Tygh Creek/Flag Point/School Canyon Loop May 21

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jointhedance

Tygh Creek/Flag Point/School Canyon Loop May 21

Post by jointhedance » May 22nd, 2014, 11:56 pm

This challenging hike is particularly worth doing in May. Parts of this route are cruising to becoming 'lost trails' from chronic non-use and non-maintenance . Some wide open stretches need more loving caresses of boots as the trail is faint. On other stretches, the trail is clear, but blocked with fallen bleached snags. This loop is worthwhile, but perhaps more for the adventurous Portland hiker. ebishop and I left the car at the School Canyon trailhead and walked the road to the Tygh Creek trail and started there for Flag Point, returning by way of the rock garden at the helispot and down the School Canyon in the evening. I have not figured out how to use this forum well, so the photos are small, and this site rotates photos 90 degrees. i must be missing finding some tutorial.
Attachments
IMG_0029 Quick e-mail view.jpg
IMG_0003 Quick e-mail view.jpg
Tygh Creek trail, disappears in places.
IMG_0006 Quick e-mail view.jpg
IMG_0008 Quick e-mail view.jpg
Flag Point
IMG_0010 Quick e-mail view.jpg
IMG_0016 Quick e-mail view.jpg
This is the way, and there were worse jams than this! Could not get through these without scrapes and gouges..
IMG_0020 Quick e-mail view.jpg
IMG_0024 Quick e-mail view.jpg
IMG_0028 Quick e-mail view.jpg
IMG_0033 Quick e-mail view.jpg
IMG_0035 Quick e-mail view.jpg
IMG_0036 Quick e-mail view.jpg

kepPNW

Re: Tygh Creek/Flag Point/School Canyon Loop May 21

Post by kepPNW » May 23rd, 2014, 5:04 am

That looks like a fun one! Best guess on distance?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

ebishop

Post by ebishop » May 23rd, 2014, 5:21 am

It's hard for me to gauge but on the map it looks like maybe around 14 miles or so. It felt a lot longer, maybe for the extra effort of going through and around the fallen trees. What a beautiful area though.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 23rd, 2014, 5:35 am

Cool, thanks! I've come at Flag Point from another direction, and really liked the area. Want to do some more exploring there!

Looking at a map now, too, I'm guessing it was something like this?
capture.jpg
Garmin says 15.5 miles on this loop.
Seems like a great one to do now, while the snow still lingers up higher. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

bobcat

Post by bobcat » May 23rd, 2014, 6:20 am

This is one of my favorite loops although I haven't done it often enough and the tread gets less and less use, it seems. I've put it in the Field Guide http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... _Loop_Hike using Tygh Creek Way as a cutoff (a little adventure in itself). The upper slopes leading to Flag Point are very dry diseased forest, worth passing through only if you also want to make Flag Point part of your day.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » May 24th, 2014, 11:34 am

Great TR, thanks so much for posting.
I really enjoy hiking on the eastern slope as well.

Did you drive to the trailhead via the Rock Creek Reservoir approach, coming from route 26??
Thats the route I have always taken.

Curious if there is a way in from route 35 and road 44 though (past Fifteen mile camp etc)??

Limey

Post by Limey » May 26th, 2014, 4:06 pm

Great TR. We spend a lot of time in that flagpoint/lookout/badger area. We are usually of trail so we know all about high stepping the blowdowns. It is really worth it though because you come across some amazing rock formations and outcroppings that you otherwise would never see.
Q, you can get there via 35/4420. We did it a few years ago when we were on an exploration mission. It is a very convoluted route mostly on dirt roads. There was an occasional gravel road. A lot of the time we were saying "Where the hell are we". That day we finally ended up in Tygh Valley. Probably best to stick to your usual route.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » May 26th, 2014, 6:35 pm

Limey wrote:Great TR. We spend a lot of time in that flagpoint/lookout/badger area. We are usually of trail so we know all about high stepping the blowdowns. It is really worth it though because you come across some amazing rock formations and outcroppings that you otherwise would never see.
Q, you can get there via 35/4420. We did it a few years ago when we were on an exploration mission. It is a very convoluted route mostly on dirt roads. There was an occasional gravel road. A lot of the time we were saying "Where the hell are we". That day we finally ended up in Tygh Valley. Probably best to stick to your usual route.
Thanks for the info Limey. I was hoping 35/44 might be a shortcut to the eastern THs, but it sounds like it might be a longcut ;)