Eagle Creek Overnighter (8/14 - 8/15)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mjuliana

Eagle Creek Overnighter (8/14 - 8/15)

Post by mjuliana » August 18th, 2014, 10:11 pm

My favorite way to introduce folks to Eagle Creek is to do an overnighter from Wahtum Lake down to the Eagle Creek TH. This is a 4,000ft descent over 14 miles which makes easy going for youngsters. This trip was a rite of passage for my kids and it has been fun to introduce it to their friends.

This time it was my daughter inviting her friend and Dad along. We set out Thursday morning and stashed a car at the Eagle Creek TH. We probably could have parked in close but opted to park out by the camp host for a little added peace of mind. From there it was on to Hood River for a huge breakfast at Egg River Cafe. Yum. Yum.

We got to the TH at about noon ready to tackle the 7 miles to our camp site. I was looking forward to an all downhill hike after some of our recent adventures.

All ready to go...

After working our way down the 200 or steps of Wahtum Express, the trail is a very nicely graded walk through the forest. For the first 4 miles the tread is mostly soft and wide.

Lunch break...

The next couple of miles before getting to Eagle Creek itself has some really pretty small waterfalls.
This is one of my favorites...

We camped at my favorite spot just above 7 1/2 mile camp. There are several really nice spots but this one is right next to a 10 feet waterfall and has some deep pools which makes for some fun fly fishing...

The girls were pretty tired so they fell asleep pretty fast after the sun went down. We spent a lazy morning and finally broke camp at 11. There was a lot of the creek to explore and more fishing to do... :D

From here down to the TH, the hike really amps it up in beauty - one waterfall after another plus hiking on the trails carved out of the side of cliffs.

Tunnel Falls is one of the highlights - this has to be on the must-do list for everyone.

Lunch by Low Bridge.

Last but not least - Punchbowl Falls.

Burgers and Fries at the little burger place in Cascade Locks and pie at Shari's topped the trip off. I've done this trip 6 or 7 times now and still love seeing these waterfalls and the lush green-ness (is that a word?) throughout the Eagle Creek drainage. This is a well-loved area with a lot of traffic but well worth the time...
Thanks,
Mike J

Splintercat

Re: Eagle Creek Overnighter (8/14 - 8/15)

Post by Splintercat » August 19th, 2014, 6:13 pm

Thanks, Mike - what a great report! I really enjoy taking newcomers out on the trail, too -- and like you, EC is near the top of my list. Thanks for posting!

Tom :)

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » August 21st, 2014, 10:44 am

Splintercat wrote:Thanks, Mike - what a great report! I really enjoy taking newcomers out on the trail, too -- and like you, EC is near the top of my list. Thanks for posting!
Tom :)
Thanks Tom. EC really is a gem that we have nearby.
Thanks,
Mike J

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » August 26th, 2014, 6:34 am

I agree, I always take people who are new to town up there, whether they are just up for a couple miles or a big hike it's always perfect.
Woodswalker

hiker4fun

Post by hiker4fun » August 26th, 2014, 7:04 am

Awesome report Mike. I had done part of this hike long time ago, and came back after some distance as some of us wanted to go back. I want to go back and see all these falls. Nice pictures.

metzgerm

Post by metzgerm » August 26th, 2014, 4:14 pm

You mentioned fly fishing in some of those holes. How successful have you been and what have you used? Streamers, drys or nymphs? I have a travel rod that could pack pretty easy and that sounds like a good time while I'm out there.

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » August 26th, 2014, 4:46 pm

metzgerm wrote:You mentioned fly fishing in some of those holes. How successful have you been and what have you used? Streamers, drys or nymphs? I have a travel rod that could pack pretty easy and that sounds like a good time while I'm out there.
There's not a lot of insect activity on the creek so they fish take just about anything that goes by them. On this trip I caught fish on dries and nymphs which has always been the case. Basic patterns work just fine. A 3-weight is perfect here. The fish are eager but a "big" fish is going to be 8".
Thanks,
Mike J

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » August 26th, 2014, 4:48 pm

hiker4fun wrote:Awesome report Mike. I had done part of this hike long time ago, and came back after some distance as some of us wanted to go back. I want to go back and see all these falls. Nice pictures.
One year we tried to count all of the falls we say...I think we were over 20 at the end of the trip.
Thanks,
Mike J