7/20 Mt Thielsen

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
TheOtherBob

7/20 Mt Thielsen

Post by TheOtherBob » July 23rd, 2014, 6:04 pm

01.jpg
It's midweek and I haven't posted in awhile, so I thought I'd throw up an omnibus update with some delicious imagery to help stoke everyone's weekend ambitions.
I'll structure the report proper around Mt Thielsen and then include some other recent images from Hood and from up near Muir on Rainier.

I drove down to Mt Thielsen on Sunday. The opening picture was taken on my way back down when the lighting was better--it's a pretty wicked looking peak. By the time I pulled in to the TH it was almost 10:00 and the lot was nearly full.
I left at the same time as three ladies from Bend--if anyone knows a woman from bend with a lovely pair of blue eyes and a dog named "June Bug," please tell her I say hello and that I hope she made it the rest of the way up.
On the way up, I passed several of the early parties leaving, only one of which had any climbing equipment. The initial view one gets from the trail looks like this.
02.jpg
03.jpg
In the back of my mind, I knew it would get steep sooner or later, but the majority of the trail scoots along at an average 10% slope. As a tip to others: once you pass the junction with the PCT, the trail keeps tending off to the right. Resist the urge to go there and keep to the left on the middle of the ridge, so you keep the good views. This is much more obvious on the way down if you miss it on the way up.
Once I cleared the trees, I finally found out what I was in for when the trail went from a 10% slope to a 40% slope. Trekking poles can still be used for the first bit of that, but eventually it gets steep and rocky enough that hands are preferable to poles.
04.jpg
A humorous elevation profile
Google Earth botched their topography, so my overlay looks funky. Just imagine that the curve goes right up to a point.
05.jpg
Google Earth needs some love from its engineers.
Once I was on the rocky portion of the ascent, I stayed on the ridge and followed the track up--in many places it is easier to follow on the way down than on the way up, but I highly recommend sticking to it because deviations can become tedious quickly, especially given the slope.
These two images are examples of the surroundings on the way up.
06.jpg
07.jpg
Eventually, there is a reasonably flat spot to take in the view and take a break while pondering whether or not one wants to climb the remaining 60 or so feet of rock to get to the summit. It is imposing.
There was a fellow named Paul (also from Bend) up there with his son and daughter and they were gracious enough to wait for me to climb up, take pictures, and then climb down, in case something happened--thanks, Paul!
I always appreciate it when there's a trophy at the top.
08.jpg
Token trophy shot
09.jpg
Looking one way
10.jpg
Looking the other way
11.jpg
Mt Bailey
12.jpg
Mt Bailey and Diamond Lake
13.jpg
South Sister, Broken Top, Bachelor
14.jpg
Some geology
15.jpg
Some more geology

TheOtherBob

Re: 7/20 Mt Thielsen

Post by TheOtherBob » July 23rd, 2014, 6:11 pm

16.jpg
*looks mischievous* I need a watermelon, STAT!
The trip down was much easier than the trip up, especially once I was down past the upper, rocky portion of the trail to where there is soil and poles can be used again. As a parting FYI, there were mosquitoes on the lower regions of the trail, but they were not horrible. I caught two of them and ended up with five bites.
One last panoram from the way down.
17.jpg
Now let's rewind to the weekend of the 12th and 13th. I needed some paradise in my life, so I went up to Paradise. (yes, I'm about to include easter eggs in a TR)
I left late, so I was only up to 8500' at my turn around time, but here are some gratuitous panorams for the everyone's general enjoyment. There were a LOT of people up there.
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg
22.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg
Fast forward to last Saturday, and I was up poking around on Hood to get some elevation. There were quite a few parties still going up to the summit--the first party coming down I saw reported 6-9 groups up there.
I noticed one group heading up from the hogs back at 10:00, and was able to resolve from the parking lot other folks still up very close to the summit at 12:30.
Here was the view from 7 a.m.
27.jpg
Good morning
The fires were very obvious from the slopes.
28.jpg
sadness
View at 12:30.
29.jpg
See the three little climbers up there?
30.jpg
midday sprawl
That's all for now. Happy Hiking!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 24th, 2014, 9:28 am

Wow, that may be the first report I've seen here on Thielson! It looks terrifying from afar. :)

You mentioned the lack of "climbing gear" in one party, but didn't really say you used anything other than your hands yourself. Was this at all technical, or did it actually amount to a walk-up?

Excellent photos! Really appreciated reading this one, thanks!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » July 24th, 2014, 10:05 am

The final climb to the top of Mt. Thielsen is probably class 4. Some parties rope up for it, some don't. I've done it, solid holds and fairly obvious route, but it's definitely not a walk up.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » July 24th, 2014, 10:07 am

TheOtherBob wrote: Fast forward to last Saturday, and I was up poking around on Hood to get some elevation. There were quite a few parties still going up to the summit--the first party coming down I saw reported 6-9 groups up there.
I noticed one group heading up from the hogs back at 10:00, and was able to resolve from the parking lot other folks still up very close to the summit at 12:30.
Yikes! :shock:

Nice photos of Hood this late in the year. It looks quite horrid without snow, can't imagine why anyone would want to climb it now, let alone think it was safe to do so...
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 24th, 2014, 2:59 pm

olderthanIusedtobe wrote:The final climb to the top of Mt. Thielsen is probably class 4. Some parties rope up for it, some don't. I've done it, solid holds and fairly obvious route, but it's definitely not a walk up.
Sounds about how the photos looked. I guess if I find myself in the neighborhood, I may wander up for all but that last push. I'd be good with that. Probably. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » July 24th, 2014, 4:34 pm

kepPNW wrote:
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:The final climb to the top of Mt. Thielsen is probably class 4. Some parties rope up for it, some don't. I've done it, solid holds and fairly obvious route, but it's definitely not a walk up.
Sounds about how the photos looked. I guess if I find myself in the neighborhood, I may wander up for all but that last push. I'd be good with that. Probably. :)
I used to do some technical rock climbing, both road side cragging and alpine routes up in the mountains. Plus quite a bit of solo scrambling on peaks with anywhere from class 3 to low 5th class terrain. At the time I thought Thielsen was fairly easy and ropes were unnecessary. However I've found my risk tolerance has changed considerably and a few things I've repeated years later weren't as "easy" as I remember them being. Kinda funny how perspective changes.

Anyway going most of the way to the top of Thielsen is interesting. There's some steep scree to deal with but some fascinating weird volcanic rock formations, some of the OP's photos definitely capture that.

Roy

Post by Roy » July 25th, 2014, 3:02 pm

The last bit up Thielsen is fun the last time I was there some idiot painted bright orange spots where they thought the best holds were. Nice scrambles is the one thing thats missing around here. I put a lot of miles on my cars going North and East of here over the the years.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura