Whetstone Mountain

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxhikerguy263

Whetstone Mountain

Post by pdxhikerguy263 » June 10th, 2014, 9:51 pm

For whatever reason Bull of the Woods has been on my bucket list for quite a while and I finally decided it was time... Having seen the cut off for Whetstone Mt. from the Opal Creek trail numerous times I decided to strike out for this summit...however ... I decided because of time I would take a shorter route in from FR 7020 above Bagby Hot Springs.

Though the trail head is fairly remote the road is in decent shape...and the TH itself easy to find. Once on the trail...you immediately descend a few hundred feet...passing a Wilderness sign ...the trail is a bit brushed in at places but easy to follow... it was a dry day so no worries there...
20140601_105915.jpg
The trail winds down and then back up...gaining about 1600 ft... winding through a beautiful array of old and second growth fir and cedar and hemlock. at one point you cross a small rock field in the bottom of the saddle. At about 2 miles you come to the junction for Whetstone Mt and you take a right and continue to climb the ridge through a few switchbacks.
20140601_113542.jpg
From this junction is it a short hike to the summit... a small bald peak that has some remaining evidence of a lookout tower... but these days all it offers are amazing views in all directions... Mt Hood, Jefferson, and more... a great view of Battle Ax Mt which is next on my list...
20140601_121543.jpg
20140601_123623.jpg
The views just keep on coming...
20140601_125029.jpg
20140601_130818.jpg
20140601_140819.jpg
This is definitely one to put on your short list on a sunny day!
20140601_144048.jpg
"The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

RobFromRedland

Re: Whetstone Mountain

Post by RobFromRedland » June 11th, 2014, 4:42 am

There is a BEAUTIFUL view from up on Whetstone - one of the best views around. Nice photos you took.

Question - I haven't been up there for several years now, but I had been told there was a washout on the 7020 road. Has it been repaired? T
The detour was to take the 7030 road to the point where it intersects the 7020 road near the trailhead. (end of the road).
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » June 11th, 2014, 4:42 am

Thanks for the report. Nice views to be had up there. How were the blowdowns?
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

pdxhikerguy263

Post by pdxhikerguy263 » June 11th, 2014, 7:10 am

Without pulling my map out I think we were on 70o 20 the entire way after it turns off above Bagby...I took the directions off Portland hiker and it led me right to the TH.

Blowdowns... very few..it looked like someone might have been thru and cut a few out this spring already...
"The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

-Q-

Post by -Q- » June 11th, 2014, 4:07 pm

pdxhikerguy263 wrote:Without pulling my map out I think we were on 70o 20 the entire way after it turns off above Bagby...I took the directions off Portland hiker and it led me right to the TH.

Blowdowns... very few..it looked like someone might have been thru and cut a few out this spring already...
I drove the same route maybe 2 years ago and it was fine. Same directions, right from this site (FS road 7020).

Help refresh my memory on how wide the road is, encroaching brush etc?? Any car-scraping brush??
Thanks!!

pdxhikerguy263

Post by pdxhikerguy263 » June 11th, 2014, 9:33 pm

The road was fine...cleared out... no brush.... ;)

-Q-

Post by -Q- » June 12th, 2014, 8:59 am

pdxhikerguy263 wrote:The road was fine...cleared out... no brush.... ;)
Music to my ears :P
Thanks so much for the follow-up. I really appreciate it

miah66

Post by miah66 » June 12th, 2014, 9:35 am

Hi Steve,

Good to see you made it out there. I remember years ago taking my motorcycle through Molalla and Table Rock area and attempting to take a FR 70?? to Bagby Hot Springs. I got to a HUGE washout where the road basically was *missing*, with the detour being a vertical 20' drop into a ditch (which was completely exposed on the right side to another even longer drop) and a vertical ascent out of said ditch. Perhaps only possible for insane motoX types. This must be the one people have been mentioning. It was VERY remote and I didn't have a good map to find a reroute, so I just reluctantly turned around and drove ALLLLLL the way back out.

Nice views!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

payslee

Post by payslee » June 12th, 2014, 10:17 am

Last year I went up to that trailhead in my 3-week old corolla and made the first of what I'm sure will prove to be many lifetime marks on the paint from overgrown brush on the road. Glad to hear the road's been brushed out a bit because aside from that the road was awesome. Good tread all the way.

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... =8&t=16319

Few of the intersections were signed along the way so be sure to study the route first and/ or bring detailed maps with you. I agree - a great trail and surprisingly good road to get there - I imagine the rhodies are blooming pretty strong right now.

-payslee

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » June 15th, 2014, 10:57 am

To add some info:

There's a challenging alternative loop to get to Whetstone Mtn. Start at the road to Jawbone Flats (Opal Creek Rd). Park at the road gate and walk down the road. The trail starts just past the Gold Creek bridge to the left. It loops up over Whetstone Mtn and returns to the far side of Jawbone Flats returning along a very old road along Battle Ax Creek. Return to your car via the road or the parallel trail along Opal Creek.