McGee Creek Trail to McNeil Point Aug 16-17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
rainrunner

McGee Creek Trail to McNeil Point Aug 16-17

Post by rainrunner » August 17th, 2014, 11:05 pm

We did an overnight backpack trip from McGee Creek trail head to McNeil point.
14.4 miles
4,200 ft elevation gain.

We made camp above the shelter and then ventured up to Ho Rock in the morning. Another item off of our bucket list. Though the view was not crisp due to smoke and haze, we still had a great time and met many interesting people on the trail, especially the "Uncage the Soul" film crew who were bringing in film equipment with 50 - 70 lb packs to do some time lapse photography.

(Here is a link to some of their work.)

We headed out to the Bald Mountain viewpoint of the way back to the car to enjoy the view and have our lunch.

By the way there is a bounty of Huckleberries on the McGee Creek Trail.

We love the McGee Creek trail since it is lightly used, there were three cars at the trail head when we arrived, and four when we left.
We used to hike from this trail head when the kids were young and then camp on Bald Mountain. I can't believe I let the kids hike ahead of us with those steep hillsides along Bald Mountain.

http://gpsfly.org/a/3564
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

aircooled

Re: McGee Creek Trail to McNeil Point Aug 16-17

Post by aircooled » August 18th, 2014, 10:07 am

I always enjoy your posts, especially the night shots. Wonderful! We must have just missed you Sunday as we climbed Cathedral Ridge to McNeil and had a nice nap up on the ridge above the shelter near to where you camped. We also scouted out several nice sheltered campsites in the trees near the little stream. Might do a fall overnight up there.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » August 19th, 2014, 1:34 pm

Great shots as always. Thank you for sharing.

Sounds like a new Uncage the Soul production is in the works. Can't wait.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » August 19th, 2014, 6:46 pm

Waffle, we were trying to stay in the location you did back in Aug. 2012, but ended up being happy with the site we chose.
Ann
John Muir

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » August 19th, 2014, 6:53 pm

Did you find the location? It's easy to miss. I did a day hike via the Mazama trail on Sunday and hiked past it remembering what a great spot it is.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 19th, 2014, 8:26 pm

Thanks! As always, beautiful photos -- especially the night shots! Best shot I've seen of the McGee Creek headwater crossing - very nice.

Tom :)

Boozeman

Post by Boozeman » August 20th, 2014, 2:41 am

Love the report and the pics!!! :D

What kind of camera and gear do you use to get such clear night shots? I always enjoy your posts because they usually have some pretty amazing night photography in them. :mrgreen:

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » August 20th, 2014, 10:01 am

Waffle - I now see the general area where you were camping, I remember looking at some of the side trails in the area. I thought for sure that I would have to head back down there if everything above McNeil was filled with campers when we got up there.

Boozeman - I have used my Canon Rebel T2i with either my Sigma 18 - 250mm or the Tokina 11-16mm lens, but I recently purchased a smaller lighter weight Sony NEX-5T mirrorless with it's 16-50mm lens for backpacking which I have used on my last couple of trips. (It actually has a larger sensor than the Canon Rebel - 1.5 crop vs 1.6 crop.)
I like my Promaster XC522 tripod which weights just under 2 lbs. It is like the MeFOTO backpacker tripod.
John Muir