Three Fingered Jack Loop 7/12-7/14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kaltbluter

Three Fingered Jack Loop 7/12-7/14

Post by kaltbluter » July 17th, 2014, 7:54 pm

I did a 38 mile loop around Three Fingered Jack last weekend. My GPS track can be view here. I started at Marion Lake and traveled clockwise. I didn't travel on the track labeled "shortcut?", more on that later.

First off, here is a shot of the sunset from near Silverton when I was on my way to drop the kids off with their grandmother on Friday night.

I didn't get to Marion Lake trailhead until about 10:00 or so Saturday morning. The parking lot was pretty full with few cars parked along side the road.

First view of my first night's destination, Three Fingered Jack, beyond Marion Lake.

At Marion Lake I took the trail along the East shore and headed toward Minto Pass. There were a few decent sized streams crossing the trail not far from Marion Lake. This little guy climbed out of one while I was refilling my water.

Some flowers growing on the rocks in the next stream.

This guy was about as wide as my boot and sitting still on the edge of the trail. His camouflage nearly got him impaled by my trekking pole.

There were a bunch of big frogs like this and many more little ones. I've never seen so many before.

The trail condition quickly deteriorated. There were numerous blow downs and the sides of the trail were getting overgrown. If you wear shorts when you hike approach the trail between Marion Lake and Minto Pass with caution. The trail is in the center of the photo.

But there are some flowers along the way.

And some butterflies.

I dropped down at Minto pass and took in the view at Wasco Lake. There were campers with a barking dog on the north shore and a family wading on the South side. I aimed a shot between them to get a people-free view of the lake.

Along the trail at the South end of Wasco lake is a little tree growing in a crack in a rock. There is an inspirational poster here somewhere.

I continued on into Canyon Creek Meadows. It was nice to get into the thicker tress and I appreciated the shade. I walked to the end of Canyon Creek and up the slope to the small snow-melt lake.

I could see a cairn at the top of the next saddle beckoning me forward to I left my pack where I was and headed up the ridgeline. The view from the top was worth the effort.

Mt Jefferson, to the North.

There is flat area large enough for a tent right next the the cairn.

Looking East.

Looking down at Canyon Creek Meadows.

I got my first mosquito bite of the day while I was taking pictures up here. I was expecting to have much more trouble with them.

To the south there is a view of Broken top, North & Middle Sister and Mt Washington.

This is where the "shortcut?" track that I mentioned at the beginning comes in. From the viewpoint, it looks the the slope down the South side wouldn't be too hard and it is only about 1.5 miles to connect to the trail a little way North of Booth Lake. Taking this shortcut would let you skip about 6-7 miles and all you miss is Jack Lake.

On the way down I paused and took and couple of flower pictures.

There are pools of red 'something' in the flats of the meadow. I'm not sure if this is mineral or microbial but I'll be filtering my water.

A few guys walking up the first ridge.

There were at least three other groups camped in the area. I picked a campsite in the meadow since everyone else was out in the trees and I like to be alone. The sound from the creek made it so I couldn't hear anyone and I couldn't see anyone else's site from mine.

Sunset shining on the rocks.

Crest sunset silhouette.

That night was the full moon which made for some nice pictures of the silhouetted treeline during the moonrise.

I think this one makes a nice desktop background.

Long exposure so the Moon looks like the Sun.

Three Fingered Jack lit by the Moon.

Moonlight selfie, it's hard to hold your face still for 30 seconds.

Sunrise shining on the mountain side in the morning.

In the morning i debated whether I should go back up to the saddle and take the shortcut route or if I should take the trail past Jack Lake. Since I had never been to Jack Lake I decided to go the long way. Here is Jack Lake.

I think I made the wrong choice, nothing much along that section of trail was worth the extra miles. As I was approaching Booth Lake I crossed a creek and noticed that from where I was I could see the cairn I had walked up to the day before.

Took a snack break and a swallow tail landed nearby.

Booth Lake has a nice campsite.

A couple cans of beer were staying cool in the shallows. If someone cached these, I'm sorry, they looked like trash to me so I dumped them out and put the cans in my garbage sack.

Booth Lake seemed to have a lot of fish. They were jumping regularly and I saw them swimming near the shore. Most were 6ish inches long but there were at least two that were about 12", some of the largest i've seen in these small lakes.

The day was pretty gray and drizzly by the time I made it to Square Lake.

Some lily pads(?) in a small pond after I started North on the PCT.

Shortly, I left the PCT and headed down the Santiam Lake Trail. About here the mosquitoes started getting pretty annoying. I decided to spend the night at Lower Berley Lake. It is much bigger than this picture makes it look.

I saw four established campsites at this lake and I only explored around the Eastern tip.

