North and South Mattieu Lakes, and Yapoah Crater (Attempt)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Naturebat

North and South Mattieu Lakes, and Yapoah Crater (Attempt)

Post by Naturebat » July 20th, 2014, 2:24 pm

I took a trip down to the Three Sisters area with my dad, and we hiked the North and South Mattieu Lakes Hike. We intended to get to Collier Cone, or at least to Yapoah Crater (and hike off-trail to the top), but snow stopped us about a mile past South Mattieu Lake.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this was hiked on the first week of July. The snow has mostly melted away, all the way to Yapoah Crater according to -Q-.

Opening Image:

It was a wonderful sunny day when we started the hike. The mosquitoes were really bad up until we reached South Mattieu Lake, and disappeared when we got into the lava flows. The wind kept them away for us! :P This was my first time hiking south of the Olallie Lake Scenic Area, and the scenery was definitely impressive!

We started at the Lava Camp Trailhead:

And entered the Three Sisters Wilderness:

The trail started out through beautiful forest:

Soon we came to a junction with the Pacific Crest Trail. It goes both ways from here; we headed left.

There were a few blowdowns along the trail too:

We passed numerous small ponds like this one here. The mosquitos were really bad around these ponds, so I had to take the picture and run :lol:

We passed this nice, small meadow before reaching North Mattieu Lake:

North Mattieu Lake was very nice:

The wind started to pick up, and helped to keep the mosquitoes away. Also, the sunny weather we had earlier soon became intermittent clouds and sun.

Not long after North Mattieu, we reached South Mattieu Lake:

South Mattieu Lake:

The craggy north face of North Sister looming above South Matttieu Lake:

After leaving the lake, we rejoined the PCT which traveled alongside the lava flow for a ways:

Trail over the snow:

We encountered this weird hole in the snow that somehow melted out faster than the snow around it:

The trail entered the lava flow here:

Lava Flows above South Mattieu Lake:

Mount Washington viewed through the trees:

North Sister looming above the lava:

The PCT traversing the lava:

Mount Washington, at 7,795':

View from left to right: Mount Washington, Three Fingered Jack, Mount Jefferson, Mount Hood, and Black Crater Peak:

There were regular intermittent snow patches along the trail, but it was pretty easy to follow nevertheless.

We stopped here, about .8 miles from South Mattieu Lake, because we encountered a 10' snow cornice blocking the trail. We were concerned about the snow caving in if we crossed, so we decided to just stop here. I climbed up to that rocky knob on the left side of this photo for better views. It must have been at least 10 feet above the snowfields below, enough to get a better view of the surroundings:

Mount Jefferson and that unnamed? hill above South Mattieu Lake:

North Sister view:

Yapoah Crater, our intended destination:

Mount Jefferson, Mount Hood (middle), and the butte above South Mattieu Lake:

And once again, Fluttershy at the Three Sisters Wilderness! It has been ponified! Next, the world! :lol:

A panorama shot with my iPhone:
Higher resolution: http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer ... er=7473456

And after spending some time here soaking in the views, we headed back down the trail where we came. Here is a shot I got of a silhouetted tree:

South Mattieu Lake again, but this time with more sun and blue sky!

On our way back to our campground, I took these pictures of the sunset at McKenzie Pass:

North Sister and Middle Sister:

Black Crater from McKenzie Pass. I really want to do the hike up to its summit... perhaps next time I head down here.

Sunset:
Last edited by Naturebat on July 22nd, 2014, 12:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
- Previously ElementalFX

sgyoung

Re: North and South Mattieu Lakes, and Yapoah Crater (Attemp

Post by sgyoung » July 20th, 2014, 2:49 pm

Great trip and photos, even if the snow cut things short a bit. What a beautiful area.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 20th, 2014, 2:51 pm

It's really nice up there. Wise to not fall through cornice :D

Easy to hike up to that un-named hill above South Mattieu. And all around up there

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » July 20th, 2014, 3:27 pm

retired jerry wrote:It's really nice up there. Wise to not fall through cornice :D

Easy to hike up to that un-named hill above South Mattieu. And all around up there
I thought about climbing it, but it was getting late, and we had a long drive back to our campground. It would be nice to make a base camp at South Mattieu Lake and explore the area a bit. So many possibilities! :D
- Previously ElementalFX

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » July 20th, 2014, 3:29 pm

sgyoung wrote:Great trip and photos, even if the snow cut things short a bit. What a beautiful area.
Thanks! It was really beautiful, and I definitely plan to return to the area again sometime!
- Previously ElementalFX

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » July 20th, 2014, 3:35 pm

retired jerry wrote: Easy to hike up to that un-named hill above South Mattieu.
Let's just roll with Fluttershy Hill ;) . It's got a nice ring to it.

RobinB

Post by RobinB » July 20th, 2014, 9:37 pm

Great TR! I've somehow never been to that part of the Wilderness, but it's now on my (increasingly long) to-do list.
sgyoung wrote:
retired jerry wrote: Easy to hike up to that un-named hill above South Mattieu.
Let's just roll with Fluttershy Hill ;) . It's got a nice ring to it.
Seconded.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » July 21st, 2014, 9:38 am

Curious on when you did this hike??

I hiked to the summit of Yapoah Crater this past Saturday (7/19) and barely stepped foot on any snow. The trail is basically totally clear of snow all the way to the meadows on the western side of Yapoah Crater. I am a bit confused on the snow you encountered. Did you get off trail by chance??

romann

Post by romann » July 21st, 2014, 7:37 pm

Beautiful photos, South Mattieu Lake is quite scenic. Also, the first part of the trail going in the trees and looking at this lava wall, very unusual sight. I like that hike.

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » July 22nd, 2014, 12:25 am

-Q- wrote:Curious on when you did this hike??

I hiked to the summit of Yapoah Crater this past Saturday (7/19) and barely stepped foot on any snow. The trail is basically totally clear of snow all the way to the meadows on the western side of Yapoah Crater. I am a bit confused on the snow you encountered. Did you get off trail by chance??

Oops, I forgot to mention the date in my post. I hiked this hike on the first week of July. The trail was easy to find, up until that last snow cornice. Glad to know its clear now! :) Maybe I should try it again, or wait until next year... so many hikes to do in such little time before the snow comes in!
- Previously ElementalFX