Squaw Mountain Road (4614) decomissioned

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Underwater Arsonist

Squaw Mountain Road (4614) decomissioned

Post by Underwater Arsonist » June 6th, 2014, 1:50 pm

Road 4614 has been decommissioned at the junction with the spur road 180. Thus the access to the middle TH's of both the Bissell and White Iris trails, abandoned connector trails to the Old Baldy trail are now cut off. You can read more about it on my trip report on the trailadvocates website: https://www.trailadvocate.org/?page_id= ... rail#p4081

bobcat

Re: Squaw Mountain Road (4614) decomissioned

Post by bobcat » June 6th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Thanks for the update. I have done Bissell-White Iris as a loop with Old Baldy. So now the road actually becomes a trail . . .

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » June 7th, 2014, 6:11 am

The trailhead I'm familiar with in the area is just a pullout on 4614 where you can either hike south two miles to Tumala Mountain or north four miles to Old Baldy. From the map it looks like that "trailhead" is before the berm since it's before the junction with 180.

I tried to find information about the road on the MHNF site and found nothing. Big surprise.

Underwater Arsonist

Post by Underwater Arsonist » June 7th, 2014, 3:42 pm

justpeachy wrote:The trailhead I'm familiar with in the area is just a pullout on 4614 where you can either hike south two miles to Tumala Mountain or north four miles to Old Baldy. From the map it looks like that "trailhead" is before the berm since it's before the junction with 180.

I tried to find information about the road on the MHNF site and found nothing. Big surprise.
I believe you're talking about the upper access to the Fanton trail. The berm is probably about 3-4 miles up the road from there.

It really baffles me in this day and age of information that they cant take the few minutes out of their day to update the road info. The last time any road condtions in the district was updated on the usfs website was over a year ago. :roll:

at2010

Post by at2010 » July 21st, 2014, 7:46 pm

Thank you!

Please note that 4614 Squaw Mt Rd is not the same as Squaw Mountain access road (unmarked) that is a spur off of 4610 (Abbott rd). This spur road looks like it has been recently cleared and is passable. It leads to the top of Squaw Mountain. A new smallish cell (relay?, seismic sensor?) tower is there, but was not making any noise, so may not be operational. No views are marred by the tower.