Sunrise Peak Former Fire Lookout in the Dark Divide

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Ryan Ojerio

Sunrise Peak Former Fire Lookout in the Dark Divide

Post by Ryan Ojerio » July 28th, 2014, 12:39 pm

Lola and I hiked what I call a "Lollipop Loop" starting from the Sunrise Trail #262 trailhead and going counter-clockwise. We went up the hiker only #262A, took the Sunrise Peak Trail #261A to the summit. We then descended #261A to the junction with the Juniper Ridge Trail #261 and headed south to rejoin the #262 trail and return to the trailhead.

The views on this hike were spectacular. Starting with the first ridge rise we got an excellent ahh haa view of Mt. Adams. Later as you climb higher, St. Helens comes into view and at the top you see all the nearby volcanoes as well as the many prominent peaks in the Dark Divide Roadless Area.

Wildflowers were in abundance too. The hiker-only #262A was particularly beautiful with flowers far outnumbering the few trees along the open sunny ridge. Nearing the rocky summit the route skirts a cliff and is not for the faint of heart!

The last bit to the summit is protected by a handrail and is short scramble beside a dizzying cliff drop. Lola stayed strapped in my backpack clutching her stuffed monkey and blankey and she got really quiet. The top is a small platform with the remnant anchors from the fire lookout as the only reminders of its past. Curiously we were swarmed by flies that were all over the summit like they were having a convention. We quickly retreated to take a snack break back down among the trees.

The deep ruts in the trail caused by a combination of poor trail design and motorcycle use were really hard for Lola to walk in so she spent the entire hike riding in my pack. There are some sections where the trail is flat or a shallow grade and then is great walking - no ruts at all. But steeper pitches are deeply incised; even the hiker only path is a deep rut - its simply too steep and runs to close to the fall-line.

Walking in the ruts is physically challenging and when the vegetation is thick it is hard to step out of the rut to the side. On the Juniper Ridge Trail we encountered some motorbike riders and they were friendly. In all we saw one group of riders and three groups of hikers. I'm guessing that there are other access points that the motorized users prefer to use as the sounds of motorcycles made it obvious that there were more along Juniper Ridge.

Despite the ruts, this is an incredible hike due to the constantly changing views, wildflowers and relatively short mileage. Road 2324 was in surprisingly good shape and the short spur to the summit was doable in my little 2 wheel drive Toyota pickup. But next time I won't subject Lola to staying in the backpack the entire time, she had much more fun hiking around Takhlakh Lake.

Washington Trails Association
Southwest Washington Regional Manager
[email protected]
(360) 722-2657

Sean Thomas

Re: Sunrise Peak Former Fire Lookout in the Dark Divide

Post by Sean Thomas » July 28th, 2014, 5:49 pm

This is the best TR Ive seen from the divide yet. We were over on Shark Rock and Badger Peak last weekend and saw a couple of dads enjoying lunch with their kids in a meadow looking out toward Adams. Happy faces were all around and it was great to see.

Also thanks for the commentary on trail construction etc.

Peder

Post by Peder » July 28th, 2014, 7:20 pm

Too bad about the flies on Sunrise Peak, as it is a great spot to linger. I just love the last shot of you and Lola - that is a classic!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Roy

Post by Roy » July 29th, 2014, 7:44 am

That is a keeper of a picture Ryan hang on to that one. Thanks for sharing it.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Ryan Ojerio

Post by Ryan Ojerio » July 30th, 2014, 8:31 am

She insisted I wear her ladybug antennae. As any parent of a 3 year old will tell you--you pick your battles ;)
Washington Trails Association
Southwest Washington Regional Manager
[email protected]
(360) 722-2657

Peder

Post by Peder » July 30th, 2014, 8:55 am

Ryan Ojerio wrote:She insisted I wear her ladybug antennae.
That makes me admire her 10 times more and give you the top grade as a parent! It pleases me that you both had a great time.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Roy

Post by Roy » July 31st, 2014, 2:34 pm

Ryan Ojerio wrote:She insisted I wear her ladybug antennae. As any parent of a 3 year old will tell you--you pick your battles ;)
Oh yeah I remember well kids love the back pack though. I highly recommend it.

Could it really be eighteen years ago :shock:

The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura