Out of shape around Teacup Lake

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Limey

Out of shape around Teacup Lake

Post by Limey » July 25th, 2014, 9:18 am

teacup 006 (1024x575).jpg
Life situations and hot weather have kept me off the trails for several weeks so once again I find myself in horrible shape. Thursday, the stars aligned to give us a few free hours and perfect temps. After seeing Woodswalkers post about Umbrella Falls it seemed like the perfect hike to start trying to get fit again. So, off we went. When we got to the trailhead I was amazed at how many cars were there, even a bus. Not wanting to run with the herd we went up the road to Sahalie to take pictures and plan our next move.
teacup 002 (1024x575).jpg
teacup 003 (575x1024).jpg
Pool below the bridge.
teacup 005 (1024x575).jpg
Not having much time, we knew we had to do something close by so I suggested we wander around at Teacup nordic area. It is very different without the snow. First we went by the lake.
teacup 007 (1024x575).jpg
teacup 008 (1024x575).jpg
Then we just wandered around the different ski trails which at this time of year are basically old roads. They give a pretty good workout as you are constantly alternating from uphill to downhill. Found some really interesting bridges.
teacup 012 (1024x575).jpg
teacup 014 (1024x575).jpg
And to my surprise, the infamous "7" had migrated even further from the mountain
teacup 010 (1024x575).jpg
We went from trail to trail until my back and right arm couldn't take it any more. Probably only managed to do about five miles but just to be out in the woods again really lifted my spirits. It was so quiet and peaceful with not another soul around. Now I know where to go when I only have a couple of hours. It was a great afternoon.

Roy

Re: Out of shape around Teacup Lake

Post by Roy » July 28th, 2014, 7:56 am

Limey wrote:
Life situations and hot weather have kept me off the trails for several weeks so once again I find myself in horrible shape.

I was amazed at how many cars were there, even a bus. Not wanting to run with the herd
We went from trail to trail until my back and right arm couldn't take it any more. Probably only managed to do about five miles but just to be out in the woods again really lifted my spirits. It was so quiet and peaceful with not another soul around. Now I know where to go when I only have a couple of hours. It was a great afternoon.
Nice Move finding a peaceful spot nothing worse than hiking when your banged up and have a crowd around you. Hope things improve for you and the best time to hike is coming September and as much of October as God will let us have.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

miah66

Post by miah66 » July 28th, 2014, 10:03 am

Roy wrote:the best time to hike is coming September and as much of October as God will let us have.
I love this! Can I use this as my tagline?

Cool TR, never attempted a hike in this area.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Roy

Post by Roy » July 28th, 2014, 1:02 pm

miah66 wrote:
Roy wrote:the best time to hike is coming September and as much of October as God will let us have.
I love this! Can I use this as my tagline?

Cool TR, never attempted a hike in this area.
If you can find a use for anything I say go for it. :lol:
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Limey

Post by Limey » July 28th, 2014, 2:44 pm

Roy, I always look forward to September and October, my favourite time of the year. Don't get out much in summer because of the heat.

Miah66, not exactly a hiking area but it looks like it might give a good opportunity for an off trail over to Badger lake. Something I'd like to try when it cools down.