Flowers are blooming - Dog Mountain!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sisu

Flowers are blooming - Dog Mountain!

Post by Sisu » May 5th, 2014, 5:47 pm

First time up Dog Mountain on 5-3-2014 and I was not disappointed. We started at 8:30 am with only a few cars in the parking lot. At the .7 mile junction we went the easy route to the right (easy? Right?). Only a few people on the trail, but a lot of people were coming up from behind. The weather was fair. Had a little rain shower and nice breeze. The visibility at the top wasn't perfect, but the clouds were passing quickly and we got a few sun breaks.

The flowers? OMG! I was thrilled! I'm sure it'll only get better over the next few weeks, but I was amazed! I think I may have even broke out in song at one point and I had no idea I could yodel!

I've only been hiking for a few months, so getting to the top was an accomplishment. I was thinking, "man, I need to get in shape" until I started heading down and just about every person I passed panted and breathlessly asked me "how much further? Groan!" That made me feel a little better. Well, for a while. Going down was murder! We went back the same way because I read it's the most scenic and I was so in love with the flowers, I had to see them again. But!! It was murder! I want to go back soon, but I am going to try going down the Asperger's trail.

When we got back (thankfully, without life flight), the parking lot was full.

So glad I did it, can't wait to do it again. Am I crazy?
Attachments
image.jpg
Heading down. This part was great. Last mile? Not so much.
image.jpg
There are giant dogwoods in the woods far off the trail. Wish I could have been closer.
image.jpg
These were one of my favorites
image.jpg
More pretty flowers
image.jpg
Don't know what these are, but I thought I heard a Lorax.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Just amazed I got this shot at the summit.
image.jpg
So pretty! Love, love, love!
image.jpg
My girlfriend, Cylina. It was her 52nd birthday!

chiefWright

Re: Flowers are blooming - Dog Mountain!

Post by chiefWright » May 5th, 2014, 6:53 pm

@Sisu, you are certainly not crazy. But you have been infected with columbius gorgeous beautificus, for which there is no cure. The only way to mitigate the symptoms of this disease (which include daydreaming of beautiful colors and breezes at odd times of the day) is many trips up the Columbia Gorge at all times of the year.

You may also find succor by affiliating with this most excellent organization:
http://www.gorgefriends.org/

Though it is rumored by some they are actually perpetrating the spread of this most infectious disease.

UTurn

Post by UTurn » May 5th, 2014, 7:10 pm

Sisu! Thank you for the trip report. I've been watching for a report from Dog Mountain, hoping to time it just right.

My first time up Dog Mountain was May of 2013 and my experience was similar. That last group of switchbacks coming down, my legs were shaking from exhaustion. But as ChiefWright has stated, I've become smitten with the Gorge and I can hardly wait to go back up Dog Mountain again. (along with a very long list of other hikes in the Gorge)

Dog Mountain is a huge accomplishment! :)

miah66

Post by miah66 » May 5th, 2014, 7:43 pm

Sisu wrote: I want to go back soon, but I am going to try going down the Asperger's trail.
:lol:

Hate to be a stickler, but i had to laugh. I believe it's Augsperger Mountain Trail. Dog Mountain first timer myself last year and it was everything they said it would be. Glad you had fun and I'm sure it'll be an annual pilgrimage from now on!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » May 6th, 2014, 7:45 am

Perfect timing. I'm going out with a meetup group this week so I also was hoping for an update on blooms. I do a lot of gorge hiking and I'm still haven't been up Dog Mountain. I mean after all I'm 57 and my knees have been nice to me so far, shouldn't I return the favor? We are going to come down Augs. so I decided to take the plunge. Congratulations on the hike!! Making it to the top of Dog gives you bragging rights for a good long time.
Woodswalker

drm

Post by drm » May 6th, 2014, 9:59 am

To some lay people, columbius gorgeous beautificus is a sign of craziness. But many who think this are actually suffering from couch potato blight (which has a wikipedia page at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couch_potato). :ugeek:

Sisu

Post by Sisu » May 6th, 2014, 4:38 pm

Thanks for all the replies and support! I'm still sore but I want to go back. OMG! My spelling error for Augsperger's is not my fault! I couldn't remember how to spell it, so I looked online and that's the way it was spelled. Haha! Thanks for correcting me, it made me laugh!

I'm so hooked on hiking now, I'm becoming obsessed like you all. But, what an awesome obsession. I'm going to do my second overnight backpacking trip this Friday. Two nights, any recommendations? Someplace dry.

Cheifwright, I will check out Gorge Friends. Thanks!!

Sisu

Post by Sisu » May 6th, 2014, 4:58 pm

Woodswalker, you'll do great. I'm 50 and like I said, I've only been hiking a short time. We saw a couple of older people, I'm guessing 70's. They were having an easier time than me!

RobinB

Post by RobinB » May 6th, 2014, 8:57 pm

The first time I went up Dog Mountain, I could barely walk for days :)

Lekilei253

Post by Lekilei253 » May 6th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Love the beautiful pictures and tr! I think it's time for me to tackle Dog!