks this time around and therefore not overly social!

Regarding all the comments above, I thing the loop is best done from north to south, as then you visit the lakes early in the day and avoid having the climb to Bear Pass at the end of the day. That said, early in the season (late July) it would be best to come from the south, as the snow problems are at that end of the ridge (so it is easy to turn back). The ridge is easy so long as you do not loose the trail. A few years ago, I saw three hikers who had lost the trail and were climbing. I am sure they would describe the hike as "terrifying."

And yes, for the record it is my favorite hike!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Roy

Post by Roy » August 22nd, 2014, 5:48 am

adamschneider wrote:
K.Wagner wrote:When I did Whittier a month ago, my GPS showed the south summit to be, as I recall, 3 feet higher, if it is to be believed.
3 feet of elevation on a GPS is most definitely NOT to be believed. :) (And I think my GPS points show 1m difference in the other direction.) Someone bring a sextant up there!
I should have went back and read Kelly's tr I thought something different.
mjuliana wrote:Roy - thanks for the pics. I think we've made this loop Plan A for Saturday.
looks like a wonderful weekend enjoy.
Peder wrote:Tomroy - Yes, I look forward to doing the loop with you. We may have to wait a year; I will only be in Oregon for two weeks this time around and therefore not overly social!

I will be in town I have learned patience the last couple of years I look forward to being guided by the pro.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura