Broken Top Loop (7-20, 13.75 miles, 2,350')

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kepPNW

Re: Broken Top Loop (7-20, 13.75 miles, 2,350')

Post by kepPNW » July 21st, 2014, 1:55 pm

nautachris wrote:
kepPNW wrote:
nautachris wrote:9 AM on a Sunday, to me this is church
Amen, brother! :) Gorgeous report. I totally need to get down there. You don't happen to track your adventures on gps, do you? Would love to see where these places are on a map.
I do actually track all my hikes, I just haven't really done anything with any of the GPX files recently. I have grandiose plans of finishing this tool I was writing for ArcMap that would automatically import the GPX track, then clip a bunch of data layers and spit out a map of the area, but things have been too busy. I'll happily send you the track files if you have any use for them.
I'd really enjoy seeing this one, thanks! I can PM you an email address, if that's easiest. I've played a little with bringing them into ArcMap. (Checkout this tool if you don't have a good one already.) Never found any real magic; they are just as tedious to edit there as anywhere, I guess. I do love being able to spit out GeoPDFs with my own tracks already on them, though! :) In the meanwhile, I just upload all of mine to gpsfly, which lets anyone search for them (albeit only via Google) and it's really easy to point folks to them, too.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

nautachris

Post by nautachris » July 21st, 2014, 3:18 pm

Aha - got it.

http://gpsfly.org/g/3494

If for whatever reason you can't download it, PM me and I'll email it to you. Thanks for pointing out that site!

I was aware of the Import GPX tool in ArcToolbox...I wrote my own import GPX tool with ArcObjects, primarily as an XML to Linq tutorial because the GPX files can get a bit complex...I'm hoping to find the time where I can automate the process of creating trail maps by preprocessing the data and creating new map documents based off a single template...it seems like 75% of the process is clipping, exporting, labeling, etc. and sadly my attention span is rather short

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 21st, 2014, 3:27 pm

nautachris wrote:Aha - got it. http://gpsfly.org/g/3494

If for whatever reason you can't download it, PM me and I'll email it to you. Thanks for pointing out that site!
Thanks! And no problem! Yep, it's really a nice repository used by many here. Amazing how often you can find a track by a name you recognize. I only wish the author was even remotely responsive. Darn site is built on v2 Google Maps API, which is no longer supported. I've thought about trying to update it myself. (Cue: Attention span issues. ;))
nautachris wrote:I was aware of the Import GPX tool in ArcToolbox...I wrote my own import GPX tool with ArcObjects, primarily as an XML to Linq tutorial because the GPX files can get a bit complex...I'm hoping to find the time where I can automate the process of creating trail maps by preprocessing the data and creating new map documents based off a single template...it seems like 75% of the process is clipping, exporting, labeling, etc. and sadly my attention span is rather short
I hear that. Every time I think I'm going to spend some time automating something in ArcGIS, it seems, they go and change the language or object model or something. I just get irritated, find a tool someone else wrote to do something similar, and move on. One thing I'd really like is to find some sort of "track averaging" tool, that'd take an assortment of tracks covering the same trail, and produce a best/median representation of it.

Was there an Import GPX tool built-in? I must have tried that, and found it lacking. That other one I linked to works very nicely, though.
Karl

aircooled

Post by aircooled » July 21st, 2014, 3:32 pm

kepPNW wrote:Was there an Import GPX tool built-in? I must have tried that, and found it lacking. That other one I linked to works very nicely, though.
The GPX import tool is part of the ArcMap Toolbox. Look under Conversion Tools. There are tools for importing GPX to features and KML to Layer.

:)

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 21st, 2014, 5:04 pm

aircooled wrote:
kepPNW wrote:Was there an Import GPX tool built-in? I must have tried that, and found it lacking. That other one I linked to works very nicely, though.
The GPX import tool is part of the ArcMap Toolbox. Look under Conversion Tools. There are tools for importing GPX to features and KML to Layer.

:)
Yeah, found it. Sure can't remember what I thought its shortcomings were, but I do recall rejecting it before going to look for a better one. I guess now I have to play with it again, just to confirm I'm not making this all up! ;)
Karl