Bryce Canyon NP 15/16-August-2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Bryce Canyon NP 15/16-August-2014

Post by VanMarmot » August 17th, 2014, 10:41 am

After our North Rim adventures, the others headed home and we headed (on the one day it rained all day) to Bryce Canyon NP. We'd hiked there 3 years ago, in May, in freezing temperatures, and with a hint of snow in the air (Bryce Canyon 2011), and vowed to return during the "summer" when there might be sunlight to illuminate the scenery. This time we were in luck.

HIKE 1
We decided to do the Riggs Spring Loop (9 mi RT, 2250' EG) first because it seemed that its being at the S end of the Park - as far from the Visitor Center, Lodge, and General Store as possible - would make it less crowded. We were right in that we didn't see anyone else on it. The trail starts at Rainbow Point (at 9115', the Park's highest point, and one with a sweeping view to the N),

and then heads SW to Yovimpa Pass (the pipe used to bring water to the restrooms at the Point - they're all composters now due to a water shortage),

with big views of the cliffs along the way. At the pass, the trail officially becomes the Riggs Springs Loop and begins descending past the cliffs to the springs.

There are campsites at the springs and, as the name would suggest, a reasonably reliable source of water.

From there, the trail turns N, through Ponderosa pine forests,

across some minor washouts,

to open ground with a view up toward The Promontory and Yovimpa Point.

It then continues N below the cliffs,

before turning W again and climbing gently, but steadily, back up to Rainbow Point,

with some big views of the Dixie National Forest to the W.

A wonderful trail, perhaps in need of a little maintenance, but not crowded, easy to follow, and going through some startling forest and cliff country. Popular as an overnight backpack.

HIKE 2
The Fairyland Loop trail (8 mi RT, 2300' EG) is located just inside the Park's N boundary, close to where most of the visitors seem to congregate. Our last hike of this trail was in an incipient snow storm and we feared that now, in warm sunny weather, it would be overrun with other hikers. Our fears were unfounded in that we only passed about a dozen hikers during our clockwise loop. But then we do favor the early start, which may help us avoid others? So up and off with the sun,

and N along the Rim Trail,

with its view of more of the Pink Cliffs bathed in the early morning light.

The Rim Trail connects with the actual Fairyland Loop trail at Fairyland Point and that trail then descends below the Rim (the arrow shows where it starts climbing back up to the Rim),

through a wonderland of partially melted rocks - if it rained here like it does in Oregon the scenery in this park would be gone in no time.

We got the sunny day we'd wanted,

which really helped bring out the pink coral colors in the walls. If pink isn't a favorite color, this may not be the hike for you. ;)

The trail finishes traversing and descending at a feature called the Tower Bridge, which has both a window (yellow arrow) and a bridge (white arrow) formed by a much more erosion resistant stratum.

After that, it was 1.7 mi of pink back up to the Rim,

with a row of windows for scenery,

and a little now welcome shade along the way.

This is probably one of the classic hikes in the Park and has the potential to get crowded but an early start in the clockwise direction seemed to do the trick. There are a number of other hikes in the Park, but if your time is limited, we highly recommend this one and the Riggs Springs Loop for starters.
Last edited by VanMarmot on January 2nd, 2018, 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

BurnsideBob

Re: Bryce Canyon NP 13/16-August-2014

Post by BurnsideBob » August 17th, 2014, 11:08 am

Another fabulous trip report. You know how to hurt a guy who can't get out of dodge today.
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

arundodonax

Post by arundodonax » August 17th, 2014, 12:21 pm

Very nice! What kind of camera?

UTurn

Post by UTurn » August 17th, 2014, 12:22 pm

BurnsideBob wrote:Another fabulous trip report. You know how to hurt a guy who can't get out of dodge today.

I second that! Beautiful.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » August 17th, 2014, 2:41 pm

arundodonax wrote:Very nice! What kind of camera?
Thanks! Pentax K-30 with 21mm prime lens & circular polarizer.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 18th, 2014, 3:54 pm

Beautiful. It brings back memories. We'll have to go back there soon!

-Q-

Post by -Q- » August 18th, 2014, 4:27 pm

Bryce is soooooo awesome.
My favorite park amongst the myriad of places in Utah and Arizona.
Thanks so much for the post. Brought back great memories :)

Peder

Post by Peder » August 18th, 2014, 7:46 pm

Bruce - Those are wonderful pictures in your two TRs. I visited both places in 1989, so it is about time I go back and revisit. Bryce Canyon reminds me of my Sunday hike here in Kyrgyzstan: 3.5 km up a very narrow gorge prone to flash floods where after we ended up in a gigantic landscape as pictured below. There is no prize for spotting me!

Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

romann

Post by romann » August 18th, 2014, 9:52 pm

Wow - some of these pictures seem from another planet :shock:. Incredible place. I once drove by & stopped on Bryce viewpoint, but these views from the trail is the whole another story! I need to go back and spend some time up there.

Thanks for great TR.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » August 19th, 2014, 3:20 pm

Peder wrote:Bruce - Those are wonderful pictures in your two TRs. I visited both places in 1989, so it is about time I go back and revisit. Bryce Canyon reminds me of my Sunday hike here in Kyrgyzstan: 3.5 km up a very narrow gorge prone to flash floods where after we ended up in a gigantic landscape as pictured below. There is no prize for spotting me!
Thanks! Let me guess - is the umbrella a clue? Almost looks like you're Bryce as it is. You've been in Kyrgyzstan a long time - are you coming back to enjoy any of our warm summer?