Another (quiet) day in Paradise 7/19/2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
aircooled

Another (quiet) day in Paradise 7/19/2014

Post by aircooled » July 21st, 2014, 9:52 am

On an amazingly clear and beautiful day, I'd expected Paradise to be crowded with overnighters and crawling with day trippers, but we saw hardly a soul on Saturday. Maybe it's because our slacker schedule had us leaving the Timberline Lodge parking lot at ...um ... noon. :roll: But that still doesn't explain seeing only two tents, although it's possible more arrived after we left. Water was high and crossing Zig Zag was possible but tricky. I did it by standing on rocks that were a half inch under the flow. Maybe that kept day trippers away?

Good views of fires to the south. See the huge smoke plume to the east of Jeff?

Some new signage from USFS.

Not many wildflowers. :( We did see some lupine and paintbrush, and the balsamroot will be flowering soon I think.

A nice stand of heather

We looped back via the PCT

Water was running high everywhere, even on little crossings.

Yarrow - a valuable medicinal herb known to some herbalists as the "master of the blood."

More fun stream crossings.

Zig Zag Canyon

What are those tracks in the snow?

I saw a barefoot hiker just ahead of me. She left this track.

Hikers negotiate another high stream

Anybody know this bird species?

On our return the fires were still burning away.
Last edited by aircooled on July 21st, 2014, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

joerunner

Re: Another (quiet) day in Paradise 7/19/2040

Post by joerunner » July 21st, 2014, 10:02 am

Great report aircooled. Good pictures. I was up there circling the mountain on the same day and I have to say that the Zig Zag was the least treacherous of the notable water crossings that day sans the ones with snow bridges. Lot of water coming off the mountain.

miah66

Post by miah66 » July 21st, 2014, 10:06 am

I think your bird is a Clark's Nutcracker. It has some cool white marking on the wings when in flight. Like it's cousins, the crows, it has a very annoying call, especially outside your tent at 5 am. Buries it's food in thousands of caches, which it remembers where it puts them all.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Clar ... ker/sounds
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

aircooled

Post by aircooled » July 21st, 2014, 10:14 am

joerunner wrote:I was up there circling the mountain on the same day and I have to say that the Zig Zag was the least treacherous of the notable water crossings that day sans the ones with snow bridges. Lot of water coming off the mountain.
I think we met you on the trail close to Timberline. Around 7 pm? Blue day pack?

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 21st, 2014, 10:23 am

Nice report, Jeff! I think I'll give it a few more weeks, and see if I can hit closer to peak. Good to see where it's at. :)
joerunner wrote:I was up there circling the mountain on the same day and I have to say that the Zig Zag was the least treacherous of the notable water crossings that day sans the ones with snow bridges. Lot of water coming off the mountain.
Boy, no kidding! Did we (Crusak and I) cross paths with you below Cooper Spur about 3:20? We met two runners there who'd gone clockwise from Timberline Lodge, and were thinking the Elliot was going to be the worst of what was left to cross. Seemed the Newton was flowing pretty good, though, too, when we crossed it later on.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » July 21st, 2014, 10:28 am

I have to agree that the river crossings, though not difficult, do turn away day hikers. On the way to Ramona Falls, there is water to navigate on the other side of the bridge and the couple ahead of us turned back saying the trail ended. Once they saw we didn't have a problem crossing, they continued on. Returning yesterday, we noticed that someone had moved some rocks to make it an easier water crossing.

We never can leave a trailhead before 2pm on Saturdays because of Kevin's work, so you have us beat by two hours.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 21st, 2014, 11:36 am

7/19/2040? Shouldn't this be in the "Travels in Time" forum? ;)

aircooled

Post by aircooled » July 21st, 2014, 11:59 am

adamschneider wrote:7/19/2040? Shouldn't this be in the "Travels in Time" forum? ;)
Yikes! Thanks for catching that! If I am still hiking in 2040 ... let's see, I'll be 85 ... I'll have to do this hike again since the TR is already written.

olderthanIusedtobe

Re: Another (quiet) day in Paradise 7/19/2014

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » July 21st, 2014, 12:00 pm

The bird is definitely a Clark's nutcracker. While they are a bit loud/obnoxious I like them anyway.

joerunner

Post by joerunner » July 22nd, 2014, 8:20 pm

aircooled wrote:
I think we met you on the trail close to Timberline. Around 7 pm? Blue day pack?
That was us I think. There were 3 of us.