Big Slide Lake Backpacking trip 6-20-14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sisu

Big Slide Lake Backpacking trip 6-20-14

Post by Sisu » June 22nd, 2014, 6:19 pm

We started out at the Dicky Creek Trailhead Friday morning. It was a bit chilly and lightly raining, but the forecast was great, so off we went. There was one other car at the trailhead, so that combined with what I'd read about the hike led me to expect to see few people on the trail. A group of three young men passed us up about half way to the lake, then a group of eight caught up to us just before we turned down to Big Slide. After some deliberation, the large group carried on past the lake.

We arrived at the lake in the early afternoon and we were the only ones there. The lake is beautiful and there were two lovely campsites to choose from. After looking them both over, we opted for the site further back on the lake. Soon, another large group of eight showed up and took the other campsite. They were well behaved and we were far enough away, that we were able to enjoy the peace and solitude. One more hiker showed up at dusk and made a camp on the trail.

I especially enjoyed our morning cup of coffee at a rocky shore right in front of the little Island. There were tons of birds and the weather turned out amazing.

But, that was not to last! About mid-Saturday morning, more groups began to show up. Groups of two, three, six and even the first group of eight made it our way. It was pretty incredible. There were tents set up everywhere! Up in the woods, on rocks, off the trail, on the trail. I was surprised at how creative they were with searching out sites. Come evening, the forest looked like it was on fire from the smoke from all the campfires. It was so surreal and, the hike was not easy (like my book said) so we were surprised to see so many people.

But, you know what? Everyone was so friendly, so respectful and really just added to the excitement of being out in the wilderness and just never knowing what's going to happen next. Yeah, I'm glad I got to experience this. This is only my fifth backpacking trip and they've all been different. Maybe this is common on nice weekends??

We just got back this afternoon. It was beautiful coming and going, but dang! That last 350 feet of elevation at the end of the trail is murder.
Attachments
image.jpg
Big Slide Lake
image.jpg
Tons and tons of Rhodies on the trail
image.jpg
This is smoke from campfires at dusk
image.jpg
The little island
image.jpg
Big Slide Lake from the south shore
Last edited by Sisu on June 22nd, 2014, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arundodonax

Re: Big Slide Lake Backpacking trip 6-20-14

Post by arundodonax » June 22nd, 2014, 6:25 pm

How were the bugs? That area is usually a bloodbath this time of year—looks like they weren't too bad!

Sisu

Post by Sisu » June 22nd, 2014, 6:35 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the Mosquitos. They were horrible Friday night, but vanished Saturday. I'm sure it was the smoke that kept them away. They didn't come out bad until the afternoon. I haven't done enough hiking to know better, but it worries me for other planned hikes.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 22nd, 2014, 6:42 pm

Good attitude about the hoardes of people,..., and mosquitoes

I prefer fewer people, but occasionally it's sort of fun to have more

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » June 22nd, 2014, 7:00 pm

Hey, Sisu - nice report! Brings back fond memories from a looooong time ago! Big Slide Lake remains one of my favorites... how can you not love the little island!? Plus, Bull of the Woods Lookout within easy reach for sunset/sunrise viewing.

Thanks for posting!

Tom :)

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » June 22nd, 2014, 7:46 pm

I hiked to Bull of the Woods lookout via Pansy Lake today and the mosquitoes along the trail were AWFUL. They plagued me from the car almost all the way to the lookout. Thank goodness for breezy conditions at the summit!

I think A LOT of people headed to BOTW Wilderness this weekend. I saw lots of hikers and backpackers.

I backpacked to Big Slide Lake in August 2006. Saw no one else at the lake AND we got to feast on huckleberries! :D

Zia

Post by Zia » June 22nd, 2014, 7:50 pm

justpeachy wrote:I hiked to Bull of the Woods lookout via Pansy Lake today and the mosquitoes along the trail were AWFUL. They plagued me from the car almost all the way to the lookout. Thank goodness for breezy conditions at the summit!

I think A LOT of people headed to BOTW Wilderness this weekend. I saw lots of hikers and backpackers.

I backpacked to Big Slide Lake in August 2006. Saw no one else at the lake AND we got to feast on huckleberries! :D
I considered doing that exact hike today but chose the Pechuck one instead. Guess I got lucky and got the less busy and mosquito filled one. Though I really want to do the Bull of the Woods Lookout but maybe I'll wait until later in the season.

Sisu

Post by Sisu » June 23rd, 2014, 4:34 am

Thanks, everyone for your responses! I think I'll keep the mosquitos in mind if I plan this hike again and go later in the year. Question, are the mosquitos bad at all the lakes this time of year, or are some worse than others? I only got one bite, but they are relentless when they start buzzing all around you.

drm

Post by drm » June 23rd, 2014, 6:15 am

Sisu wrote:Thanks, everyone for your responses! I think I'll keep the mosquitos in mind if I plan this hike again and go later in the year. Question, are the mosquitos bad at all the lakes this time of year, or are some worse than others? I only got one bite, but they are relentless when they start buzzing all around you.
It does vary. If the lake has lots of fish, they may eat up some of the mosquito larvae before they mature. If they were buzzing without biting so much, they may be immature. Don't go back for a few weeks at least!

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » June 23rd, 2014, 6:40 am

Sisu wrote:Question, are the mosquitos bad at all the lakes this time of year, or are some worse than others?
It depends on the elevation and when the snow melts. For example the lakes at Jefferson Park won't be melted yet so the mosquitoes won't be around at this time. By mid to late July, though, that area will be swarming with them.