Cooper Spur Shuttle, 19-July-2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kepPNW

Cooper Spur Shuttle, 19-July-2014

Post by kepPNW » July 22nd, 2014, 6:19 pm

Jim (Crusak) asked me last week, after reading TRoy's TR to Cooper Spur, if I'd be interested in going up there too. I wasn't really thrilled with the idea of an in/out from the ski area at 3800', and remembered an idea that occurred to me on a Gnarl Ridge loop last summer. So I proposed we do a shuttle, meeting up at Elk Meadows TH, leaving one rig there, and driving about 13 or 14 miles over to the gated road that goes up to Cloud Cap. The plan was to hike up to Tilly Jane, continue on past the shelter up as high as we felt like on Cooper Spur, drop back down to the Timberline Trail by whatever shortcut looked good from up above, traverse westward across Gnarl Ridge over towards Lamberson Butte, and finally descend back down to Hood River Meadows. One real beauty of this was our destination was nearly 1000' higher than our starting point, saving us the punishment of that extra descent. :)

Opening pic: Our primary goal was this ridge at about 8500'.

Saturday started out very gloomy. But passing through Government Camp, the sky began to lighten considerably. Within a few more miles, crystal clear blueness that would stick with us the rest of the day was all around. We met at Elk Meadows TH just after 8:00, shifted gear between rigs, got over to the gated Cloud Cap road by about 8:40 and were on the trail shortly after. About 3/4 of a mile in, we had a choice of following the (traditional?) Tilly Jane ski trail up, or the (less traditional?) Polallie Ridge trail. A few shrugs, and WTHs later, we went with the latter. It seemed like a good choice in retrospect, but with nothing to compare it to, um, "it was nice." :)

The trails were exceedingly well marked down below.

Almost right away, we entered the 2008 Tilly Jane fire scarred area. The views opened right up, too!

It was Jim's first trip to this side of the mountain, so it was cool pointing out our destination from way down here.

A brisk wind was with us all day. It was loud enough, these deer weren't aware of us until we were quite close. Two does, two fawns.

After watching them for a bit, we let 'em know we were there, so we could all go our separate ways.

Started catching glimpses of the Washington volcanoes pretty early, too. Adams was the only one not wearing a skirt of clouds.

The ridge was carpeted in fields of purple and gold.

Couldn't resist the frame job this burnt out knothole offered!

It's photo ops like this that keep me at the back of the pack on most hikes.

Two shots, same position. As Jim was shooting this, I was telling him I thought I could see the shelter. (I lied, but I knew about where it was.)

Blind, super-zoom, from same spot as shot above. See the shelter? It's there. :)

Soon enough, almost by surprise, we found ourselves at Tilly Jane. The CCC probably built this amphitheater in 1938.

Very nice info sign, put up as an Eagle project in 2011, telling all about this little wayside.

Love this photo! This was the standard climbing route up Hood before Timberline Lodge was built.

The a-frame was locked up, but we peeked and poked around a bit to have a looksee.

"We have our ways..."

A-frame artwork.

The wind was picking up as we climbed, and the Polallie Creek valley was a constant dust cloud of activity.

A little after 11:00, we were breaking through timberline.

Stopped for the obligatory photos of the CCC constructed shelter. This one seems to be in the best shape of all still standing!

Met a really nice gal here, who was setting up camp before exploring the area more.

The first signs of spring were only just now hitting up here, as random asters and penstemon clung to the rock.

Crossing the glacier appeared to be far less difficult that getting in or out of that valley! (St. Helens and Rainier on horizon.)

I suppose we pulled over at nearly every overlook to admire that beautiful glacier!

Check out the ski tracks between crevasses.

Really almost requires a pano to take in the whole mountain at this close range.

Most of the trail is melted out, but there are still significant portions where the only choice is to bomb up the rubble.

Jim took this moments after my hat whizzed 200' in half a second. Didn't put it back on until we dropped down to Lamberson Butte.

Spotted a skier, but didn't get the camera out until s/he was pretty much done with the run.

Above, two hikers with ice axes chose to climb the snowfield rather than the rubble.

Same photo as above, without the zoom. See the hikers? Yeah, we still got a ways to go!

Now I see an exit strategy on the west side of the valley, and three hikers using it. Still no clear way out on the east side.

The ice patterns on Elliot are endlessly fascinating.

Wow.

The scale is simply incomprehensible.

The traditional climbing route. Not overly littered with rocks yet?

The classic backdrop shot.

Above about 8000', there really is no more trail. Just a lunar-like rubble scramble.

The first thing that hits you, after cresting the spur at 8500', is the realization that Oregon is on fire.

* shudder *

Prelude to the worst fire season so far?

Another iconic/obligatory shot. Hard to miss this one, just above the 8500' windbreak.

Such a poser. (Not technically a selfie, if someone else took it, right?)

New trail friend Laura was just soaking up the radiant heat from a lava bomb lizard rock, and offered to share the superb vantage point.

That ice!

After a quick snack, we wandered out to Tie-In Rock.

And this became the end-of-the-trail, for today. The ridge was clear a bit higher, but the winds were well over 70mph now.

Best lava bomb lizard rock you'll find up here!

We said goodbye here, as she was in no hurry to get back down but we had many miles to go. Her infectious smile really summed up the wonder of this place.

Finally, on our way back down, Jim and I remember to take the traditional TFF buddy shot!

Penstemon on the moon.

Descending the rubble wasn't a lot of fun...

So we quickly switched gears when the slope and runout seemed reasonable.

Testing the snow legs.

Yeeee-haw!

In no time, we were back on the Timberline Trail, where we met a couple of guys running a 360°.

