North and South Mattieu Lakes, and Yapoah Crater (Attempt)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
UTurn

Re: North and South Mattieu Lakes, and Yapoah Crater (Attemp

Post by UTurn » July 22nd, 2014, 3:16 am

FluttershyIsMagic wrote:
-Q- wrote:Curious on when you did this hike??

I hiked to the summit of Yapoah Crater this past Saturday (7/19) and barely stepped foot on any snow. The trail is basically totally clear of snow all the way to the meadows on the western side of Yapoah Crater. I am a bit confused on the snow you encountered. Did you get off trail by chance??

Oops, I forgot to mention the date in my post. I hiked this hike on the first week of July.
I was really glad to read this. We are backpacking around all 3 Sisters the first of August and I'm hoping it's all clear. I suppose our biggest concern now is wildfires, which we are watching closely.

-Q-

Re: North and South Mattieu Lakes, and Yapoah Crater (Attemp

Post by -Q- » July 22nd, 2014, 10:10 am

UTurn wrote:
FluttershyIsMagic wrote:
-Q- wrote:Curious on when you did this hike??

I hiked to the summit of Yapoah Crater this past Saturday (7/19) and barely stepped foot on any snow. The trail is basically totally clear of snow all the way to the meadows on the western side of Yapoah Crater. I am a bit confused on the snow you encountered. Did you get off trail by chance??

Oops, I forgot to mention the date in my post. I hiked this hike on the first week of July.
I was really glad to read this. We are backpacking around all 3 Sisters the first of August and I'm hoping it's all clear. I suppose our biggest concern now is wildfires, which we are watching closely.
I ran into quite a few PCT hikers coming up from the south. There looks to be quite a bit of snow heading towards Opie Dilldock pass, but with the hikers heading through, it should be nicely tracked out.

Based on the conditions that FlutterShyisMagic ran into, verse what I had this past weekend (2 week gap), it looks like the snow is melting very quickly.