Posing Pikas and a old friend MSH summit via Butte Camp 8/15

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Roy

Re: Posing Pikas and a old friend MSH summit via Butte Camp

Post by Roy » August 19th, 2014, 6:59 am

Grannyhiker wrote:Love the pika pictures! They sure are cute little critters. Since they are grass eaters, they don't snatch stuff out of your pack or hands like chipmunks (the other contender for cutest critters).

That Pika was a ham! It came out right in front of me stretched its back legs then stuck its face in the air like it was enjoying the cool rain. I watched it for some time thinking it would hide if I dug my camera out no it just started licking the rocks. Then it stared at me till I stood up but it left with no urgency.
Boozeman wrote:That looks like quite an adventure. Plus you got to see a "waskawy wock wabbit" to boot. :D
I forgot how nice that side of the mountain is it was good to get back.
sprengers4jc wrote:Great job, Tom! So glad that your knee has obviously recovered well enough for this sort of difficult hike. I loved the pika pics, too :).
My knee is now better than the rest of my body trying catch my breath is a good problem to have.
-Q- wrote:Love the west side of MSH.
Empty and awesome :P
Its a great place my gray pictures due little justice to it.
bobcat wrote:It's a great route. I did it last year and saw no human tracks. I didn't get to commune with a pika, though.
That was a great tr last year I enjoyed it.
hiker4fun wrote:Fantastic report (effort). I get scared when I see clouds much above the mountain's top itself. :roll:
If the weather is safe I enjoy those kind of days but they get old fast in August.
Don Nelsen wrote:Thanks for the TR on a rout I didn't know was the "old" way up the mountain. I'm with Guy - have to give it a go, too.

dn
Guy wrote:Hey Roy,

If the weather cooperates this fall after permit season maybe a few of us can get together & do that route!

That would be fun I am still not the fastest goat on the mountain some patience maybe necessary. Permits can be had just a few hours online before you go. October is mostly empty so that could be a option to.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

-Q-

Post by -Q- » August 19th, 2014, 3:03 pm

If the weather cooperates this fall after permit season maybe a few of us can get together & do that route!
I would love to tag along on a group summit hike if it materialized.

Roy

Post by Roy » August 20th, 2014, 4:33 am

-Q- wrote:

I dont mind going after the permit season but I might need every once of daylight those short days have to offer. Personally walking in or out in a little darkness is nothing new.

The permit thing removes the spontaneity of any trip up there till October.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 20th, 2014, 1:55 pm

Roy wrote:I had been up this route several times in winter and spring but never when the snows were all gone. So when a friend of friend gave me a single permit for Friday I decided to give it a go. I know Karl and I had planed to do this route but it fell through a couple of weeks ago. Sorry Karl I had to go.
That's okay! Totally makes sense to do it when you have the chance. And now that you've done the write-up...
-Q- wrote:
Guy wrote:If the weather cooperates this fall after permit season maybe a few of us can get together & do that route!
Don Nelsen wrote:Thanks for the TR on a rout I didn't know was the "old" way up the mountain. I'm with Guy - have to give it a go, too.
Me too! If y'all will have me. :D
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Roy

Post by Roy » August 21st, 2014, 4:33 am

kepPNW wrote:
Roy wrote:I had been up this route several times in winter and spring but never when the snows were all gone. So when a friend of friend gave me a single permit for Friday I decided to give it a go. I know Karl and I had planed to do this route but it fell through a couple of weeks ago. Sorry Karl I had to go.
That's okay! Totally makes sense to do it when you have the chance. And now that you've done the write-up...
-Q- wrote:
Guy wrote:If the weather cooperates this fall after permit season maybe a few of us can get together & do that route!
Me too! If y'all will have me. :D
Karl If I can snag even a couple of permits I will contact you first I was kind of glad it did not work out last time It was very hot and muggy that day.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 21st, 2014, 5:14 am

Roy wrote:Karl If I can snag even a couple of permits I will contact you first I was kind of glad it did not work out last time It was very hot and muggy that day.
No worries, Tom! It's gonna happen. We'll just have to wait and see when. :)

And, yeah, doing it on a day with visibility is always a bonus, too. Last time I was up there, there were just enough clouds to offer plenty of drama, but still had great views into the crater and some of the nearby volcanoes from time to time.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...