I left in the morning a little before sunrise, suffering the onslaught of mosquitoes while I packed up. Then I remembered that I had packed the head net. After putting that on it wasn't bad at all.

Sunrise Monday morning.

Meadow along the trail.

Blue lake had a very nice campsite with easy access for swimming. The water is deep and clear right next to shore so you can get in without worrying about finding a fish hook with your foot. The mosquitoes hadn't bothered me since Jorn Lake which made this and excellent place to rest in the shade for a bit and enjoy the scenery.

When I crested the last high ridge of the loop (near Marion Peak) this is the view that greeted me.

Yep, that's smoke. Collecting on top of Jenny Lake, I think. I continued on, hoping that I wouldn't have to turn around and go all the way back to Santiam Pass to catch a ride. Every now and then the wind from the North smelled faintly of smoke. I prepared myself for a long walk back the way I came.

Near Marion Lake I met a work crew doing trial maintenance. They told me that lightening started a fire near Lake Ann on Saturday night but it only got to 4-6 acres and was already under control. They assured me that the trail to Marion trail head was accessible. I thanked them for their efforts and left them to their work.

Back at Marion Lake.

This note was pinned under a rock near Marion Lake. There was also a chalk message written on a rock near the day use area directing Nath and Haley to go to their car. I assume that everyone had to leave because of the fire.

I took the side trail to Marion Falls. It's a quick walk but the trail down to the nice viewpoint is not very family friendly.

This one got me and my camera soaked.

dirt farmer

Re: Three Fingered Jack Loop 7/12-7/14

Post by dirt farmer » July 17th, 2014, 8:40 pm

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

romann

Post by romann » July 18th, 2014, 12:03 am

Really nice photos! So much to see in 3FJ area.

I think that red something on the meadow is bacteria left off "watermelon snow". A week or 2 earlier it looked like in the pic below (red snow melts faster than white which is only left when you got the picture). These bacteria can make a person sick, definitely filter water if you see this.
DSC_1827.JPG

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 18th, 2014, 5:21 am

Wow, looks like an excellent loop! I really enjoyed that area last summer. Your photos serve it well.

The shortcut is pretty brutal in stretches. Going down the scree probably wouldn't be as bad as going up it was, but then you hit a good stretch of some pretty jumbly boulders that might be less fun on descent. The worst though, is once you get into the woods. My greatest fear in that stretch was being impaled. The fire debris is everywhere, of course, and often *snaps* underfoot as it's just so darn brittle now. So it's real easy to stumble or trip on it, and it'd be like falling into one of those spear pit things. Heh... Not "family friendly" for sure, but fun. In retrospect. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 18th, 2014, 6:13 am

I've been eyeing that loop for years, thanks for the info.

Nice pictures. I like the insets.

Hey! did you see the beers I left in the lake? I can't find them...

(just kidding - did it say "Clamato")

kaltbluter

Post by kaltbluter » July 18th, 2014, 5:55 pm

retired jerry wrote:(just kidding - did it say "Clamato")
Yep, this stuff. I think it may be marketed as a prank beer, the whoopee cushion of beers. But I fear that I am wrong.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 19th, 2014, 5:50 am

Budweiser and clamato - odd combination...

I don't think I'll try that :D

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » July 20th, 2014, 6:46 am

Great TR!. Awesome pictures and a well described route.

It looks like you have a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1. That's what I have and I absolutely love it.

Regarding the Bud Light with Clamato, I think it's for real. I was at the store in Detroit last weekend and saw someone buying not one, but two 12 packs of it. I guess there is a way of making something that tastes bad taste even worse. To each his own I guess.

Hike on,

Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

kaltbluter

Post by kaltbluter » July 22nd, 2014, 8:49 am

Born2BBrad wrote: It looks like you have a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1. That's what I have and I absolutely love it.
It's actually the UL2. I agree, great tent.

The kids thought the pictures from Canyon Creek were pretty cool so on 7/20 I took the family out to Jack Lake trailhead for a little day hike. I was surprised at how much of the snow had melted in one week.

Almost There, see the kids up ahead.

Relaxing before the trip back.

Where the tarn was a week ago the ice had buckled and raised up above the water.

If you're ever headed to Jack Lake you may be tempted to take Jack Lake Rd. Don't. Unless you have a 4x4 and you don't mind scraping a little paint off on the bushes.

Instead, follow the Forest Service's directions and take Rd 1234. This is the way the numerous road signs indicate. Your car will appreciate it if you listen to the signs.

Moral of the story: Two roads my appear equal on a map but be quite a different driving experience.

fallguy

Post by fallguy » July 26th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Were the lupine and paintbrush blooming in the upper meadow?