Bald Hill/Mulkey Creek (Corvallis)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Bald Hill/Mulkey Creek (Corvallis)

Post by bobcat » April 30th, 2014, 3:59 pm

This was a walk with a friend just west of Corvallis – about 6 ½ miles in all. Trails and farm roads lead along Oak Creek and through a bucolic setting of fields fringed with hawthorns and blooming with buttercups. After reaching the Mulkey Creek Trail and walking a short section, a spur leads off to cross Mulkey Creek and switchback up an unnamed hill (I’ll call it Mulkey Hill). Camas, all Camassia leichtlinii - great or Leichtlin's camas, was blooming in profusion in the low areas. The woodland here is typified by infusions of Pacific madrone and grand fir, with poison oak climbing high into the Douglas-firs, which it seems to favor. Forest flowers in bloom included iris, larkspur, fringe-cup, solomon-plume, and fairy bells.
Barn on Bald Hill Farm, Corvallis.jpg
Suksdorf's hawthorn (Crataegus suksdorfii), Bald Hill Natural Area.jpg
View to Bald Hill from Mulkey Creek Road.jpg
Great camas (Camassia leichtlinii), Bald Hill Natural Area.jpg
Trail on Mulkey Hill, Bald Hill Natural Area.jpg
View to Bald Hill from Mulkey Hill Viewpoint.jpg
Poison oak on the rise, Mulkey Hill.jpg
Oregon flag (Iris tenax), Mulkey Hill.jpg
Pacific bleeding heart (Dicentra formosa), Mulkey Hill.jpg
Little buttercup (Ranunculus uncinatus), Mulkey Hill.jpg
Feathery solomon-plume (Maianthemum racemosum), Mulkey Hill.jpg
Heading back, we took a tie trail to the complex of paths that circle Bald Hill. On the lower slopes are meadows shaded by gnarly and venerable oaks. The trails then pass through mixed slope forest before attaining the meadows at Bald Hill’s summit. The views from here extend west to Marys Peak and south over the farmlands of the Willamette Valley. On the return, we took a footpath that passed by a small grove of massive, ancient madrones.
Oak tree reaching out, Bald Hill Natural Area.jpg
Poison larkspur (Delphinium trolliifolium), Bald Hill Natural Area.jpg
Hillside trail, Bald Hill Natural Area.jpg
Joggers and Marys Peak, Bald Hill Natural Area.jpg
Tolmie's mariposa lily (Calchortus tolmiei), Bald Hill Natural Area.jpg
Fine-leaf desert-parsley (Lomatium utriculatum), Bald Hill Natural Area.jpg
Pacific madrone (Arbutus menziesii), Bald Hill Natural Area.jpg
Many-zoned polypore (Coriolus versicolor), Bald Hill Natural Area.jpg
Big madrones, Bald Hill Natural Area.jpg
Big oak, Bald Hill Natural Area.jpg
Camas in bud, Bald Hill Natural Area.jpg
Bald Hill is just part of a rather intricate trail system around Corvallis, which includes Caldwell Hill and Fitton Green to the west as well as the trails/gated roads of the McDonald and Dunn State Forests to the north.

jessbee

Re: Bald Hill/Mulkey Creek (Corvallis)

Post by jessbee » April 30th, 2014, 7:16 pm

Glad you got such a lovely day for a walk in my neck of the woods. Bald Hill is a nice standby when I can't get out of town. Thanks for all the beautiful flower pics, which will help me I'd some unfamiliar ones the next time I had out that way.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

Splintercat

Re: Bald Hill/Mulkey Creek (Corvallis)

Post by Splintercat » May 1st, 2014, 7:20 pm

Thanks for posting, Bobcat! Brings back a lot of memories -- when I was in college in the early 80s in Corvallis, there was quite a movement led by the local Sierra Club chapter to "save" Bald Hill, as it was in private ownership at the time. No trails in those days, though we did hike up there quite often - this was taken one November evening in 1981 near the summit:

Bald Hill has grown quite a toupee since the early 80s -- I hardly recognize it these days when passing through the area! :)

Nice report and great photos!

Tom :)