The next mile and a half was probably 50-60% pitched snow field. That got a bit old.

Every time we'd crest a little ridge, another hugeass snowfield lay ahead.

Temps were in the low-70s, as was the wind. One word: Extreme Exposure. (OKay, I lied, two.)

"No, really, Jim. I promise. This is the last snowfield before Gnarl Ridge."

"Yeah, I've heard that before!" Heh...

Once again, the conflagration to our south came slamming back into view!

BOOM!!!

The lupine was really kicking back into gear, though.

How many ways can you say, "Yikes!"?

As we rounded a bend, I heard water! An ice-cold spring, coming right out of the mountain. (N45.36822° W121.65713°)

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-mmm!

Again, more blankets of purple and gold.

We'd finally arrived on Gnarl Ridge, proper. It was about 4:30.

I'd looked forward to sitting and soaking up this view. But we were still being sand-blasted, so it was not to be.

So instead we rambled on down towards Lamberson Butte where, mercifully, the wind finally subsided.

And when I say "sand-blasted", I'm really not kidding.

Lamberson Butte looks so different from above than it does from below.

We dropped packs here to take twenty. Marvelous!!! Found that half of the mystery "47" had migrated, too!

Near the shelter ruins beside Lamberson, I spotted what might make a pretty nice little campsite.

But I really wondered what folks were burning in this elaborate fire pit! Grizzled old whitebark pine???

The remainder of the descent was rather uneventful, given how awesome everything up high was.

Got to show Jim the bizarre mystery tree on the Elk Meadows trail.

Enjoyed a mini-explosion of Cascade Lilies along the switchbacks.

Displayed perfectly horrible form crossing Newton Creek.

And finally noted that Splintercat's got his fingers in just about everything up here. :)

At the end of the day, the numbers were all over the place. The GPS seems to have been blown *waaaay* off course by the high winds messing up the barometer within.

See all those spikes?

So I don't put a whole lot of stock in these numbers...

Image Image
Would a GPS lie?

But I would heartily recommend doing this hike as a shuttle with two vehicles, if you possibly can! The added variety just adds spectacularly to the standard in/out.

Look at how much ground we could cover with two rigs! GPSfly track.

Truly, another fabulous day on the mountain! :D
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

retired jerry

Re: Cooper Spur Shuttle, 19-July-2014

Post by retired jerry » July 22nd, 2014, 6:43 pm

So many interesting pictures to study.

I like how you tricked Cruzak to stare, looking for Cooper Spur shelter, even though it wasn't visible, so you could get a good picture.

I made waypoint of that spring. That is a really useful spot to be able to get water. I wonder if it goes dry later?

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » July 22nd, 2014, 7:36 pm

Your shuttle idea is superb and a perfect way to see so much of the mountain in one day! Thanks for the great report.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

Zia

Post by Zia » July 22nd, 2014, 8:20 pm

This is one that is on my to do list this year. Thank you for the wonderful report and as always the great photos to go along with it.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » July 22nd, 2014, 8:22 pm

Looks like you guys had an awesome day :) Nice pics of the eliot and those fires down south too. Hopefully todays rain helped a little?

joerunner

Post by joerunner » July 22nd, 2014, 8:41 pm

Beautiful report. Those winds really picked up after we went through.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » July 22nd, 2014, 9:22 pm

Really awesome day. Only my second hike on Mt Hood ever, and the first one this year. It's a whopper of a climb from that trailhead. Weather was perfect, except for the wind. LOL yes those snowfields were a little outside my comfort zone. It seemed worse due to the wind that kept wanting to knock me over. :) Toward the end I think I figured out in the back of my mind that it was unlikely that I would slide down to my death. :o

Great idea for a shuttle hike, Karl. It's not that far to drive from one end to the other and we got to see so much in one day.

I had plenty of concerns prior to the hike, including some chronic foot problems, stomach issues and the like. But by "go" time I felt pretty good. Unfortunately I ran out of gas short of the top (my GPS said I was at 8380') but I found a majestic throne (huge rock with a built-in backrest) to sit on while taking a break, taking my boots off and getting out of the wind.

Oh, and we topped it off with dinner at Full Sail Brewery in Hood River. Long day! But so worth it.
joerunner wrote:Beautiful report. Those winds really picked up after we went through.
joerunner, were you one of the guys who passed us running the TT? Cool. Karl and I chatted at length pondering what it takes to run 40 miles around a mountain at timberline elevation. :)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

RobinB

Post by RobinB » July 22nd, 2014, 9:24 pm

What a great idea - thanks for the TR and pictures :)

Peder

Post by Peder » July 22nd, 2014, 9:52 pm

Great TR Karl - Thank you for sharing!

PS: I now have a "Karl's Spring" waypoint - thank you. :D
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 23rd, 2014, 6:41 am

Excellent report and photos, as always, Karl!
But I really wondered what folks were burning in this elaborate fire pit! Grizzled old whitebark pine???
Agreed -- as neat and tidy as that setup appears, I think I might dismantle that fire pit next time I'm up there (I dismantled one on the ridge, proper, last year - including half-burned chunks of old whitebark pine). Fires in that environment are not only unsustainable in terms of the available wood vs. number of hikers, but could also be a catastrophe if a human-caused fire somehow spread and took out some of the ancients growing up there. That's a real possibility, given there is no nearby water supply by the campsite in your photo, and thus no responsible way to extinguish a fire when leaving. Personally, I'd like to see fires banned along the entire Timberline Trail except at developed campgrounds (e.g., Cloud Cap Saddle), though I know it's part of the "camping experience" for many to have one.

Thanks for posting!

Tom :)