Kalama River - Goat Marsh Lake Loop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Kalama River - Goat Marsh Lake Loop

Post by bobcat » May 19th, 2014, 6:25 pm

I headed up to the southern slopes of Mt. St. Helens after checking my Trails Never Hiked list . The goal was to hike to Kalama Falls from the Kalama Horse Camp, but that didn’t quite work out, so I ended up doing a couple of loops, one about 12 1/2 miles, one small, instead.

Kalama Falls

I began on the Toutle Trail from Kalama Horse Camp and took the Cinnamon Trail across the Kalama River to the junction with the Kalama Falls Trail. Last fall, there had been a makeshift sign here pointing the direction to Kalama Falls, about four miles away. The sign has been removed in the past few months, a portent of things to come. . . .
Kalama River from the Cinnamon Trail bridge.jpg
Kinnikinnick (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi), Kalama Falls Trail.jpg
A trail leads down across old St. Helens ashfall in lodgepole pine, Douglas-fir, western hemlock woods and meets Road 81 after about 1 ½ miles. Immediately, across 81, the trail continues into lodgepoles, but behind this sign:
Posting, west side of FR 81, Kalama Falls Trail.jpg
So it’s official: no hiking to Kalama Falls. Driving back, I noticed the same signs on the gated road that some people walk for a much shorter trip to the Falls.

Kalama Ski Trail- Goat Marsh Lake – Kalama River Loop

Huffing it back to towards the Horse Camp, I had to rethink my plans, and decided to take the Kalama Ski Trail, also used as a horse/hiker trail in the summer. This leads up a gradual slope on a rubbly, rooty tread across deep St. Helens pyroclastic deposits and lahars. A moss/reindeer lichen/kinnikinnick carpet has established itself. After crossing FR 81, the trail ascends a rubbly track to a bullet-riddled 44-gallon drum, whence you peel off to the Goat Marsh Lake Research Natural Area. After you pass through a split rail fence (no stock allowed), you hike up to the lake shore past some big Douglas-firs. Goat Marsh Lake sits in the shadow of Goat Mountain, a recent dacite extrusion. It is, in fact, a rather extensive wetland with two open stretches of water. The trail leads from one to the other. Some truly large noble firs also grow in the shadow of Goat Mountain. The wetland itself is expanding due to beaver activity.
On the high bluff, Kalama Ski Trail.jpg
Mossy carpet, Kalama Ski Trail.jpg
Goat Marsh Lake-Kalama Ski Trail Junction, Kalama Ski Trail.jpg
Entrance to Goat Marsh Research Natural Area.jpg
Old growth Douglas-fir, Goat Marsh Lake.jpg
Goat Marsh Lake and Goat Mountain.jpg
From the lake, I hiked back and took the Ski Trail up to its confluence with the Blue Horse Trail. St. Helens’ melting slopes were vaguely visible under low clouds through the trees, but this was not a hike with any kind of view. I had run out of time, so a side trip to Blue Lake was nixed. The Blue Horse Trail takes you down the slope to the Kalama River, passing some impressive Douglas-firs at the bottom of a slope.
Split Douglas-fir, Blue Horse Trail.jpg
Trailhead, Blue Horse Trail.jpg
Kalama River at the Toutle Trail crossing.jpg
Once at the river, I hiked west to the Horse Camp along the Toutle Trail with the Kalama in view most of the time. The river runs along the base of Cinnamon Ridge and, in places, has cut through at least 100 feet of soft volcanic deposits. Slides have required rerouting of the Toutle Trail in a few spots. The river, which rises from a copious spring west of Red Rock Pass, flows pristinely here and is constantly pulling down 50 – 80 year-old trees as it gnaws at its banks. There are many larger trees on the bluffs, and the spring blooms, most notably candy flower, woods violets, and trillium, are just beginning to appear.
Kalama River, Toutle Trail.jpg
Stink currant (Ribes bracteosum), Kalama River, Toutle Trail.jpg
Big slide, Toutle Trail.jpg
Forest watchman, Toutle Trail.jpg
Merrill Lake

Washington DNR owns a square of land on Merrill Lake off the Kalama River Road; a campground and boat launch are provided. On the way back, I stopped here, posted my Discovery Pass, and checked out the new one-mile nature loop, billed as an interpretive trail but without interpretive signs as yet. No matter – the massive Douglas-firs speak for themselves, a rewarding surprise in a hillscape of rejuvenating clearcuts.
Footbridge and big Douglas-firs, Merrill Lake.jpg
Giant Douglas-fir, Merrill Lake.jpg
Footbridge, Merrill Lake.jpg
Through the alders, Merrill Lake.jpg
Merrill Lake is a natural lake and the largest such on St. Helens’ southern slopes. It was created when a lava flow dammed a creek.

Sean Thomas

Re: Kalama River - Goat Marsh Lake Loop

Post by Sean Thomas » May 20th, 2014, 5:49 pm

Wow, Goat Marsh Lake looks really nice! I've only been up there once but it definitely begs for a return trip. That slide looks crazy too :shock: Thanks for another great TR, BC :)

romann

Post by romann » May 21st, 2014, 11:08 am

Ditto on Goat Marsh - looks more lake-like than any prior photos I've seen of it. One hike I definitely need to put on my list.

Aside from Merrill Lake, do they require Discover Pass on any of these trails?

bobcat

Post by bobcat » May 21st, 2014, 2:50 pm

@romann: Goat Marsh Lake is a short hike from FR 8123, so this was a way to include it in a longer hike. This side of St. Helens has many groves of big trees and the largest noble firs in the world are here; I've put a few of these hikes in the Field Guide (not this one yet).

This is a good early or late season hike. Summer/early fall, it's better to be higher up the mountain.

Hiking north from Kalama Horse Camp you are in the Gifford Pinchot (Mt. St. Helens NVM). No passes required anywhere up FR 81 or 8123 except at Red Rock Pass.