Trinity Alps: Long Canyon + Four Lakes Loop 6/27-6/29/14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
RobinB

Trinity Alps: Long Canyon + Four Lakes Loop 6/27-6/29/14

Post by RobinB » July 3rd, 2014, 9:51 am

There have been a ton of great Trinity Alps trip reports lately, so I'll keep this quick. The short story is that the flowers are out, snow's all melted, and the streams are drying up quickly.

We started Friday from the very easy to get to Long Canyon Trailhead, just a couple paved miles off CA3. Note that you need to pick your (unlimited, free) permits up at a Ranger Station before getting to the trailhead. We went to the station at Coffee Creek, which is on the way if you're headed south, and has a kiosk for afterhours use.

The first few miles up Long Canyon are forested, but the flowers were going crazy. Seems like everything's bigger in California.

After a while, the trail breaks into some long meadows beneath Bee Tree Gap. More flower madness ensued.

As we climbed up the meadow, things opened up more and more, and it got hotter and hotter. I don't know if it's getting older or what, but I was definitely feeling the heat.

The hippies on a stick still had short hair.

After more sweating and "photo breaks" than I'd like to admit, we made it to Bee Tree Gap. From there, it was just a short walk above Siligo Meadows to Deer Creek Pass and the beginning of possible campsites.

Yellow lupine! I'd never seen this before.

Siligo Meadows look almost manicured.

The view of Deer Lake from Deer Creek Pass is phenomenal.

We decided to keep going a little further, to camp at Summit Lake, where we'd heard there were a few good spaces. I'm so glad we did! To get to Summit Lake, you have to take a short side trail, and we had the place essentially to ourselves all weekend.

We cooked dinner, took a short swim, and turned in relatively early. The next morning, we set out in the (very!) bright sun to do the Four Lakes Loop. My wife, KRock, was ready.

Me: not so much. For whatever reason, the sun was stronger up there than I've dealt with in a long time. I was pretty good about applying sunscreen, but got burned pretty badly - much worse than when I applied about the same amount of sunscreen climbing St. Helens this spring. If you go, I'd strongly recommend a sun shirt or something.

The Four Lakes Loop gains and loses a little more than 2000 feet over five or so miles. We did it counterclockwise, which meant we lost most of our elevation all at once, as we hiked from the pass between Summit and Deer Lakes down into the Deer Creek Drainage. Here's the view from the drainage, near Round Lake. I bet there were waterfalls a few weeks ago.

And from the trail out of the drainage, up toward Luella Lake.

Yellow lupine again (this time with a friend!).

From the ridge above Luella Lake, there's an excellent view of the red and white Trinities bumping into each other.

The lake's a lot bigger than it might seem from that picture. For scale, in this one there are a few people in the upper left.

The trail meanders a little on the way from Luella to Diamond Lake, passing through a short wooded area and a gorgeous meadow. There were a ton of butterflies.

And ants! I can't figure out why they were so attracted to this one plant. KRock thinks recreational drug use?

Soggy meadow below Diamond Lake.

And Diamond Lake itself.

From there, I took a quick jaunt up Siligo Peak while KRock returned to camp for a swim. There's a well-worn use trail leading to the top, which affords great views of Summit Lake, Shasta, and quite a lot else.

Shasta's hat was the only cloud in the sky.

Red and white trinities: Deer Creek Pass in the foreground, Bee Tree Gap behind.

After sitting at the summit for a while, I trundled down to our lake, and followed suit with a swim. "Hello!"

Sunday morning we got up early (for us...) to try to beat the heat on the way out. It didn't exactly work, but there morning views were still really nice. Saying goodbye to Deer Lake.

olderthanIusedtobe

Re: Trinity Alps: Long Canyon + Four Lakes Loop 6/27-6/29/14

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » July 3rd, 2014, 10:43 am

Cool pictures. I like the transition from the white to red Trinities. I don't think I'd seen that captured before despite all the recent TR's for the Trinities on this site.

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » July 3rd, 2014, 6:44 pm

AH
MAY
ZING

GREAT PHOTOS!

outdoorfoodie

Post by outdoorfoodie » July 3rd, 2014, 9:21 pm

We did the same trip 2 weeks ago, (camped at Deer Lake, though we were planning on Diamond) so no need to post a full report. I'll just add commentary...
NO, there were no waterfalls - it was dry even then. We arrived at the trailhead early evening, and hiked in a couple miles to cut the elevation gain the next day. (They don't call it Looooooooooooong Canyon for nuthin') Ended up having to just find a flat spot when the light was close to fading, and were really glad we had topped off our water at the last creek crossing, because several others were already dry. You saw some different flowers than we did (Leopard Lily?) but I was amazed at the diversity. Those ones near Bee Tree, the fluffy white things, they reminded me of Seuss's Truffula Trees from The Lorax. Anyone know what they are? They were a spent, petalless version of something previously bloomed.

We were at Deer Lake for 3 nights. First 2 nights we watched an osprey circling for fish. Second night he/she caught one, then perched 75 feet away from us, gutted it, and ate it while allowing me to approach with camera. AWESOME. Deer came into camp (at Deer Lake?) and tried to steal one of our sweaty trekking poles for dessert. Coyotes sang at night. We didn't hang our food because there weren't any logical places to do that. Campfires weren't allowed due to fire hazard, and there wouldn't have been any wood anyway. We had the place to ourselves 2 out of the 3 nights, but that might be different later in the season. There are 4 established sites ( one is hidden above the mouth of the outlet creek into the valley) and it is a beautiful destination after that gorgeous but constant uphill hike through the Canyon. If you go in on a weekday, I think it would be worth the risk to snag the only site at Diamond Lake.

Siligo Peak climb totally worth it! even if you have bad knees. The views are amazing.

RobinB

Post by RobinB » July 3rd, 2014, 11:51 pm

outdoorfoodie wrote:Those ones near Bee Tree, the fluffy white things, they reminded me of Seuss's Truffula Trees from The Lorax. Anyone know what they are? They were a spent, petalless version of something previously bloomed.
Agreed! And so was our guidebook: "There's no record of Dr. Seus having been in Long Canyon, but the resemblance is uncanny" (from Lewon, Hiking California's Trinity Alps Wilderness, p. 96). I'm pretty sure they're western pasque flower (anemone occidentalis). This is what they look like earlier in season (photo from McNeil Point):

outdoorfoodie wrote:If you go in on a weekday, I think it would be worth the risk to snag the only site at Diamond Lake.
Agreed again! The only downside of that spot is that it's right on the trail, so if anyone's doing the Four Lakes Loop - and surely someone will be - you'll have company.

outdoorfoodie

Post by outdoorfoodie » July 4th, 2014, 7:23 am

That's funny- I hadn't seen any guidebook reference to the Truffula trees:-), it is just what came to me right away when I saw those flowers. And YES, I think your id is correct. There were a few that still had some ragged petals on them. Btw, your flower photos are gorgeous. The Lily, do you know what variety it is? They weren't in bloom yet when we there, but I could see that they were lilies, and that there were a lot of them,and just knew they would be big and beautiful.

RobinB

Post by RobinB » July 4th, 2014, 10:24 am

outdoorfoodie wrote:The Lily, do you know what variety it is? They weren't in bloom yet when we there, but I could see that they were lilies, and that there were a lot of them,and just knew they would be big and beautiful.
I'm pretty sure it's Columbia Lily (lilium columbianum, one of several that gets called "Tiger Lily"). They were still just coming in when we saw them, but there were a few full bushes:

outdoorfoodie wrote:Btw, your flower photos are gorgeous.
Thank you!