Mount Adams: Killen Creek, High Camp, etc - Aug. 16-17, 2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
trailmasterp

Re: Mount Adams: Killen Creek, High Camp, etc - Aug. 16-17,

Post by trailmasterp » August 20th, 2014, 8:03 pm

Great trip report! My dad and I were camped just a short distance away at High Camp (I recognize your tent) Friday and Saturday nights. I was going to post a TR, but you've covered the highlights perfectly. Thanks for saving me the trouble! The only thing I would add is that the Killen Creek TH parking lot was less full Friday morning (duh!) when we arrived around 11:00. We passed a few groups heading out, but saw relatively few people going in. I only counted two other tents at High Camp that night. The goats were grazing down among the tents that evening. We spoke with several people who were camped down at Killen Creek, which sounded like a total zoo.

hiker4fun

Post by hiker4fun » August 20th, 2014, 10:18 pm

Beautiful pictures. :)

RobinB

Post by RobinB » August 21st, 2014, 10:01 am

Thanks, everyone :)
drm wrote:Avalanche Valley, Sean and JoJo's Lake, this lake. So many good destinations.
You could always go all the way around :) After this trip, Sean and JoJo's TR, and Zombie's trip to Iceberg Lake, and I want to spend a lot more time up there.
-Q- wrote:High Camp is great, and the hike up Killen Creek is great, but I don't understand the fascination that the masses have with it. There are so many other great hikes at Mt Adams, and I find most of them totally devoid of hikers.
I'm with Dean here: the hike is crazy easy, especially for how nice the views are. That said, I'll probably go further off the beaten track next time.
trailmasterp wrote:My dad and I were camped just a short distance away at High Camp (I recognize your tent) Friday and Saturday nights.
Cool! Did you guys day hike at all?

drm

Post by drm » August 21st, 2014, 12:46 pm

There is another reason for Killen Creek popularity: there is huge space up there. What with the lower meadows, upper meadow, and the alpine area above, I think that dozens of groups could spread out and not be too close to each other if they work at it a bit. So it's not like some close-in areas that fill up quickly. There are also small lakes both before and after it on the PCT.

trailmasterp

Post by trailmasterp » August 22nd, 2014, 1:39 pm

trailmasterp wrote:My dad and I were camped just a short distance away at High Camp (I recognize your tent) Friday and Saturday nights.
Cool! Did you guys day hike at all?[/quote]

Yes, we hit many of the same spots you did - the lake, one of the ridges near the lake, the collapsing snow bank, etc. The similarity between your photos and my own is uncanny. It's wonder we didn't see you guys while we were out and about.