Coffin Mtn 7/12/14 Bear grass explosion

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
wnshall

Coffin Mtn 7/12/14 Bear grass explosion

Post by wnshall » July 16th, 2014, 12:08 am

Lookout on top of Coffin Mtn.

My family and I went camping last weekend on the North Santium river south of Detroit. We stayed at Riverside camp ground, a lovely spot with a surprising sense of seclusion, despite its proximity to HW22. On Sat, we did the short (3.2 mile) hike up Coffin Mtn, where the Bear Grass was simply amazing. I have never seen such extensive fields of Bear Grass all in bloom.

First, a couple photos of the North Santium river and some of the flowers there.

North Santium River

Foxglove

Mutant Foxglove

Coffin Mtn is in the old Cascades just west of Mt. Jefferson. These are heavily eroded volcanic remnants. Their rocky tops, when they poke above the trees, provide fantastic views of the Cascade volcanoes to the east. According to Sullivan, Coffin Mtn. was the site of a fire back in the 70's, and it remains very open today, so the hike offers fantastic views of not only the very close Mt. Jefferson, but also North to Hood and Adams and South to the Sisters. Perhaps because of this wide open view, there is a staffed fire lookout tower at the top.

The trail head was an easy drive on forest roads just off HW 22. The trail starts in a dusty parking area with signs warning you that the fire lookout does not have water. The trail passes through a little bit of forest and quickly enters open meadows, which continue all the way to the top.

Wildflowers abound in these meadows.

But everywhere is the bear grass. At the lower elevations, the blooms had passed already, but as we climbed we encountered more and more plants at peak bloom.

Bear Grass over our heads!

After traversing through these other worldly meadows of Bear Grass, the Lookout comes into view, and is just a short walk through a small patch of forest.

A second peak to the West of the Lookout holds a microwave tower, lots of wildflowers, and superb views of the Lookout, and of course all the Cascade peaks. (Unfortunately, the day's haze prevented any good photos of the more distant mtns.)

After hiking under the blazing sun on the super hot day, we were ready to plunge into the river back at the campground. This was a fantastic hike, perfect for families. To make a longer day of it, you could combine it with the nearby 4 mile round trip Batchelor Mtn. You could even bushwack from Coffin to Batchelor for a true adventure.

mattisnotfrench

Re: Coffin Mtn 7/12/14 Bear grass explosion

Post by mattisnotfrench » July 16th, 2014, 4:40 am

Hey, I must have missed you! I was there on Saturday too but I finished Coffin Mtn by 10AM so I could head over to Bachelor Mtn. The hike is exceptional and your photos are better than mine from here. I love the Cascade lily shot!

I also stayed at Riverside during the weekend, oddly. Nice campground.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 16th, 2014, 6:47 am

WOW, what a display of beargrass! That's a great hike, one of my favorites in the Detroit area.

greglief

Post by greglief » July 16th, 2014, 9:09 am

Thank you for the report and photos!
Greg Lief
OregonWildflowers.org - locations, trip reports, user forum, et cetera
Greg's Back

wnshall

Post by wnshall » July 16th, 2014, 4:53 pm

mattisnotfrench wrote:Hey, I must have missed you! I was there on Saturday too but I finished Coffin Mtn by 10AM so I could head over to Bachelor Mtn.
Yeah, we didn't hit the trail until after 11 -- sometimes hard to get the kids moving. There were quite a few other folks up there during the afternoon.

How is Bachelor? Looks like it has similar open meadows, but maybe not as much bear grass? And I gather the view of Jefferson is spectacular.
mattisnotfrench wrote: I also stayed at Riverside during the weekend, oddly. Nice campground.
That's quite a coincidence! Riverside is a really nice campground. I was worried about noise since it's so close to the highway, but the sound of the river helps mask any noise.

Mariposa Man

Post by Mariposa Man » July 18th, 2014, 5:17 pm

Wow... explosion is right! Awesome that you managed this trip when you did. Your beautiful photos are very much appreciated; I went last year but the beargrass had pretty much petered out and the blooms not as plentiful. I hiked Browder Ridge on the 12th, and there were some nice patches of white, though nothing jaw-dropping. Thanks for the report!