Bare It on Barrett, 25-July-2014 (SFW)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

Re: Bare It on Barrett, 25-July-2014 (SFW)

Post by justpeachy » July 29th, 2014, 7:58 am

Wow! Great report and awesome photos! :D

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » July 29th, 2014, 8:52 am

Absolutely love the clarity in all your photos, but especially the glacier shots!
You have singlehandedly put fear in our grown children's lives with the thought of their 50+ year old parents jumping on the "Topless Tour".
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » July 29th, 2014, 8:56 am

Karl, I’m glad you drew the short straw and wrote the TR. You captured the moment well. I’m so glad I snuck in another bonus, unplanned summer adventure.

And I got to hike with a couple of cool dudes.

I now have a new desktop picture for my computer.

Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 29th, 2014, 11:20 am

mjuliana wrote:Dang - impressive day's work. Great shots as usual. I'm glad you are always bringing up the rear. :D Just means we get to enjoy your shots. We went up Vista Ridge the next day but did not get up Barrett Spur. Your shots have convinced me that I need to go again.
So appreciated! :) This definitely seems like a worthy detour. I know I'll be back.
UTurn wrote:Wow! Very impressive! I must say one of my favorite shots is the mop tops. :)
Thanks! I really like those guys, too. I take far too many photos of them. :)
jointhedance wrote:Karl, great photos of a perfectly highly memorable day! Great report as usual. Love the 'dis-clothed' hikers shot. Brad's idea! I still don't know what that soccer-ball-sized sedum is, but some astute PH'er will have the name. My thought is that it is probably 50-something years old, maybe older!
Thank you for popping up with the invite! It was a great day! Certainly one of the top five or ten this year.

That was one impressive little sedum! It'll be fun to see if Brad's inspiration has any legs. :D
CraigG wrote:Well done! #ToplessTour on Bare It Spur! Seemed like quite the experience! Wonder where they are touring next??? Let's see how that lasts into the winter months! :lol:
Thanks! I think it could easily work out on a beautiful sunny snowfield! 8-)
Splintercat wrote:Thanks, Karl - terrific report, one of your best! (...though I'm biased, of course, because Mount Hood is special...) Great photos, as always! :)

I'll defer to the botanical experts, but I think your mystery flower is Cushion Buckwheat (Eriogonum ovalifolium).

BTW, I floated the idea of simply moving the Pinnacle Ridge TH down to the Elk Cove TH a few years ago, and the USFS even started a project to look at that option, but later withdrew it for reasons unknown. Still on my list of obvious things to do (the concept included a new section of the Elk Cove trail that would avoid the logging road section, too), so will keep that on the TKO list.
Much appreciated, Tom! And that's just a wonderful proposal. The bushwhack up between trailheads isn't all that bad, but knowing it's doable is something that may be far from obvious. And for sure a good mile-plus of very insigificant slope could be eliminated if that final hairpin on Elk Cove trail were cut off.
adamschneider wrote:
kepPNW wrote:Is it ironic that fireweed was prolific in the burn? Or only ironic to imagine it to be ironic?
Ummm... you do know why it's called "fireweed," right? :)
:idea: :twisted:
Peder wrote:Very tasteful topless photo, well done! Otherwise you might have been banned from PH for life for posting offensive photos!

That is my favorite spot on Mt Hood, so I was pleased to relive it through your great photos.
Thanks, Peder! Didn't want to unleash any accidental exposure up there upon the good folks here. Will it be the start of a trend?

Definitely a new favorite spot of mine, too, now!
woodswalker wrote:Amazing texture shots on those glaciers. Loved them.
Thanks! It was hard culling the 50 or so shots I took down to a reasonable few. :)
miah66 wrote:One heck of a "dayhike", though I use the term loosely! :lol: Awesome shots, one of my favorite trips on the mountain.
Heh, yeah, no one pulled out a headlamp, but I did reach for a hand torch on the last 15 minutes or so, but may not have had I not needed to dig the car keys out of my pack. Thanks!
justpeachy wrote:Wow! Great report and awesome photos! :D
rainrunner wrote:Absolutely love the clarity in all your photos, but especially the glacier shots!
You have singlehandedly put fear in our grown children's lives with the thought of their 50+ year old parents jumping on the "Topless Tour".
:lol: Go for it! It's good for the kids to be reminded parents are people too!

(Pictures, or it didn't happen!!! ;))
Born2BBrad wrote:Karl, I’m glad you drew the short straw and wrote the TR. You captured the moment well. I’m so glad I snuck in another bonus, unplanned summer adventure.

And I got to hike with a couple of cool dudes.

I now have a new desktop picture for my computer.
My pleasure! Thanks for the totally great day! So glad you could come along!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » July 29th, 2014, 4:44 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: at the opener! I might blind the mountain if I did that! :D

Hopefully, bare it all poison oak style never becomes a thing :D

aircooled

Post by aircooled » July 29th, 2014, 5:43 pm

I took a chance and trusted SFW ... and opened at work. Spectacular photos! Isn't the evening light wonderful? :)

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 30th, 2014, 6:22 am

Sean Thomas wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: at the opener! I might blind the mountain if I did that! :D

Hopefully, bare it all poison oak style never becomes a thing :D
Heheheh... I definitely chose NOT to inflict my PO shots on anyone but the doctor! :lol:

Go for it, Sean. The mountain won't care, but dunno about them goats... ;)
aircooled wrote:I took a chance and trusted SFW ... and opened at work. Spectacular photos! Isn't the evening light wonderful? :)
Thanks! Totally sweet, yep!

Just noticed something else that didn't strike me (or any of us?) at the time. Roman pointed it out in a thread elsewhere. There's a ton of fresh snow up around the summit, from all that rain and lower freezing levels last week, in those shots. That really enhances the summit zooms. Thanks nature! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Roy

Post by Roy » July 30th, 2014, 6:47 am

Sean Thomas wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: at the opener! I might blind the mountain if I did that! :D
Yeah well if I did it the mountain would choke and the following convulsion would send a torrent of ice and rock that would blast you off the spur and bury me in tons of debris :lol:
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » July 30th, 2014, 6:58 am

Great shots as usual!

What kind of post doctoring, if any? I know I probably asked this already, heh :D

My little Lumix just seems to capture everything as hazy out there...

Peder

Post by Peder » July 30th, 2014, 9:05 am

Roy wrote:
Yeah well if I did it the mountain would choke and the following convulsion would send a torrent of ice and rock that would blast you off the spur and bury me in tons of debris :lol:
Tomroy - where is the "like" button on this site?
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…