Southern Wallowas Strolling Through Beauty

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
woodswalker

Southern Wallowas Strolling Through Beauty

Post by woodswalker » August 20th, 2014, 2:42 pm

My plan had been to spend 4-5 days in the Wallowas camping. Old shoulder injuries still keep me from backpacking so I had set my goals to do several long day hikes exploring the various forks of the Eagle creek area. Circumstances intervened as they seem to be doing lately and I ended up doing two short day hikes. The positive side was that even on these short hikes what I walked through was stunningly beautiful..

Main Eagle creek near where I stayed

I started my first hike up the Main Eagle trail from Boulder Park where I met a friendly group of equestrians who were out to do some trail clearing. Right away there were great glimpses through the trees of the surrounding cliffs.

There were several easy creek crossings that I rock hopped across. The second bridge is out but there is a log with a rope.

This meadow was right before the broken bridge and was the largest clearing so far. There was a brief moment of partial clearing, so I quickly snapped a picture.

I went a couple miles further but the rain was really coming down steadily, sometimes as hail so I turned around and made it an 8 mile day.

Day 2, East Eagle
I had to drive back to Portland this day so I decided to go over to East Eagle see how far I could get by noon and then turn around. The drive over was lovely but slow, with some pockets of privately held land with cabins. Lucky people!!
I saw this sign a few miles from the tail head.

The trailhead area

There were views pretty constantly of great rock and cliff formations with occasional palate cleansers of beautiful forest just so you don't get bored. :)
Corkscrew falls
more views!
Coon Creek

With the jaw dropping views my pace had slowed to a crawl so I had to turn around just before crossing Coon Creek, but I felt it was a worthwhile destination.
Heading back!

Back to the trail head for a 7 mile, 1000 e.g day. Easy by gorge standards.

No bugs during the day, and things are still green with some patches of wildflowers. When I was up there the local campgrounds were having water contamination issues. The camp host at Tamarack said it was the first time that as happened to him in 17 years. I really want to go back next year when I have more time. Even shortish hikes were astounding.
Woodswalker

texasbb

Re: Southern Wallowas Strolling Through Beauty

Post by texasbb » August 20th, 2014, 7:25 pm

The southern Wallowas are wonderful. Not as many calendar picutres as in the Lakes Basin, but it always seems there's something wild and picturesque in every direction. I did a loop that finished up at Boulder Park last year and can't wait to go back and explore the parts I haven't seen yet. Sorry you didn't get as much in as you hoped, but thanks for posting what you did.

BTW, what days were you there? I was in the Lakes Basin Thursday the 14th through Saturday the 16th with a group of newish backpackers. We got pretty wet Thursday, but it settled down while we set up camp and was nice thereafter.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » August 21st, 2014, 6:48 am

Thanks for your reply. I'm hoping that my shoulder injuries settle down enough to get up into the lakes basin area next year. I've seen the pictures and they are for sure stunning and amazing, but I sort of felt like I was walking towards shangri-la, especially on east eagle the whole time. I only saw two couples on a Saturday on East eagle as well.
Woodswalker

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » August 21st, 2014, 1:22 pm

Glad you got to go, even if the trip was shorter than expected. Too bad about the rain!

I went to the Lakes Basin years ago, and maybe I need to go back because my memory has faded, but I thought the south side was way better. At the very least, it's way less crowded! Ice Lake is also highly recommended. The Wallowas are the best...
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » August 21st, 2014, 6:27 pm

Bosterson wrote:Glad you got to go, even if the trip was shorter than expected. Too bad about the rain!

I went to the Lakes Basin years ago, and maybe I need to go back because my memory has faded, but I thought the south side was way better. At the very least, it's way less crowded! Ice Lake is also highly recommended. The Wallowas are the best...
Thanks!! I love the south side!! East Eagle is now on my list of must go to every few years. I am hopeful that I will be able to make it to Ice lake sometime in the future.
Woodswalker

MariposaMan

Post by MariposaMan » August 22nd, 2014, 5:03 pm

Thanks for posting your report. It's wonderful you managed to spend time in this area. There's certainly much to explore. I did a fun (solo) backpack from the Boulder TH earlier this month, completing a loop via Cached Lake and down the Bench Trail (Canyon). I then headed over to the West Eagle TH (rough road) and enjoyed several days exploring the Echo and Traverse Lakes area, which I recommend visiting––preferably when forest fires aren't polluting the air.

Ice Lake is on my to-do list as well, though I'd prefer to visit in the off-season or on a weekday since it's a popular spot. If you enjoy the S. Wallowas and your shoulder has healed, then I highly recommend doing a multi-day backpack up East Eagle into the Lakes Basin, and then over Hawkins Pass and descending to Crater Lake (near Red Mountain) en route to completing the loop. Spectacular!

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » August 22nd, 2014, 5:07 pm

MariposaMan wrote:Thanks for posting your report. It's wonderful you managed to spend time in this area. There's certainly much to explore. I did a fun (solo) backpack from the Boulder TH earlier this month, completing a loop via Cached Lake and down the Bench Trail (Canyon). I then headed over to the West Eagle TH (rough road) and enjoyed several days exploring the Echo and Traverse Lakes area, which I recommend visiting––preferably when forest fires aren't polluting the air.

Ice Lake is on my to-do list as well, though I'd prefer to visit in the off-season or on a weekday since it's a popular spot. If you enjoy the S. Wallowas and your shoulder has healed, then I highly recommend doing a multi-day backpack up East Eagle into the Lakes Basin, and then over Hawkins Pass and descending to Crater Lake (near Red Mountain) en route to completing the loop. Spectacular!
Thanks! A backpack up East Eagle is very high on my dream list at this point. I thought the echo/ Traverse area sounded great too. But didn't make it this time.
Woodswalker