Siouxon Creek_bumpy roads_bridge out? 5/11/14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
daughtrb

Siouxon Creek_bumpy roads_bridge out? 5/11/14

Post by daughtrb » May 11th, 2014, 11:09 pm

Looking to find a more secluded hike on the gorgeous, partly cloudy day I decided on the waterfalls of Siouxon over the higher elevation hikes on my list.

From Portland to Siouxon it was about 1.5 hours with plenty of places to grab some trail food or get gas in Battle Ground. The drive through Amboy and Chelatchie had views of Tumtum mountain, a cone shaped lava cone that really grabs your attention as it stands against large pastures of happy horses and carefree cows. Even a pair of Emus were spotted as I rounded one of the many motion sickness inducing turns of this windy way. It was smooth sailing until my rinky dink of a car, 2WD honda civic hit the FR 54 and 5701 roads. Many potholes, washouts, and deep fractures caused me more anxiety than the thought of driving over one of the cliffs. The roads need a lot of work and some more pullouts for the one-lane parts would be nice. Nevertheless I made it there and back out again just fine. It can be done with finesse and good brakes.

I won't go much into the details of this hike other than the unique parts of mine. At the start a sign said the Chinook Bridge was out. Not knowing exactly what this meant I carried on. Plenty of people were out on this trail. Many more than I expected and at least 3 groups of mountain bikers. I maybe came across 20 people but this is probably attributed to the nice weather and Mother's Day outings. Everything was just spectacular. I loved the waterfalls but my greatest find was a very unique volunteer tree. To my surprise a tree had planted itself on top of a dead one and reached its roots all the way down to the ground. At least 20 feet these roots had to go before planting in the soil. It was a neat find. Keep an eye out for this tree between Horseshoe and Siouxon Falls. Easiest to spot on the way back.

Finally I turned my hike around just before the Chinook footbridge, which had pink tape blocking any further hiking. It was roughly 4pm so I figured it best to turn back there and leave the fun river fording and two remaining waterfalls for another day. All in all a great hike. I will definitely be back in the heat of the summer for some backpacking and a dip in the turquoise waters.

P.S. I do not know how to submit a trip report. Figuring this out was not as intuitive as I had hoped. Not sure if this report will end up in the place where it belongs.
Attachments
IMG_1183 copy.jpg
IMG_1181 copy.jpg
Last edited by daughtrb on May 12th, 2014, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kepPNW

Re: Siouxon Creek_bumpy roads_bridge out? 5/11/14

Post by kepPNW » May 12th, 2014, 5:18 am

Welcome! You got the post just right, it seems. I was just up there, for the first time, a few weeks ago myself. That huge root-wrapped stump is definitely a sight to see. And that road in was indeed a bit jarring, even in a Dodge Ram. :)
daughtrb wrote:Finally I turned my hike around just before the Chinook footbridge, which had pink tape blocking any further hiking.
Is this the bridge that's closed? I'm surprised! There didn't seem to be anything at all wrong with it when we were there.
    April 6, 2014
Last edited by kepPNW on May 12th, 2014, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Hagbard Celine

Post by Hagbard Celine » May 12th, 2014, 8:38 am

kepPNW wrote:Welcome! You got the post just right, it seems. I was just up there, for the first time, a few weeks ago myself. That huge root-wrapped stump is definitely a sight to see. And that road in was indeed a bit jarring, even in a Dodge Ram. :)
daughtrb wrote:Finally I turned my hike around just before the Chinook footbridge, which had pink tape blocking any further hiking.
Is this the bridge that's closed? I'm surprised! There didn't seem to be anything at all wrong with it when we were there.
    April 4, 2014

Yup that's the one, there didn't seem to be anything wrong with it when I was there a few weeks ago either. The tape and signs were up then as well but I didn't notice the one at the trailhead and so by the time I got back in there it was close to getting dark and I didn't know where the next closest camp site might be so I ended up going over the ribbons to make camp right across the bridge. I went slow and easy to make sure but bridge seems fine, also saw some mountain bikers cross back and forth safely. Whatever happened must have been shortly after you were there. I was there on the 14-15th last month.
“I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.”
― Booker T. Washington

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 12th, 2014, 8:48 am

Huh. I do remember one of the diagonal hand-rail supports was resting on a board that had nearly rotted away. I suppose that hand-rail could have given way if someone put all their weight on it? That's kind of a shame. Although it sounds as if it's still perfectly passable with some care.
Karl

LisaDHolmes

Post by LisaDHolmes » May 12th, 2014, 7:17 pm

I hiked here about three weeks ago... It was a beautiful day with lots of water and no rain. The bridge was closed then too, plus the rocky area before the bridge was tricky to cross, so we turned around here.

The roads are in much worse condition than last year, plus they could really use a few road signs for the unmarked junctions that you turn at. Regardless, this is one of my favorite hikes.

Here's my post about this hike with photos:
http://iheartpacificnorthwest.com/siouxon-creek-3/
Lisa Holmes
graphic designer & hiking book author:
"I Heart Oregon (& Washington): 25 of the Portland Area's Best Hikes" and "I Heart Oregon's Seven Wonders"
http://iheartpacificnorthwest.com
Instagram @lisadholmes

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 12th, 2014, 7:25 pm

LisaDHolmes wrote:I hiked here about three weeks ago... It was a beautiful day with lots of water and no rain. The bridge was closed then too, plus the rocky area before the bridge was tricky to cross, so we turned around here.
There was a really nice group of logs about 50-75' above where the trail dumps you into that rocky crossing. We had a relatively easy time getting across them, probably only a week before you were there...
    April 6, 2014
Just really weird they'd close that! Must be some lawyer leaned up against the hand-rail, or something. :(
Karl