Siouxon/Observation PK/Sister Rock/Horsehoe rdge 7.20.14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Eric Peterson

Re: Siouxon/Observation PK/Sister Rock/Horsehoe rdge 7.20.14

Post by Eric Peterson » July 24th, 2014, 8:46 pm

Thanks all for the replies, couldn't make a reply myself until now :)

Sean, I was hurtn' for sure the next day and was surprised myself to bust out those stats, heh.

VM, I think you are 100% correct, that old trail system was what connected the area before the
formal roads were built over most of those trails, or at least that's what it looks like when perusing
those old USGS quads over on Caltopo etc :) That's what gave me the idea that a connector might
still be around...

Jack

Post by Jack » July 25th, 2014, 9:19 pm

Wow, you answered quite a few questions in one hike, EP. Nice to know the extended Siouxon Tr. is clear, now. I always thought the ridge off Sister Rocks to the road would be the logical route down to the road, too. I wonder if there might be a game tr. scaling around that south side of that “big ass hill in the way”.

Nice mega-hike and TR! :D

miah66

Post by miah66 » December 10th, 2014, 12:54 pm

Awesome EP. I was just thinking about this while hiking Siouxon last weekend. "I wonder who has hiked all the way to Observation Pk? Maybe I could arrange a car shuttle or an overnighter to do the whole thing." Ha! You did it all in one day from the same TH! Amazing! In hindsight, would you just skip that road walk and go back the same way you came, or try some OT across Calamity Creek or something?
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » December 11th, 2014, 6:26 am

:lol:

Yeah, skip that road walk for sure. It was truly a dreadful road hike but I wanted to connect over to the Horseshoe Ridge trail.