Netarts Spit, tsunami debris edition 6/18

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Netarts Spit, tsunami debris edition 6/18

Post by pdxgene » June 18th, 2014, 5:05 pm

Wow, what a day at the coast. Clouds already almost completely gone when we got there 'bout 9ish and barely a breeze the entire day. Netarts Spit is one of the lonliest stretches of beach on the northern coast even though it leaves from what could be one of the largest and most often filled parking lots. The one at Cape Lookout State Park. With a bit of wandering Joan and I covered 'bout 11miles and after the first mile or so saw only one couple on bikes and a couple kayakers out in Netarts Bay. The tide was so low it looked like we could walk almost to Three Arch Rocks themselves but it was coming in when we hit the end of the spit and sandbars are not the best place to be on an incoming tide...

Starting out heading off down the spit and looking back at Cape Lookout shrinking in the distance..

Low tide was somewhere around 1130 so it was heading out the entire outward part of our hike exposing endless sandbars..

At first this looked like some kind of World Cup performance art..

But only if Taiwan...

Was playing Japan. You know, with all the stuff that washed into the ocean, how come an atm never pops out on the beach :?:

Moon over the Pacific...

Three Arch Rocks..

Long look back at Cape Lookout from near the end of Netarts Spit..

Three Arch Rocks from the end of Netarts Spit..

Purple beach flowers.. To be I.D.'d later..

Three Arch Rocks..

Some of the driftwood at the end of the spit..

And one of the many sand dollars on the beach. No pics but it was carnage for tons of horseshoe crabs. And a feast for the gulls..

Nothing but miles of empty beach ahead as we wandered back..

Bald eagle.. how close could I get before he took off?

Closer....

Nice cloud background now too..

And off he goes..

Nearing the parking lot the incoming tide is now covering most all the previously exposed sandbars..

And a jelly to finish off the day..

Album here... http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgene/NetartsSpit3
The weather doesn't get much better than days like this out there. Not sure why no one goes there but that's fine too.. :D

olderthanIusedtobe

Re: Netarts Spit, tsunami debris edition 6/18

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » June 18th, 2014, 7:19 pm

Beautiful pictures, looks like a great day. That's a part of the Oregon Coast I haven't explored yet, thanks for the TR.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » June 18th, 2014, 8:20 pm

Thanx!
I didn't even notice it but with her zoom lens Joan could see that the eagle has a bird in its talons.

Roy

Post by Roy » June 18th, 2014, 8:29 pm

Beautiful report Gene Its funny how quite that stretch of beach is but most people don't venture very far. In 1976 I found a couple of glass floats with the net still on them on that stretch and found two more a couple of years later just south of there at Tierra Del Mar.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Peder

Post by Peder » June 18th, 2014, 9:32 pm

You just go to the best places on the best days. Thank you for omitting the food and beverage pictures, or I would be even more jealous!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » June 19th, 2014, 6:27 am

Mmmm...I'm jealous. I love Netarts Spit - I cannot figure out why nobody goes there. I'm glad to see it's as nice on a sunny day as it is on a rainy day - every time I've been there it's rained on me.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » June 19th, 2014, 6:41 am

It was amazingly nice out there yesterday... Off to see if Mt Hood continues that run today.. :D

wolfmoney

Post by wolfmoney » June 19th, 2014, 10:23 am

Wow, amazing day captured!
I lived on the coast for 7 years and it was a rare experience to get not only lovely weather, but also amazing low tides, bald eagles and interesting paraphernalia along the coastline like that.
Looks like it was a fabulous trip, indeed! Thank you for sharing!

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 19th, 2014, 11:55 am

Looks like a mighty fine day.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir