Cold water lake loop 5/1/2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Roy

Cold water lake loop 5/1/2014

Post by Roy » May 2nd, 2014, 7:54 am

Took the drive up to the monument yesterday leaving around noon kind of late and very warm already. I used the AC in my truck from home to when I parked at the Hummocks trail head. It was simply a splendid day for a hike but it was 85 at the lot.

This loop is over 12 and a half miles.If you go clockwise or the other way you have about a mile of road to cover. I went counterclockwise as to get the 2,000 ft eg gain and drop out of the way down to the east end of the lake. I just like the last five miles on the special north shore trail.

So I did my road walking to the South cold water trail head.The pavement made it hotter but a east wind or breeze cooled me from time to time. Only saw one young gal she was going clockwise.That was all the company for the day.

The south cold water trail gets right to business and soon you are above the beautiful lake.

Old equipment from 1980.

I took a water break here it was in the mid eighties.

Lots of eye candy on this ridge.

The decent to the east end of the lake It was pretty warm and humid thru here.

The lake is fed from this valley and snow melt from the back country peaks.

Great Place to have a drink.

Wonder who bolted this rope in the rock and why?

Seven flags on this tree :shock:

Slintercat there were five cairns ;) It was a small slide this stuff was not needed.

This was the biggest crossing just some wet feet but I was almost done.

It fell into the low seventies and felt pretty good.

No idea what this is for.

A short walk to my truck.

It was a good day :)

Like all the hikes up there this one is grand.

Johnstone ridge is closed but with the gate locked it made the mile of road better.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

kepPNW

Re: Cold water lake loop 5/1/2014

Post by kepPNW » May 2nd, 2014, 8:21 am

Roy wrote:No idea what this is for.
Solar powered outhouse! :)

Looks like the trail up to Saint Helens Lake might still be a bit dicey, eh?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » May 2nd, 2014, 8:30 am

Nice TR! I've been wanting to try this one so it's now on the list. Thanks! :D
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

cfm

Post by cfm » May 2nd, 2014, 9:24 am

Hi Roy,

Dang! sorry we missed you. We left the same TH about 0915 and took the first part of your route, but went up to Coldwater Peak instead.
1000 feet to go.jpg
restricted.jpg
Karl, the route wasn't too bad up to the summit block, we left the trail once we started meeting intermittent snowfields but they were easy to navigate. However once we got above the Boundary Trail above St Helens Lake, it was a much different story. The sheer snow fields with long run off on the east side made it just too scary to circle around to the backside and summit. In retrospect, it was fortunate that the gate to JRO forced us to take the Coldwater approach.

Almost!
summit block.jpg
But we certainly are not complaining
usonMSH.jpg

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 2nd, 2014, 9:49 am

Wow, thanks for the update, Jen! That one's been on my mind lately, but I know what you mean about the run out up there. I've been held back almost into July. Still, an unbeatable spot just getting to the saddle there. Love that view!
Karl

Roy

Post by Roy » May 2nd, 2014, 10:15 am

cfm wrote:Hi Roy,

Dang! sorry we missed you. We left the same TH about 0915 and took the first part of your route, but went up to Coldwater Peak instead.
However once we got above the Boundary Trail above St Helens Lake, it was a much different story. The sheer snow fields with long run off on the east side made it just too scary to circle around to the backside and summit. In retrospect, it was fortunate that the gate to JRO forced us to take the Coldwater approach.
Almost!
But we certainly are not complaining
Jen when I was walking that by old equipment Cold water peak was talking to me I sat on a log and pondered about going after it but to many times I've seen the snow on the east side so much worse. Time was not on my side either.

I have only done cold water lake once on a really crappy June day, I was not very well physically to. Glad I did it and really enjoyed it.

It was an awesome day up there and not hot enough to bother me. You guys look pretty happy to.
Last edited by Roy on May 2nd, 2014, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Roy

Post by Roy » May 2nd, 2014, 10:19 am

kepPNW wrote:Wow, thanks for the update, Jen! That one's been on my mind lately, but I know what you mean about the run out up there. I've been held back almost into July. Still, an unbeatable spot just getting to the saddle there. Love that view!

Maybe it will clear out by the fourth of July that would be rare did it on the fourth once but had Ice ax and crampons and used um wife did to.

romann

Post by romann » May 2nd, 2014, 10:42 pm

Nice pictures Tom. Good to see the snow all gone except for higher peaks. Did you happen to see recent elk tracks? Back in the fall it looked like elk's "Central Park", tracks & smell everywhere, it was a little strange to not see them.
This valley is dramatic, with 2-3,000 foot high cliffs & looks like quite a few waterfalls there. Definitely on my list to hike it this summer, and maybe find the right spot & time to take wide-angle shot (cannot get it in 1 or even 3 pictures, and there's always shade/brush to screw panorama).

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 3rd, 2014, 7:00 am

romann wrote:This valley is dramatic, with 2-3,000 foot high cliffs & looks like quite a few waterfalls there. Definitely on my list to hike it this summer, and maybe find the right spot & time to take wide-angle shot (cannot get it in 1 or even 3 pictures, and there's always shade/brush to screw panorama).
Seems like it needs 11 or 12...
:)
Karl

Roy

Post by Roy » May 3rd, 2014, 8:32 am

romann wrote:Nice pictures Tom. Good to see the snow all gone except for higher peaks. Did you happen to see recent elk tracks? Back in the fall it looked like elk's "Central Park", tracks & smell everywhere, it was a little strange to not see them.
This valley is dramatic, with 2-3,000 foot high cliffs & looks like quite a few waterfalls there. Definitely on my list to hike it this summer, and maybe find the right spot & time to take wide-angle shot (cannot get it in 1 or even 3 pictures, and there's always shade/brush to screw panorama).
Elk sign everywhere In the Alder groves on the east end of the lake I passed an area where they bedded. down . The smell was very strong in the warm humid air. Never saw or herd one.

The valley is quite spectacular my photo does little justice to it. I don't know the rules off trail up there but it seems like a peak baggers heaven.

I was really glad I went back and did this hike. I know its a favorite of yours and mine now to.

Its funny I was led to Cold water peak by a cfm - Jen tr and the Cold water lake loop by a tr you posted.

Jen and I have a history of being in the same area yet we never run into each other.